Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Atv Plows

Old 08-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: atv plows

The disc in the picture above works well for me. I got it on sale at Home Depot for fourty bucks. The only thing I would recommend is to take a grinder or something like that and sharpen the blades yourself. I did it to mine to help cut through grass and things like that.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

that looks pretty good.

what kind of welding setup do you have? a few months ago i bought a 110ac flux core mig welder, and don't know that much about the whole welding process.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:51 PM

im using a 220 AC lincoln stick welder....

i need a newer one....... with more of a duty cycle.......

the disc set up from Northern tool is like $160-$170 bucks..wish i could find one for $40......... the discs at TSC are $11 each by themselves

a few of the spikes bent back almost straight but not quite all the way....guess it was from too much heat put to them when bending them....... but its not bad......... like i said it works great on bare soil or something already broken up... i guess using all scap metal and only having to buy two tires at $4.99 each and $3 worth of nuts,bolts and washers to make the axles out of its not bad............... but i ran out of welding rods and was scrounging the floor for bits and pieces of used ones to finish welding the spikes on......lol
Old 08-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

those shanks/teeth look like they are about 8" long. to me, theylook too long and too thin. when you operate it, there is probably too much leverage/torque going to the the point where the shanks are connected to the I beam.

could you get ahold of some railroad spikes and use them instead? i can find them for free when walking along railroad tracks. weld/bolt them on so that only 3-5 inches max will be digging into the ground. put 3 or 4 of them on the front of the I beam and 3 or 4 offset from the front row into the back row. the first row will break it up somewhat, the second row will break it up even more. that's the way all the smallercultivators that i've seen are arranged.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:34 PM

i might be able to find some spikes..thats a good idea!!........... i thought about shortening the spikes in this one...it would keep the leverage down.....plus might not rake up as much weeds either......lol
Old 08-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Anyone else making/made a HOMEMADE plow/rake, etc. to use behind a 4-wheeler.

I am looking to make something that will tear up the ground well enough to plan some small food plots.

TRACTORS are not an option, as there is no access, and I do not know anyone with one.

I also am NOT a welder, so I'm looking for other ideas.

I currently have taken a large heavy log, and racheted in a bunch of 8 inch lag screws (big thick ones), then I have attached a large chain to both ends of the log, and I will pull behind the 4-wheeler.

Always looking for better/easier ideas
Old 08-18-2005, 08:47 PM

try a big pice of C channel............drill holes in it and put long thick bolts on it and drag it?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dampland

I also am NOT a welder, so I'm looking for other ideas.
neither am i. but it's not that difficult. it's about twice as hard as using a caulk gun. it's the same principle. you are applying material and heat to 2 objects. you can weld with 3 12 volt batteries, jumper cables, a pair of pliers, welding sticks, and eye protection.i have done it before with that method, before buying a mig. search my old posts for the link to the 3 car battery method.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:48 AM

Here is one I made a few years back for about 100 bones

Old 08-22-2005, 07:54 AM

This has been a great ground breaking implement. If you cant weld someone will do it rather cheap just ask around

Quick Reply: Atv Plows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.