Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Tmbering specs- Help needed

Old 05-27-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Tmbering specs- Help needed

I have been asked by the elderly gentlemen whose proprety that I manage for deer hunting to be involved with writing the land restoration specs for a timber companyprior to them cutting. Neither he or I want the the timber company to come in and ruin the land. I have never done this type of project before and would appreciate any suggestions, experiences, stories that you can share with me.
I want to put everything in writing and have the timber company provide a preformance bond before they start work. Someone told me that is a safe thing to do because if they don't come back to do the restoration you at least have enough money to hire someone to do it.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tmbering specs- Help needed

I would suggest a couple of things. Contact your local county forester and seek their help or either hire a consultant forester to give some help. I've worked in the timber industry for about 33 years both on the buying of timber end of it and more recently in the consultant end of it ( sold close to $2.5 million in timber last year ). Having a plan is necessary, but you have to be realistic about what you intend to do, and a layman probably doesn't know all that is necessary. You wouldn't go to a mechanic to take out your appendix would you?
Old 05-28-2005, 09:24 PM

Contact your local county forester and seek their help or either hire a consultant forester to give some help.
Agreed.
Better to pay someone who is non-biased and get a good recommendation on the planning of the forest for wildlife. You don't want a timber comapny to go in there and high-grade the stand or clear-cut too much.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:34 AM

You are on the right track...

Define very clearly the expectations. Example, if the take a tree, what are they expected to do with the limbs and left over wood? Drop and run, pile? Or are they supposed to put all tops in a single pile or multiple piles?

Define what trees are going to be harvested.
Define what trees you want them to take down (at your expence) and add to the refuse pile.
Access into and out of the timber...are they cutting paths in and out? will they grade when they leave? Seed? Or are they going to seleect cut and not make a permanant access?

Basically sit down and write everything you do NOT want to have happen and then a list of everything you WANT to have happen.