Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

passing bucks

Old 02-09-2006, 02:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: passing bucks

Don't let it bother you. It will get easier to do as tghe years go on. This year I passed on an 8 point that would have scored around 135. Had he been up north in MD, I would have taken him for my team. Since I was in my back yard in NC I let him walk. Thats a big deer in NC but next year he should be shooting size. I'm just glad to see with all of the developement around my place the quality of deer is getting much better.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well it is pretty clear to see hear, first of all there isn't a right answer. The next thing you have to do is respect others opinions. It is pretty easy pass to on bucks if you see bucks everynight, or even everyother. But if you hunt public land or are limited to very small acreage, and you might only see one buck per season, then the story changes a little.

For all of you that have access to prime land, put yourself in others shoes and try and imagine only seeing one buck the whole season and it was 100 yards out. I bet the next season if you see a buck in range, you will probably take a shot at it. Sometimes you have to see a little reward to keep going. Most of you that hold out for big bucks probably have a box full of **** racks from earlier years.

I feel both ways. I hunt some public ground and even seeing a deer is a good night and a small buck feels as good as P&Y. I also hunt some private land about 5-10 times a year, now my standards are different. I'm seeing deer everynight so my stardards are going to be higher and I will gladly hold out for a mature buck.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:40 AM

I don't understand people who say "I'll shoot a small buck because there aren't many buck around" or "If I don't someone else will". You shoot that small one, and that's ONE LESS buck in your area FOR SURE. If you pass, he gets a CHANCE to live til next year. I'm NOT judging anyone. I know it can be frustrating, and it's easy to get caught up in worrying what your hunting friends say if you don't score a buck...but the wait is worth it. I look at it like this: Every young buck I pass on, increases my chances for harvesting a NICE buck in the future. I passed on several small 8s this year, and I can't WAIT to see them in '08...IF they make it. lol
Old 02-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

krojemann, have to agree, I have only seen two spikes while hunting in my part of New York and since if it has antlers they shoot it, I honestly would not let a 6 pointer or larger pass, sorry.

However, if you go to the southern part of New York or central, you can have a choice and pass if you like.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two things....

1) Have you ever been around public ground especially during rifle season? You will never see as many $hit racks being shot as you will there (altlease around my area) That is why people don't pass on young bucks on public land, because they physically see other people shooting them. If we could get everyone in the state to agree to Deer Management, then we wouldn't even be having this conversation. But since we can't we are forced to see young bucks be taken on public land.

2)Of all my years hunting public land, I maybe have seen the same buck twice in one season. The get pushed around so much.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:12 AM

Well if all the crapracks get shot, how are you seeing crapracks next season? You're just making sure there isONE LESS potential mature deer when you settle. Again, as a hunter, it's you who chooses what you'll harvest. If your happy with young buck, shoot 'em and ignore the people who dis you.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

The crapracks are the 1 1/2 year olds that were fawns the year before. From what your saying is that I should be standing around public ground during rifle season holding a sign saying 'don't shoot anything that isn't going to make the books'or 'don't shoot small bucks so we can have a chance at bigger ones next year' Sounds like a good idea, but I bet almost every other public ground hunter will tell me to 'get f*cked' It is a wonderful idea, but we have got to be realistic, it isn't going to happen.

So like I said, when I hunt my private land, I will be picky~because I can. But the story changes when you switch from private to public.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: krojemann

From what your saying is that I should be standing around public ground during rifle season holding a sign saying 'don't shoot anything that isn't going to make the books'or 'don't shoot small bucks so we can have a chance at bigger ones next year' Sounds like a good idea, but I bet almost every other public ground hunter will tell me to 'get f*cked' It is a wonderful idea, but we have got to be realistic, it isn't going to happen.

So like I said, when I hunt my private land, I will be picky~because I can. But the story changes when you switch from private to public.
LOL...no dude, the sign idea wouldn't go over too well. But I still say "let 'em go so they can grow"...even on public land...IF YOU WANT to have a chance to harvest a mature deer there later...I don't know about WI, but in Ohio, there are some HUGE deer taken on public land every year, so SOME of the little guys are making it. Man, the image of a hunter with that sign over his head in the woods is cracking me up!! Maybe we should all make one and give it a try next year? LOL How many bullet holes do you think you'd have in it by the end of the first day?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:25 AM

I think you should shoot what you want if you want to hold out for a 150 do it if thats what turns you on. I do it a little different i shoot what interests me like 4 brow tines on a 150 class mulie witch is a 3 piont (on each side) or a deer witch is a different color or a bear that has odd markings.Youare all in it for the same reasons cause you like doing it.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

As long as it makes the Shooter Proud and is taken legally, I will not judge your standards.

I would expect the same respect.

Quick Reply: passing bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.