Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Preferred Winter Foods

Old 10-15-2002, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Preferred Winter Foods

For late December through mid January, what do you think is the whitetails most preferred food source? Around here, most ag fields have winter wheat, and I'm looking forward to next season, wanting to plant something that there's different that they find more attractive. Whatever I plant, It must be attractive during January.

I'm thinking of standing beans and corn, with rape sowed in the beans in late September.

Anything else? I really want something that's not around to be an attractant. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2002, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Preferred Winter Foods

Everthing that you said. I believe that the standing corn with winter wheat or rape planted close by would assure that the deer will frequent the area. They love digging frozen apples from under the snow if you can keep the apples that long.

Dan O.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Protein is high on their list. The corn gives the carbohydrates which give some fuel to warm themselves, however the starch in the corn can cause acidity and some time's cause death if not buffered with some sort of agent.

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 10-16-2002, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. Do you feel the corn, beans and rape would be prefered over winter wheat assuming they are all in the same proximity?

Old 10-18-2002, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Different at different times.... Depending on hunting pressure and nutritional needs. After a hard frost or two the rape get's quite yummy to the deer... Usually high in protein too..

Old 10-18-2002, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went out his am to hunt. wheat fields are up, farmer just got his corn out a week or so ago. 12-15 deer in the corn. It was only about 40* out, not even what I'd consider to be cold and drive them to corn. Perhaps that's an old wives tail and they just love the stuff? Whatever I come up with, corn will be a part of it.

Old 10-18-2002, 12:05 PM

sounds as though you are definitely on the right track. let us know how it goes.

"Size may not matter but it sho IS nice!" [/quote]
Old 10-19-2002, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

When you harvest a deer, always open the stomach area to inspect. I have never found a deer with a belly full of corn. Always some forage...