Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

atv sprayers

Old 08-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Spike

Default atv sprayers

I am looking to but an atv sprayer and was looking for some input. What is your opinion on boomles or boom sprayers, and what sort of spray width you think is best? What experience have any of you had with the different atv mountable sprayers? All input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: atv sprayers

I got the fimco boomless sprayer. I really like it. I would suggest the 25 gallon model if you have a large atv and the 15 gallon if smaller than 450cc bike. I use it around my house as well as in my food plots. works great and sprays a 30 ft swath. give them a look. I mount it 2 my rubicon using 2 ratchet straps.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:51 PM

It depends on what you are trying to spray. Is it clumps of brush, or an entire field of unwanted grass? If it is the later a boom sprayer would work best if the field is shorter than your boom. My dad has a 15 gallon hand-held sprayer that works well for spot spraying. It will reach out there a good distance. Is there a sprayer that will accept both wands? I think my neighbor has a hand-held that will also accept a boom.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Spike

Where did you get your fimco?
Old 08-07-2005, 03:07 PM

I bought the Northstar 16 gal for $99.00 works great. Did not see a need for me for the broadcast or boom sprayer. Northstar had a bigger pump for the money than the fimco.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?storeId=6970&N=118
Old 08-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

I bought it from gander mountain. I can spray with my wand at the same time my boomless system is spraying. It has a good pump. It sprays when all 3 heads turned on the boom a 30 ft swath. The boom is actually the length of my rear rack. do a search on the net and you can find some pictures of it and a video of it in action. it is pretty impressive. I use it to spray my yard for weeds and pest control as an added benifit. I use 20oz of glyphosphate in 25 gallons of water traveling 3 mph to cover 1 acre. I cover 1 acre in roughly 15 min or less. with the boom type you have to worry about hitting things out to the side of your wheeler. they call it boomless as it has spray nozzles instead of an actual fold out boom. when I am going down the side of my plots,I get a good spray on the perimeters b/c it sprays about 15 feet out in the woods. One other model less expensive but not near the quality was the boomless sprayer by great day incorporated out of louisiana. I looked into there mode and it was about 100.00 less. It does not throw as good of a swath as my fimco though. For me, fimco was the way to go. I looked all the sprayers over and I definetely wanted boomless and narrowed my choice down to these two brands. hope this helps ya out. I in no way sell or am associated with either product, just a user of them. do a search on them to see what they look like.I tried to post a link but couldn't. one of the companies that sells the fimco actually has a short video clip of it in action.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:32 AM

I have a lot of application experience and would say the fimco is an OK unit and widely available. They have used lower quality componants in the past and the pumps vary widely in quality. They have a boomless nozzel on end of a short boom with a center broad nozzel. I have reservations with the ones they use. The best boomless is a brand of nozzel called a BoomBuster but they are expensive. The diggest drawback to boomless is that you need pressure and volume that most elctric pumps cannot maintain. And the fimco has poor recirculation.

I dont like any 25 gal on an atv because of unit stability. Professional tanks are baffled to stop the sloshing side to side.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

good points wooddust. I have no problem with the 25 gallon tank on my rubicons back rack. it is very stable. if I had a smaller atv I can see the problem. matter of fact on any hilly country that could cause a problem for a fellow. the fimco puts a 3.8 gpm pump on there boomless unit which puts out about 60 psi if I remember right. I am not familiar with the other boomless nozzle. what makes it so good? I may have to consider a replacement using it if I ever damage my nozzles that are currently on my unit.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to try my luck with the fimco and see what happens. Picked one up today at TSC. Just happened to be in there and saw one. The land in Florida is pretty flat so I'm not to worried about the weight. Will only probably fill it half way when I use it on my property up in the mountains though. Never thought about the stability on slopes untill you mentioned it.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

You should be well-served by a Fimco. I have used one in the past, and it was a good unit. But I changed brands when I changed from a 3-wheeler to a 4-wheeler that could handle the extra weight of a larger unit. The Fimco was just a 12 gallon, and the Wylie I use now is 25.

Quick Reply: atv sprayers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.