Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Tree Stumps?

Old 08-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tree Stumps?

Can someone help me with a sugestion on how to get rid of tree stumps. They are WAY WAY to big to pull with tractor, truck, or ATV. I am planting around them this year but would like to know for next year.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tree Stumps?

I have read several articles about using high nitrogen fertilizer on them. It works for me cause I cant burn where I live.

Just drill some holes and use something like 30-0-0 which is what I have used in the past. It does the same thing as Stump Rot products and its alot cheaper. I bought a 40lbs bag of 30-0-0 at Home Depot for about three bucks.
After you put the fertilizer in the holes add some water. Keep in mind it wont happen over night . The nitrogen is what speeds the decomposition process.

Good Luck

Old 08-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Can I start the process now or shouldI wait until after deer season. I want to hunt this plot come october.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:20 PM

just pour some deer cane or stump block topper on it and let the deer eat it down this season!
Old 08-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

The plot will be around an acer in size and there are 30 or more stumps. mostly hard woods Oak, Cherry, Maple, and a few Pine ranging from 18 to 30+ inches across. Don't think the deer are that hungry. LOL
Old 08-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

I would imagine it wouldnt hurt to do it now. The deer probably wouldnt go"hey, this guy put fertilizer out to try and kill us!"

Or they might actually say that! lol

Old 08-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Iron Archer

I would imagine it wouldnt hurt to do it now. The deer probably wouldnt go"hey, this guy put fertilizer out to try and kill us!"

yeah you never can be too sure. lol. i would pour some salt or malasas on there and let the deer attack it and then if it's still around i would try the fertilizer in it.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hunter06FlKy

ORIGINAL: Iron Archer

yeah you never can be too sure. lol. i would pour some salt or malasas on there and let the deer attack it and then if it's still around i would try the fertilizer in it.
Yup, thats a pretty good idea too. its amazing what a little malasas can do.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pour a bag of water softener salt on them and put a salt black on them, the deer will tear them up in a few years and they will eventually rot off...
Old 08-15-2005, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Go ahead and get a backhoe or excavator and get them out of the way. First time you hang a disc or bushhog on one of them you will wish you had of made the investment.

Quick Reply: Tree Stumps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.