Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Broadcasting milo???

Old 06-28-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Broadcasting milo???

I need a couple of opinions on this one, I own 40 acres and have a few food plots from the spring that are doing fine, however I dont have a disc to use and couldnt get one, I have this one narrow field that is secluded and has alot of deer sign in the fall it has been really dry here in Missouri but we have had a few pop up thunderstorms lately and are predicting a few at the end of the week..anyways this field is full of native grasses and wildflowers so what I did was go in with a weedeater and cut 10ft. strips really long and would skip about the same distance and do another, this sucked.I then broadcasted the heck out of theses strips. If the rain comes like they say it is, how well will it germinate under the dead grasses? Im hoping for the milo to seed out this fall that is why i planted it now. Any advice on this would be great. This plot is to be used by the deer,turkeys and quail that I have, Im hoping some of it comes up, I over seeded as well (50lbs) for about 1.5 acres.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:23 PM

Default RE: Broadcasting milo???

I would not expect a lot out of it. Without some type of soil disturbance, I would not expect good germination and weed competition will be severe. I also live in MO. The NRCS in my county and many other counties as well has a notill drill available for use. You will need a midsize tractor to use it and the plot will need to be sprayed to kill existing vegetation. There is a fee for the use of it.