Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

passing bucks

Old 02-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: passing bucks

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Do you seriously think that this following quote is a logical statement? "will be as common to see a whopper as it is now to see a scrub"?
Of course not, and it should have been obvious that neither did the person who wrote it. Like I said, the concept is called "exageration to make a point". Based on your explination, I guess you weren't being sarcastic, just naive. Sorry!

I'M CALLING B.S. ON THAT SYLVAN!!! Atlas is NOT exaggerating to make any point...he actually believes that garbage because he speaks to that which he knows not...and quite loudly I might add. He is dead wrong on all of his ASSUMPTIONS...rename him assumeassman. I tell him honestly how my hunting situation is and he insults me and calls me a liar based on his twisted view of things from a thousand miles away. The videos have clouded and corrupted his views though...and because of that he will never know just how good thingscould be.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

When did QDM become an issue of rack? I was always under the assumption that it was about a healthier deer herd. When did it become warped to this? I has hunted some real heavily pressured public land. In Michigan, I was walking through PL and it was like walking onto a dancefloor, there were lights flashing everywhere. I went back to the truck and slept for a few hours, woke up, got out and stretched and watched a nice 8ptr walking down the road. When I was growing up in PA, if it had horns I shot it. Being older now, I have a very good bowhunting area, where I have pictures of 13 different bucks on a SMALL piece of property plus saw 4 other monsters this year.A few fears ago I startedtaking does and let smaller deer walk to see if I could get bigger bucks. Well I have pictures of a small 3 ptr thatis now large 9 ptr, a small 6 that is now about 140" 8 ptr. But to me QDM, was about making the herd healthier. I went to Massanutten, VA and saw a huge problem, there was literally no vegetation from 6' to the ground. This year I shot a doe, but I took 5 friends to my properties and they killed 5 deer. One real nice 10 pts, one nice 8 ptr, a guys first buck/bowkill 7 ptr, a decent 5 ptr. None of these guys had property to hunt, so for me to help these guys, was a treat. It seems to me that you guys have lost what is important, it's the time in the woods. I have had birds so close, I could see them blink, squirrels run over my legs, I once had a deer kick my foot! I've sat on both sides of the fence and there is no right or wrong, it's all personal decisions. Every deer taken LEGALLY is a trophy and should be treated as such. I mounted my doe and now have 3 hunters that are going to have their does mounted next year and I will be mounting a deer for a guys daughter next week.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:08 PM

Two years ago I went on my first deer hunt. I walkedand posted all day for the first several days. I enjoyed every minute out in the woods and never took a midday break. One day around noon while I was posting, a Huge buck with very tall tines came up a hill and stopped at the edge of a great shooting lane. He was only about 50 yards away and stopped behind a big tree when I raised my rifle. My greatest fear about taking my first shot as a new hunter was wounding an animal. I had just a few seconds at a perfect broadside shot. When the deer stepped forward and was partially blocked, the moment of truth came and I did not take the shot. By then my rifle was waving around and I could not get it to stop. I just could not take that "luck shot" with that heavy rifle moving so much. After about 10 seconds of this the buck had enough and ran back down the hill. I thought about all the what ifs all year long, but was still ok with my decision. My two expert hunting buddies and I never got a deer in 9 straight days of hunting.
Last season a Huge 6 x 7 buck walked right into my range and gave me a perfect broadside shot and I took it. For me patience did pay off.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

When did QDM become an issue of rack? I was always under the assumption that it was about a healthier deer herd. When did it become warped to this? I has hunted some real heavily pressured public land. In Michigan, I was walking through PL and it was like walking onto a dancefloor, there were lights flashing everywhere. I went back to the truck and slept for a few hours, woke up, got out and stretched and watched a nice 8ptr walking down the road. When I was growing up in PA, if it had horns I shot it. Being older now, I have a very good bowhunting area, where I have pictures of 13 different bucks on a SMALL piece of property plus saw 4 other monsters this year.A few fears ago I startedtaking does and let smaller deer walk to see if I could get bigger bucks. Well I have pictures of a small 3 ptr thatis now large 9 ptr, a small 6 that is now about 140" 8 ptr. But to me QDM, was about making the herd healthier. I went to Massanutten, VA and saw a huge problem, there was literally no vegetation from 6' to the ground. This year I shot a doe, but I took 5 friends to my properties and they killed 5 deer. One real nice 10 pts, one nice 8 ptr, a guys first buck/bowkill 7 ptr, a decent 5 ptr. None of these guys had property to hunt, so for me to help these guys, was a treat. It seems to me that you guys have lost what is important, it's the time in the woods. I have had birds so close, I could see them blink, squirrels run over my legs, I once had a deer kick my foot! I've sat on both sides of the fence and there is no right or wrong, it's all personal decisions. Every deer taken LEGALLY is a trophy and should be treated as such. I mounted my doe and now have 3 hunters that are going to have their does mounted next year and I will be mounting a deer for a guys daughter next week.
I agree that QDM is about a trophy herd and that some trophy deer are a side benefit/result...I let myself get pulled into argument of racks too easily but to try and explain to some of these guys what QDM really is and what it will really do would be similar to Galileo telling his peers that the Earth is not the center of the universe. []
Old 02-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bad advice above if you ask me...makes no sense.
After reading your posts wolfen, I'm not suprised but try a little harder. I'm sure in time it will begin to make sense to you.

