Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Feeder out, but no game

Old 04-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Feeder out, but no game

I just put a spin feeder out about two weeks ago, filled with corn, and see no evidence of deer or turkey visiting the feeder. How long does it take and what can i do to speed the process of helping the game find it?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Feeder out, but no game

Tealboy, how far did you put It from the house and what are you
putting out as feed? Have you ever seen deer or turkey there?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:18 PM

put out some apples and stuff that give off more smell, that is what i do for a week or 2 until they find it then it is corn only
Old 04-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience, spring is not the best time to start trying to draw deer to corn. In my area, there is so much browse to eat that they usually don't show much interest in corn. This year has been an exception though; I have been getting about 250-300 camtrakker pictures per week at my "corn pile". But, I have been feeding at the same spot for a year. I would say to give it more time.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

my deer aren't eatin the corn i have out but are really wearin down the saltblock right now
last fall i put some apples that had fallen off the tree and were just becoming rotten and giving off a good smell and they were all gone when i came back the next week
Old 04-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tealboy, this is a good situation to clear up the misconception that "if you put up a feeder, every deer in the county will come to it!"
When good natural food is available, deer will usually abandon feeders!
I once put up a stand for bow hunting over a feeder in late summer (Texas Hill Country) That evening, I got on the stand and was over-run by deer! I figured that come October it would be like "shooting fish in a barrel!" When October rolled around, the accorns were falling, and there wasn't a deer track within a hundred yards of that feeder!
Another fallacy is that, "you can put out a feeder anyehere and draw deer in." Unless they are about starving, deer will not go far out of their way just to eat at a feeder.
If your feeder is in a good location, be patient, they will come!
Old 04-14-2005, 02:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tough time of year to start.To much new shoots and browes,Plus the doe are becoming anti-social and prepairing a birthing spot.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

A lot of people have alread mentioned it but now is not a good time to put out a feeder way to much natural browse. I went through the same thing last year with a new feeder I put out on my land. Right now they have a set routine once a couple of them start investigating that is all it will take. Be patient and if you have the resources I would put up some trail cams on the trails in and around your feeder find out what kind of activity is going on around you.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

You say two weeks ago you put it out? Where I live and hunt in the Mid Atlantic, green browse doesn't grow until mid to late April, meaning they should be all over the corn for the past two weeks. This is especially so, considering they had to endure the winter with little food and any acorns on the ground rotting after a few months of having fallen.

I JUST heard a news report (4/15) about possible freezing in mid to eastern Maryland. The weatherman said "Why not out in western Maryland and West Virginia? Because the growing season hasn't started there." It WILL freeze in those areas, but is not as much a concern because the buds are not developed enough to be vulnerable. If your feeder is in an area where the growing season hasn't taken hold, I'd be concerned that nothing has been eating the corn.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DougMD

I JUST heard a news report (4/15) about possible freezing in mid to eastern Maryland. The weatherman said "Why not out in western Maryland and West Virginia? Because the growing season hasn't started there." It WILL freeze in those areas, but is not as much a concern because the buds are not developed enough to be vulnerable.
Sorry I forget everyone does not live in Texas

Quick Reply: Feeder out, but no game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.