Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I would like to know!

Old 05-10-2005, 05:24 PM

Default I would like to know!

I was just wondering? in all of my life i have never seen or heard of anyone shooting a pregnant doe! I've never even seen a pregnant doe! how's that work?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:37 PM

Default RE: I would like to know!

Does get knocked up in Late November (around me) and drop fawns in May (I think) so unless you're jacking does out of hunting season you wont find a prego.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Zoomer

Does get knocked up in Late November (around me) and drop fawns in May (I think) so unless you're jacking does out of hunting season you wont find a prego.
If I may Zoomer, I will try to word what you said a little more eloquently.....CW...The hunting seasons are set up so that you should never be in a position to harvest a pregnant deer (fawns being big enough that you could actually see inside the mother). Even if you have crop damage permits, they dont start until August, which is a good 2 months after most Does have given birth to their fawns. However, I have gutted a pregnant deer that was hit by a car in April, and it was kind of interesting, from a Scientific point of view. The fawns looked like little baby rats, with no fur. Hope this answers your question.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absoluty incorrect! Here in New Jersey the rut occurs in mid November. Our season runs through the first part of february. That time period is over two and a half months, or about 60-90 days.

"at 65 days a fetus has a forehead to rump measurement of 3 5/16 ths inches, at 90 a fetus would measure 6 1/2 in and weigh 3 oz. Dr Leonard Lee Rue "The Deer of North America"

Yes, I have experienced this first hand. I find it surprising the subject is not discussed more often as it is a matter of simple biology.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:26 PM

Well its different all over the country because in Fl there are many periods of the rut. Last year they were breading in Oct. Many years ago I killed a doe down there that was with fawn. he was very small I could have held him in my hand. I wouldn't have shot her but we were runing dogs and I knew she was a big deer. Does that count as two with one shot?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:30 PM

In VA.....the season goes late into March for antlerless. I have witnessed the gutting of a doe bearing a fawn at least 5 inches long. Kinda starnge and sad.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:52 PM

Our breeding takes place from the end of Oct to mid Dec, with the peek around Nov 15. I shot a doe on Dec 28 and she was pregnent(sack with water). The fawn was to small to identify thank god, because my 15 year old daughter was with me for the recovery.Our late bow season runs thru Jan 1, so that could make them up to 2 months pregnent .
Old 05-11-2005, 02:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pregnant does shot in Pa also.there are areas of the state open well in to the does pregnacy
Old 05-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

mossy, sorry you are incorrect. I shot a pregnant doe last year on jan 2. I know this because the butcher told me. she was bred early on. the season that year ran until jan 4. the butcher told me that in this neck of the woods in va, most does that come in that late have been bred
Old 05-11-2005, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: hoyt3

mossy, sorry you are incorrect. I shot a pregnant doe last year on jan 2. I know this because the butcher told me. she was bred early on. the season that year ran until jan 4. the butcher told me that in this neck of the woods in va, most does that come in that late have been bred
How does the butcher know? Do you harvest an animal and then deliver it whole to the butcher?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.