Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The ultimate newbie here...

Old 04-12-2005, 04:05 PM

Default The ultimate newbie here...

I'll give you a little background. Well, I've been very interesting in hunting since I was old enough to shoot. My firearm experience is as follows (all still targets, i.e. heart not pounding) 3500 pistol rounds, 1000 rimfire rounds, who knows how many airgun, 2500 shotgun rounds (most of these are skeet and sporting clay). I'm 5'9" and weigh 150-155 lbs. I am moving to the Seattle, WA area in Oct. and have decided to start hunting and fishing. My dad wasn't able to show me the basics, faq type questions, since he was always out of town. I'm just asking for basics from rifle selection (currently looking at Rem. 700 BDL SS) to hunting techniques. I'd like to hunt deer/elk/cougar when I move to WA.

Thanks in advance,
-Barry-

P.S. Very nice message board you have here, one of the best/most informative I've seen. I've been lurking for quite some time.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:19 PM

Default RE: The ultimate newbie here...

I should add this:

The rifle is a 7mm mag. I've been told by others on my boat (I'm currently on a submarine in GA, but the boat is moving around to WA) that the 7mm mag. will more than cover any deer/elk/cougar I come across out to distances more than anyone should shoot.

I'm also looking for info on equipment, not just technique/strategy. Anything from stands to clothes. I'm about to buy a new GPS unit, a Magellan Explorist 600. I've done so much research and have finally found one I like.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:29 PM

Sorry, but I keep having ideas...haha!

Here's another rifle I'm looking at.

Savage Arms Weather Warrior. Same caliber but it just seems like this rifle has many more features, fluted barrel and muzzle break. Is this a, 'get what you pay for kind of thing?" I don't want something cheap.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

I do not concider Savage rifles cheap, more along the lines of inexpensive and a great value. It will shoot equal if not better than any Remington, Winchester, Ruger or Browning. I think the 7mm would be a fine choice. Depending on which game you plan to hunt more often, don't over look the good ole .30-06 it Makes a great duel purpose deer/elk gun. Don't forget to factor in a good scope. It is equally important as the rifle. You can't shoot what you can't see.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree, I would much rather have a good solid rifle and a top of the line scope. Welcome to the board.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:36 PM

Thanks, I'm sure that I'll enjoy it here. I'm actually very interested in the Savage since I have no desire to buy a rifle with a wood stock and that seems to be the predominant issue with Savages, cheap wood stocks. I love the synthetic/stainless look and feel it is much more durable. I don't want to get into the sport to show off how much money I might have. I shoot skeet with a Benelli Nova. I love that shotgun and some people at the range have enjoyed it as well.

Also, is there a website/book like, "Deer Hunting/Hunting in General for dummies?" A basic type information area would be more beneficial to me.

Thanks once again.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

You'd probably be happy with the Savage. They have some low priced, great guns. I have a .223 model 110 or something with 3x9 scope that I paid $350. It's basically a beater gun for coyotes but man is it accurate, especially for just having a sporter weight barrel!!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Barry,
Welcome to hunting. It gets in your blood and stays with you forever. You'll be getting a lot of advise from a lot of "experts" but keep a few things in mind.
Most of the stuff, ie: gadgets, that people swear that you need.....you really dont need.
90% of what you see on hunting videos/hunting shows is acting. DO NOT look to them for technique, advise or for what your hunt should be like.
Buy the best equipment you can afford and are comfortable with and it will work for you.

Good luck to you and your hunting adventures to come.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Jacobi,

Old 04-12-2005, 08:13 PM

It doesnt get any better than a Remington 700. BDL SS is a great gun, also the mountain DM and LSS are bought nice light guns. 7mm rem. Mag is extremely versatile, as is the .30-06. as far as glass, basic 3-9 works great. the leupold rifleman series is fairly cheap. I was skeptical about them, but after owning one and putting it through some tough stuff, i'd say it works great. I'd go witha VX-II if i had my choice, 3-9X40. can't go wrong with a leupold. Nikon is turniing out some good stuff, although leupold is american made.

slayer

Quick Reply: The ultimate newbie here...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.