HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Atv Plows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/106990-atv-plows.html)

bspencer 07-28-2005 11:22 AM

Atv Plows

Anyone have any pics or drawings of a good ATV plow/disc set up to pull behind their ATV or lawn tractor?

psandhu 07-28-2005 11:33 AM

RE: Atv Plows

how about this?

psandhu 07-28-2005 11:36 AM

or this??

psandhu 07-28-2005 11:38 AM

here's a simple one you could probably fabricate

psandhu 07-28-2005 11:40 AM

this one looks pretty good

bspencer 07-28-2005 12:54 PM

thanks.all great pics............ the 3rd one looks real easy to throw together..as long as i can find the disc plates for cheap

bspencer 07-28-2005 12:55 PM

the first one looks like it would just bend to pieces unless the ground was already half prepared

Hunter06FlKy 07-28-2005 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: bspencer

the first one looks like it would just bend to pieces unless the ground was already half prepared
you would be surprised. those types of things are pretty strong. my uncle has a plow with cultivators like that and they've help up pretty well. unless of course it isn't a strong metal.

answerguy 07-28-2005 01:21 PM

Here's another view of the one psandhu posted:

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/91258i_ts.JPG?cell=320,320&cvt=jpeg

I'm underwhelmed.

psandhu 07-28-2005 01:28 PM

i like the 4th one the most....

fewer moving parts to be lubricated, looks like the easiest to build, and the easiest to repair should anything break.

bspencer 07-28-2005 01:37 PM

im looking for something that can tear up the ground rather good without any other help besides being pulled beind my 4x4 ATV......dont want to spend a few hunded on buying one.......... basicall build something I can add wheels too and be able to pull it up into the woods up the hillside and remove the wheels and start ripping the ground up

Hunter06FlKy 07-28-2005 01:46 PM

you might look online for plans and everything. you should be able to find some i would think.

psandhu 07-28-2005 02:25 PM

about how many acres are you planning on planting, and what is it like?

a few years ago i cleared out a field that was overgrown with brush, saplings and trees up to 12 years old. i had a 35 hp tractor with a boxblade that had scarifying teeth, a bush hog, and a chainsaw. to get several acres done took me an entire summer. the hardest parts to get rid of were roots and stumps. remember, there were probably 500 saplings in this area beforehand. i don't think any kind of atv gizmo will have enough gumption to clear out that land.

and if you do get this area planted, how do you plan on mowing it if it's necessary?

bspencer 07-28-2005 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: psandhu

about how many acres are you planning on planting, and what is it like?

a few years ago i cleared out a field that was overgrown with brush, saplings and trees up to 12 years old. i had a 35 hp tractor with a boxblade that had scarifying teeth, a bush hog, and a chainsaw. to get several acres done took me an entire summer. the hardest parts to get rid of were roots and stumps. remember, there were probably 500 saplings in this area beforehand. i don't think any kind of atv gizmo will have enough gumption to clear out that land.

and if you do get this area planted, how do you plan on mowing it if it's necessary?

If I had a tractor and a bush hog I would clear the existing 15-20 acre field that is being overgrown with multifloural roases(briars to me)..... at one time it was covered in clover as well.....plus the 2 loaded apple trees i nthe middle of it help for deer as well.......

but as for using this plow at most would be 1-2 acres total in the woods on a mountainside .
they would be a few different plots

psandhu 07-28-2005 04:17 PM

i would make friends with someone that has a tractor and bush hog, let him clear out a pre-determined negotiated areain exchange for some pre-determinednegotiated hunting priveledges. you should buy his diesel, and he provides the labor and machinery.

bspencer 07-28-2005 05:07 PM

oh it will be bush hogged..... I jsut have to borrow a friends tractor for the weekend and it will be done...........

psandhu 07-28-2005 05:21 PM

in that case, i would build a sturdy and simple implement for the atv, like in picture 4.

get the hard work done with the tractor, and you can do the finsihing steps with the atv. that sounds like the best plan for you.

bspencer 07-28-2005 05:34 PM

i just seen a price on the first one pictured.... $998!!!!!!!

\ the one i build wont be for the open field it will be jsut for use in the woods..im looking through the Tractor Supply master catalogue now for parts and piece i may have to buy.....hehe

bspencer 07-28-2005 05:57 PM

atv plows

found the parts in the TSC book......... jsut doesnt list prices.I will have to run into the store tomorrow t see how much its gonna cost me......... think i might build one like the last one.. with the chisel spikes....but have a set of wheels on one side so i can roll it over and pull it to where i need it then roll it back over onto the spikes to start work

bagem 07-28-2005 09:00 PM

RE: atv plows

My advice is to get one that is HEAVY. If you don't have 500 or more pounds, you aren't going to be disking very deep. You should also have an ATV of at least 500cc.

bspencer 07-29-2005 01:53 PM

wsent to TSC today.they didnt have **** in stock.... figures!

anyways the spikes like on the 4th pictures one are a little over $8 each........

