Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

confused on other post

Old 09-17-2002, 07:47 AM

Default confused on other post

boy, I feel like a bit of an idiot right now, but I figure this is the place to figure things out. I read in the post about using a shotgun on deer, the fella asked if he could use a choke.

Now, I know what a choke is: it is a narrowing of the barrel in order to form tighter patterns. IE: full, mod, improved.
If a hunter was using buckshot, I could see using a choke. however, if a hunter is using slugs, how could he use a choke, wouldn't the slug hit the choke causing the choke to blow off or the barrell to explode?
thanks for any input. I'll hit you all up with another question on slugs a bit later.

Beej

Old 09-17-2002, 08:01 AM

Default RE: confused on other post

If the shotgun is rifled then there is no choke but if it is smoothbore then an improved cylinder is the "standard" for a slug gun.
I have a Mossberg 500 sluggun and it is an improved cylinder bore. It does not have a screwin choke and the barrel is 22" or 24" (I can't remember) tapped for a scope and no bead.

The foster slugs like the Rem and Winchester are designed for this type of barrel.
Good Luck!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-17-2002, 08:11 AM

Yeah, what Greg said. I have an 870 with screw in chokes and I use an improved cylinder for slugs. I'm not sure if you want to use rifled slugs with a smooth bore barrel. I use the Rem or Winchesters every year and get a pretty tight pattern.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:31 AM

so, if I am now understanding this correctly, on a smoothbore shotgun set-up for slugs, (mossberg 500) the choke is at the business end of the barrel. It is an improved choke, which is the choke with teh largest opening. So, the slug just fits through an improved choke?
If you used a modified or full choke, the barrel would explode?

Old 09-17-2002, 08:38 AM

The barrel wouldn't explode but the pattern you shoot might not be a good. If you shot a lot of slugs then with the screw-in choke, you might blow the choke out of the gun but I don't think the barrel would "explode".
Any gunsmith know for sure?

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."
Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!

Edited by - amosgreg on 09/17/2002 09:39:04
Old 09-17-2002, 08:52 AM

You can use a smooth bore to shoot slugs and if your gun has screw in chokes then you will have to leave one in. Most guns will shoot better with inproved cylinder choke in but not all. My 1300 likes mod. and I have an old JC Higgins that has been kept around for the express purpose of deer hunting that is a full choke gun and will hit a four inch circle everytime at 100 yards which is very good for an old smooth bore without sights.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:57 AM

so is the slug malleable enough to fit through any choke?

Old 09-17-2002, 09:44 AM

I havn't shot any through my extra extra full turkey choke tube. But havn't had any problem with any full choke gun that I have shot them through.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:46 AM

hey guys, thanks for all the information. I think I have it down now. I appreciate all your help.

beej