Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Getting your wife to enjoy hunting? >

Getting your wife to enjoy hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting your wife to enjoy hunting?

Old 04-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Getting your wife to enjoy hunting?

I am faced with a dilemma, I am a coach in Texas where in most places football is a way of life. I live in the Dallas area about six hours from my lease and I have the opportunity to move far south west to within 30 minutes of the lease. The problem is that my wife is a city woman and I about have her convinced on moving just because the cost of living is so much cheaper out west. My question is how can I pull her over the rest of the way and subtly get her involved in hunting where she would start to enjoy it as much as I do. I need help fast and as many comments and opinions that I can get. Thanks for the help.

john
Old 04-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Getting your wife to enjoy hunting?

Jeg, marriage is a 50/50 contract . Believe me it's going to be hard to convince her.
I married my wife knowing she liked everything I liked and go anywhere I wanted to
hang my hat.We fished and hunted together before we got married.That was 38yrs ago.
Now my mother was like your wife, a city woman and could not make her go with my
father hunting nor fishing, yet they celebrated 55yrs together.
Just be good to her, respect her and try to do things with her also.I don't know how
long you have been married, but give it sometime. If she wants, she might come around.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:58 PM

I wasn't really into shooting or hunting until I shot a gun! Now I love it. Maybe take her to a range with a .22 and let her let loose. Start taking her scouting with you. I've never got to kill anything yet but I love hiking through the woods with my husband scouting. It can be very romantic when its just the two of you in the beautiful forest. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Put your other leg in your pants and pull them up.And tell her to start packing if she is going with you. PERIOD
Old 04-21-2005, 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

Put your other leg in your pants and pull them up.And tell her to start packing if she is going with you. PERIOD
Yea thats always a good way to bring upon lots of problems.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:37 PM

I love my wife tremendously and think the world of her but for the love of Jesus I would never want her in the woods or deer camp with me. Hunting time is my time away from the kids and her and work and everything else, and when the kids are old enough it will be their time w/me. This is not a Mommy and me date nor a playdate. I consider hunting far too serious for that. She understands that this is my time with friends and I get to act like a moron with no guilt. If your'e comfortable with her by your side then all the more power to you.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck on getting her to go hunting with you. If she's not into it then I wouldn't push it. My wife and I have been married for 33 years and she has her time to do what she likes, I have mine to do what I like and we have our time together. I've tried to get her to go hunting with me and she just flat refuses. She don't like guns, period. She thinks bow hunting is stupid......lol. Fishing is a waste of time to her. I feel the same way about shopping and socializing with the church crowd. We love each other very much and share a lot of things together.....BUT HUNTING AND AIN'T ONE OF THEM......
Old 04-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get her out walking and viewing the nature first.
Bring along your camera and optics. Let her appreciate the amount
of wildlife the country has to offer.
Maybe take her horseback riding,I sure she'll love it.
It may take more time to get her involved in the hunting aspect
but if you show her how much you respect the animals you hunt,
I'm sure she will be willing to try it much sooner.
Good Luck.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, I tend to agree with Aughts wife, Mrs. Six..... However most of the women and moms I know either love to hunt, or have a very serious Bambi complex. [&:] Which is fine...whatever floats your boat. With many women it is a deep seated thing about killing and they do not look at it as "providing" or "enjoyable". Best of luck to you and take her shooting, get her a .22 all her own and get her hooked on shooting, and nature. No promises but perhaps it will help. Good Luck!

It still boggles the mind that it is so hard for men to find women that love to hunt.....many women have a difficult time finding men that love to hunt.... go figure.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:54 PM

When my wife and I first met she wasn't a hunter. At first I took her out in the nicer weather and we scouted around and just went for drives. As she got to like the outdoors more and more she wanted to give hunting and shooting a try. Now she has her own bow and I've turned my 6.5 Sweede over to her.

Quick Reply: Getting your wife to enjoy hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.