If you want experience in shooting deer, then shoot does, chances are very likely there are too many where you hunt anyway for reasons outlined in Sylvan's post.
Pretty big assumption wolfen. Actually, shooting a doe will gain you some experience but if you are affected by the "horn factor" at all which most hunters are and especially youngn's I'd say take afew 1 1/2 year old 100 class buck if the opportunity presents itself. Ifneed be take even a smaller one. It really depends on your hunting area, your experience andhow excited do you get when you see antlers vs a doe.Now I'd also say that if the deer population is low in your areathen lay off the doe as it is does that provide for population growth. I wouldn't let some simple minded slogan like "let em go and let em grow" determine my approach to such a rich, diverse and wonderful sport as deer hunting. There's a whole lot more to hunting than that and I'm absolutely astonished that some have actually reduced it to such a trivial and mindless cliche.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I let myself get pulled into argument of racks too easily ...
Oh please, you LEAD it "into an argument of racks". That's what its all about with you guys. Like I said before, you guys aren't fooling anybody, its all about racks, the healthy herd thing is just a red herring that comes up as cover when you are loosing the argument. Your slogan isn't"let em go and let em get healthier"nowis it ?
Old 02-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

...try and explain to some of these guys what QDM really is and what it will really do would be similar to Galileo telling his peers that the Earth is not the center of the universe.
I know what QDM is and I know what itis reduced to when the "let em go and let em grow" guys talk about it and practice it.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

I let myself get pulled into argument of racks too easily ...
Oh please, you LEAD it "into an argument of racks". That's what its all about with you guys. Like I said before, you guys aren't fooling anybody, its all about racks, the healthy herd thing is just a red herring that comes up as cover when you are loosing the argument. Your slogan isn't"let em go and let em get healthier"nowis it ?

OK....here may be a shocker for you....I have great respect for wild animals and whitetail deer especially. 20 years ago I was what some would consider an anti-deer hunter. I was enamored by deer and could never understand how anyone could kill one. I would argue and argue and argue with friends of mine about it until I was blue in the face. I video taped and photographed deer any chance I could get and eventually started reading up on the biology of the odocoileus virginianus. At the time I wanted to become a vet. Over time I came to learn much about the dynamics of deer and their co-existence with humans in their world today and I learned what a vital role that hunters played in the holistic health of deer herds. I had shot an old recurve of my Dad's from time to time and enjoyed it and with more time and the prodding by friends, I entered into the world of bowhunting whitetail deer. My first harvest was a doe 15 minutes into my very first trip up a stand to bowhunt on an opening day many years ago and I never looked back. My first buck harvest came 5 educational seasons later after passing up many small ones and he scored just over PY. I had shot a doe every year for 5 years until I had shot that first buck and in that year I had shot two does as well. Many years I eat buck tag soup but that is ok and killing something with horns is NOT what it's all about. QDM, and all of it's principles is all about the overall health of the deer, and unfortunatley you won't allow yourself to understand that. To accuse me of all people of being swayed by the "horn factor" pi$$es me off. I use a simple slogan of let 'em go and let 'em grow for the simple minded like yourself yet it still escapes you. If I cared so much about the horns then I would kill the dozens of little bucks I see every year or I would pay huge dollars to hunt high fences and I sure as hell wouldn't be shooting any does!!![:'(]
Old 02-11-2006, 10:52 PM

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

I'M CALLING B.S. ON THAT SYLVAN!!! Atlas is NOT exaggerating to make any point...he actually believes that garbage because he speaks to that which he knows not...and quite loudly I might add.
Actually Sylvan is dead on.........if you actually believe I was being literal then perhaps that explains some of your inablility to grasp points that are not the same as your own.

He is dead wrong on all of his ASSUMPTIONS...
Which ones are those??

rename him assumeassman.

This sort of classless stupidty is yet another glowing example of why nothing you say can be taken seriously. If you are unable to have a discussion without resorting to childish name calling then it is quite clear that you are driven and controlled by your emotions and your opinions get flushed right down the drain with your credibility.

I tell him honestly how my hunting situation is and he insults me and calls me a liar
Where did I insult you or call you a liar??

based on his twisted view of things from a thousand miles away.

What a joke of a statement.........coming from the guy who defended his views in this very thread by talking about PA and their "incredible results"......which BTW he never gave one example of despite numerous requests. I guess it is OK for you to speak about places you know nothing about a thousand miles away but no one else is allowed the same rights

Old 02-11-2006, 10:54 PM

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

When did QDM become an issue of rack?
From day 1

Quick Reply: passing bucks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.