Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

herbicides question

Old 08-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default herbicides question

Will over the counter herbicides (round up, pronto) kill everything out there when you spray? I am prepping a plot and sprayed Pronto on it a week and a half ago. Most of it has turned, but there is some growth that looks like it didn't even phase it. I have no idea what it is, some type of spreading, low lying ground cover it looks like. Short, small roundish leaves.

Should these type of products kill everything? Or should I be using something else? It was a super concentrate...1oz per gallon of water mixture. It's a small plot, but I want to get everything killed before I replant so I can get the most out of my new plot. All my grasses are dead and brown. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 08-11-2005, 02:56 PM

Default RE: herbicides question

If you mixed and sprayed at the recommended amount for grasses it may not kill shrubs, vines, and woody stem vegetation. Try to spot spray the remaining cover with a stronger concentration or percentage. Read the label and follow the recomendations for the species you are targeting. If you don't know what species it is ask someone, or read the label; sometimes it groups plants into categories ie. vines.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:12 PM

Make your own vegatation Killer:

1 gal White Vineger
1 Cup table salt
8 drops dishwashing liquid
Old 08-11-2005, 07:59 PM

If the herbicide won't kill it I highly doubt that vinegar and salt will!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

i use 41% generic glyphosate, and add crop oil and/or surfactant. i use 2 oz of the gly per gallon, according to the lable. the stuff you had was probably no stronger than 41%, and using 1 oz per gallon seems kinda weak to me.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:17 AM

For shrubs, vines, and woody stem vegetation I would use a 2,4-D product. It will kill "broadleaf" weeds but not grasses. If you want a good kill use 2-3oz per gallon. At that rate is will even kill poison ivy. It is reasonabily priced at $14-$20 per gallon. If you have a TSC or local farm supply storeyou will be able to find it. Here's a link to what it will kill along with safety and hazzard precations:

http://stephenville.tamu.edu/~butler/foragesoftexas/weedcontrol/labels/24Damine.pdf

If you are friendly with any local farmers see if they will sell you any "real" roundup and try that. The stuff you buy a chain stores is wimpy compared to what the farmers get.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:51 PM

Hey Criggster!
Don't knock it if you have not tried it. I did a search on the internet for homemade roundup and found that formula. At first I was sceptical too, but Idid not knock it until I tried it. I have cleared paths through my woods here in missouri and it really works. The vinegar when sprayedon the leaves of all plants wilts them fast and the saltgets down in the roots and kills there.I really don't care if you believe it, go out and spend the $25.00 for roundup which if you look at the ingredients it is 18-25% salt and the rest inert ingredients. I'll spend $1.25 per gallon for something you throw away on weeds!!
Old 08-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

i agree with 2 of the above 3 posts. the gly stuff you get from the chain stores (even like lowes or home depot) is also way overpriced. if i remember correctly, a gallon of 41% roundup from there was around $90. way too expensive.

i'm going to try the vinegar and salt thing on some weeds in my lawn. if it doesn't work, i can always spray it on some potato chips.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:04 PM

Hey Timbercreek,

How much water do you mix with your solution above? I would like to try that.

Thanx, Chris

Quick Reply: herbicides question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.