Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Megaloceros

Old 04-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Megaloceros

This animal is the topic of another post that seems to of have "evolved" into a discussion having nothing to do with topic. So I figured I would give this mighty beast its respect by starting a new post.

YES, in fact this was a real animal. I was just looking at the fossil of one of these deer last week. A great example can seen at the Musuem of Natural History.

The Irish Elk, Megaloceros, is misnamed, for it is neither exclusively Irish nor is it an elk. It is a giant extinct deer, the largest deer species ever, that stood up to seven feet at the shoulder (2.1 meters), with antlers spanning up to 12 feet (3.65 meters). The Irish elk evolved during the glacial periods of the last million years, during the Pleistocene Epoch. It ranged throughout Europe, northern Asia and northern Africa, and a related form is known from China. The name "Irish" has stuck because excellent, well-preserved fossils of the giant deer are especially common in lake sediments and peat bogs in Ireland.

Unable to adapt to the subartic conditions of the last glaciation or the marked transition that occured after the final retreat of the ice sheet, the largest deer that ever lived became extinct, the last one in Ireland dying around 11,000 years ago.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Megaloceros

thats an interesting piece of info, i'd just be crazy to see that thing walk through the woods. actually do you know the habitat it lived in?
Old 04-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Much like todays whitetail it seems to have been able to live in a very wide array of habitats.

They also seemed to have a yearly rut as well......

"Many of the fossils found in Irish peat bogs are of males suffering from malnutrition after the rutting (mating) season, suggesting that they lived very like modern deer today where males fight for the right to mate with a group of females every autumn. "
Old 04-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wonder what that sucker would score B&C?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

TimberCruiser, don't be fooled by the picture. It is actually much BIGGER than it looks!
Old 04-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

This should give a little better perspective

Old 04-29-2005, 08:12 PM

too bad that bad boy went extinct..imagine trying to hoist him onto your wall!

slayer
Old 04-29-2005, 08:58 PM

I think I seen one of them this past season!!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:58 PM

It'd have to be very old forest with lots of space between giant trees. Couldn't get through much in the way of undergrowth.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

jeese that's crazy. could you imagine hunting one of those beasts and having to carry it out. that would be supper fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.