Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

passing bucks

Old 02-08-2006, 11:00 AM

Default passing bucks

in mid november i passed a nine pointer that would have scored around 110". i passed him in hopes of shoting hime in another year. holding out for one bigger one than last year >125but in late january i would haveprobally have shot him.

do you guys shoot smaller bucks in Late december then you do early in the rut

p.s. Major bummer shotgun hunter shot him 2 weeks latter
Old 02-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: passing bucks

Sure do.... I would rather shoot a small buck than no buck. Also, I never limit my hunt to one particular deer....disappointed to many times.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will never shoot a huge buck if you kill a little buck first! You won't do yourself any favors by killing next years giant either! If you are killing a buck just to kill a buck, then you need to check yourself. Kill a big doe instead!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you are in an isolated area waiting for the right deer seems silly. I hunt in pressured areas so if it's brown it's down.

I agree with the above shoot big does. They taste much better!

Tom
Old 02-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

My goal for a certain size buck doesnt' change throughout the season. If I dont' get a chance at what I'm looking for I accept the fact that I'm eating bucktag soup.

Major bummer shotgun hunter shot him 2 weeks latter
All part of the game unfortunately. I'd rather watch 100 small bucks walk by me and pass on them then to shoot one "just to shoot a buck".
Old 02-08-2006, 12:28 PM

I won't shoot a buck unless it's mature with a nice rack. I take a doe for eatin', and then wait for a biggun' the rest of the season. I enjoy watching the younger buck, and I hope they make it to maturity. I know how frustrating it is when they get harvested by someone else, but like as said earlier, that's part of the game.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Spike

I have maintaned a practice of only shooting bucks that have at least4pts on a side and a minage of 2.5 yrs old. Doesn't matter what time of year or location I hunt. No we do not have very large bucks in our area. I do thisin hopes to geta few bucks to make it to an older age class. We don't have agriculture in the main area I hunt, so we have established food plots, apple tree plantings,a good amount of doeharvestingand horn restrictions.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I generally set a standard before season and stick to it. My general standard is nothing under 130" no matter what, here in Indiana we can only shoot one buck a year, so that's why I stick to it all the way through the season.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:21 PM

I killed my first 4.5 year old buck this year so nowI think I will pass on small bucks and only take 2.5 year old or older ones. The does better look out.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

I will agree with THE LONE WOLF on this one all the way. Couldn't have said it better myself. Also I hope the good Doctor reads this as well.

Quick Reply: passing bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.