Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

BioLogic or Imperial products?

Old 11-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default BioLogic or Imperial products?

Hey everybody, This is my first post. I wuz just wonderin, which is better?
BioLogic or Imperial products?

Thanks[8D]
Old 11-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BioLogic or Imperial products?

Welcome to the board. You need to be more specific with your question as to what time of year you are planting and what type of product you are planting. You can have good results by just buying seeds at your local feed and seed store that aren't as high of price.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

I was looking more towardperrenials and since I live in texas I'll be planting next year in the fall. If a particular annual works better in drawing in the deer howeverI'd be willing to go with that. I'm on a lease so I really don't have the ability to get a big plot going. I was looking for something that will draw the deer in while giving them good nutrition. oh, also it is fairly accesible with a truck if that helps at all. Thanks
Old 11-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

The truth is they both work. Sounds like you want a harvest plot, with it supplementing their natural forage base, as opposed to a destination plot with more emphasis on nutrient intake vs. hunting opportunities.

Harvet plots really have to be timed to the season to be effective. I'm a northern boy, so I can't put expertise on the TX climate and seasons. I can say the biologic works well here. I'm within 50 miles of biologics northern research facility. It is the dominant seed brand of use here. But really, both will work for what you need.

You just need todecide the desired seed before settling on a brand.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Spike

I think they both work good. I've had better success with the Imperial Stuff but I started planting their seed in the mid 90's before Biologic was open.

Call the companies and ask questions. That may be the best way to decide which to plant. I assume whitetailinstitute.com and biologic.com will get you the numbers.

By the way, Phade, the northern research facility you mentioned doesn't use Biologic anymore. I met the guy at a show a couple weeks ago and he wouldn't tell me what was happening, just that they dropped Biologic??????????

On another forum, I heard Biologic was struggling and they sold out. That may be the reason.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Phade
You just need todecide the desired seed before settling on a brand.
Exactly! Don't get sidetracked by brand names. Concentrate on the seed, not the name that packages it. Figure out what seed/plants will work in your area first. Then decide how much you need, how much you want to spend, and where you want to buy it.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's prolly just me but I seem to have as much luck with plain ole rye grass in the winter as I do anything else. I plant other stuff such as buck forage oats, clovers, biologic, etc., but when it comes right down to it , they seem to be just as content feeding on the rye as anything else. I was watching some the other day walk right over biologic and feed on oats and gradually fed over to the rye. Seems that they would be grateful enough to at least act like they prefer the more expensive plots better. I've about decided to focus more on the ground than anything else . . .at least for my location, rye grass seems to be their favorite.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Spike

If all you want to do is kill em, i guess ryegrass is fine.

O
Old 11-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

This time of the yr killing them is my main objective. I also keep feeders out with a soybean / corn mix. As my acrerage is small I have no delusions of management. I rarely sit over this foodplot because the deer are funneled to it by the terrain, and my stand is better set on the branch leading in to it. As far as yr round, I mainly focus on fertilizing the backberry and honeysuckle, plus I keep a dairy feed available to them. Yep, your right tho , my main objective is to fill my freezer.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks everybody, I think I'm gonna go with oats mixied in with clover as oats grow well in acidic soils, also since we don't have the coldest winters in tx the oats should last till spring if the deer don't eat them down. The deer on our lease have abundant food sources with all the undergrowth in the numerous clearcuts. Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: BioLogic or Imperial products?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.