16" plain discs are about $11 each........ just have to figure out if im gonna use discs or spikes..and if spikes I can make my own

psandhu 07-29-2005 03:12 PM

i'd go with the spikes. if you went with the disks, you'd need axles ($), hubs ($), bearings ($), fittings ($), and more material in general. it's also more things that could go wrong.

besides that, there are no real moving parts in the 4th picture.

bspencer 08-01-2005 10:55 PM

hopefully.maybe......if everything goes right......I;ll be able to start on this tomorrow evening

kevin1 08-02-2005 05:59 AM

I've seen ATV implements for fairly reasonable prices in the Harbor Freight Tools and Northern tools catalogs , both have websites . An implement that has skimpy construction can usually be beefed up fairly cheaply if you have access to a welding machine . Weight can also be added this way .

bspencer 08-02-2005 10:22 PM

if ididnt have a welder i doubt id be fabbing my own up.....lol.......... anyways....... didnt get to start on it...replaced a floor in the inlaws house today....... cant wait to go back to work(today was my day off) so i can get some rest......lol

bspencer 08-03-2005 06:59 PM

well I got the base of it made today before coming to work.....

it consists of 2 pieces of 1'4" thick 6" C channel cut to a 36" length and welded to each other back to back..............

this gived it some extra weight plus a place to add removable weights as well

I think I have most of the plate to make the spikes to dig into the ground...... might have to get some 2"x2" tubing to do the hithc, other part of frame and for the wheels to attatch too

bspencer 08-05-2005 01:59 PM

got my pneumatic wheels today for the plow from TSC for $4.99 each......... freakin Lowes wanted $29 each

Hunter06FlKy 08-05-2005 03:33 PM

spencer sounds like you've got something going here. be sure to post plenty of pics of the finished and not so finished product.

bspencer 08-05-2005 04:38 PM

if igo down to the shop tomorrow I will snap a couple of pics

bspencer 08-07-2005 01:20 PM

here are the wheels I will beusing.they were $4.99 each at Tractor Supply

bspencer 08-07-2005 01:22 PM

here is a pictore of the base

bspencer 08-07-2005 01:23 PM

http://www.mountaineeroffroad.com/members/bobby/DSCF0001111.JPG

bspencer 08-07-2005 01:23 PM

http://www.mountaineeroffroad.com/members/bobby/DSCF000211.JPG

bspencer 08-07-2005 01:24 PM

the tongue between the base and where it will hook to the atv will be 36"

the base is 41" wide and weighs id say about 75lbs or so by itself

Hunter06FlKy 08-07-2005 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: bspencer

weighs id say about 75lbs or so by itself
jeese with all that steele i would've thought it would weigh more than that. looks like it's coming along well.

bspencer 08-07-2005 09:13 PM

it could be heavier....I was just guessing....... thats just the base/Ibeam.............. thte tongue will be made out of 1/4" thich 2"x2" square tube..... the the weight of the wheels and mounts.......... then a few pounds for the spikes/harrows......... when im done it will have a spot to add weight on top of it too

bspencer 08-17-2005 09:12 AM

well....finished it up for now........... took it and tested it out

on soil that is already bare it does a great job in just a pass or two...

but for soil that is thick in weeds/grass its a good rake...haha

heres a few pics

bspencer 08-17-2005 09:13 AM

bspencer 08-17-2005 09:15 AM

http://www.mountaineeroffroad.com/members/bobby/DSCF0002111.JPG

bspencer 08-17-2005 09:27 AM

it tows behind the 4wheeler pretty good.... never know its there until your on a side hill or a rutted out climb..... (it kinda slid over and got my hung on a tree yesterday.....lol

the spikes are cut out of 1/4 thick mild steel..... about 1 1/2" wide and 10" long total.. a point was cut in each one..... then after welding them in place they were heated and bent into a curved shape...

the plow is 41" wide the tounge/hitch is 36" long (plenty of room to add someting to hold more weight)

the legs for the wheels are 14" long total...... cut and attatched at approximately a 35* angle so it will pull over obstacles better

if i add anything to it it will be a few discs for ground penetration ...... thought about buying the cheap one from Northern tool and just chop it up and weld it to this set up