Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are you a "New Age Hunter?"

Old 04-01-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Are you a "New Age Hunter?"

My offer in the Big Game section for a free bookmark for "The New Age Hunter" is good in the Deer Hunting section too. But you might be asking "What in the world is a new age hunter?" If this is you, then read the introduction to the book below. After reading it if you believe that you're a New Age Hunter too, then feel free to email your name and address for a free bookmark, and let me know if you would like it signed. Email to: [email protected]

Good hunting!
Ant

The New Age Hunter
Introduction

Tell ‘em what you’re gonna tell ‘em, tell ‘em, then tell ‘em what you told ‘em.
—Source Unknown

In my younger days I worked for a large company. One day I was preparing to go before an audience of business professionals and make a presentation on our company’s products. I was standing with the president of the company just before I was to make my way to the podium, and after a few words of encouragement he paused, purposefully looked me in the eyes, and said, “Remember, the most effective way to get your message across is to tell ‘em what you’re gonna tell ‘em, tell ‘em, then tell ‘em what you told ‘em.”

That expression has remained with me to this day and I’ve used it as a foundation for many appearances since. I believe it is one of the simplest yet most effective ways to communicate information to others. “Tell’em what you’re gonna tell’em” (overview) gives the audience a general idea as to what will be covered in the actual presentation. This exposure to the “big picture” helps people with their comprehension of the details as they are discussed in the “Tell’em” phase (actual presentation). The “Tell’em what you told’em” phase (summary) brings a cohesiveness to all of the elements of the presentation and reinforces the main message. Since I’m not one to tamper with success I’ll also use this format in The New Age Hunter.

In my opinion, The New Age Hunter is a timely book. There is a lot of confusion about why people need to hunt in the twenty-first century; after all, it’s not as though most of the world depends on hunting for survival. People with anti-hunting agendas attempt to capitalize on this confusion with emotional appeals to support their position and recruit members to their cause. While this may be an effective approach for enlisting membership in the anti-hunting movement, it only hastens the downfall of conservation practices around the world. The New Age Hunter will bring clarity to this paradox and provide an understanding for why it exists.

At this point, there may be a good many readers asking, “What in the world is a ‘new age hunter’ anyway?” Let’s begin with what the new age hunter is not. This huntsman does not own a space-age gizmo with which he or she can harvest animals, nor are they skilled in the art of using new age music to call their quarry. As a matter of fact, in many ways there is nothing really “new” at all about the new age hunter, but then again, he or she can be considered an emerging phenomenon.

The new age hunter is actually an educated huntsman, one who is armed with the knowledge of what hunting is today and what it can be in the future. He or she is also a historian, a link to a past filled with the names and efforts of those who have created hunting’s legacy. The new age hunter is a visionary too, a confident leader entrusted with securing the future of the sport.

The new age hunter is an individual who wisely examines times past in order to understand how hunting and conservation have combined to benefit humans and wildlife and passes on this knowledge to be used as a roadmap by the next generation.

The new age hunter is one that employs the latest technologies and cutting-edge science to better the lot of wildlife and natural resources, but he or she also appreciates their role in the complex workings of nature. The new age hunter is a new inspiration for society’s fascination with the outdoors but is also an old, reliable workhorse of time-tested conservation practices.

The new age hunter is the enlightened spiritual being and an all encompassing beacon for others to follow, but at the same time he or she is a mere reflection of early man in our appreciation for wildlife. The new age hunter is a scientist, archeologist, biologist, theologian, sociologist, hunting expert, and educator of wildlife-management practices, all rolled up into one.

On the one hand, the new age hunter is an anarchist who advocates change for the benefit of our precious natural resources and wildlife; on the other hand, he or she is a bureaucrat whose inertia helps preserve our rich hunting traditions. The new age hunter is a progressive of sorts, someone who understands the timeless mission of hunting and who infuses it with vitality, fills it with purpose, and makes use of this to raise the awareness of others.

I hope The New Age Hunter helps the huntsman to understand the central importance of his or her role and helps them realize that time is of the essence regarding this endeavor. The world is changing rapidly and we must secure hunting’s place as the sentinel of a sound ecology and the fulcrum to its future.

What follows is the blueprint for the new age hunter.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are you a "New Age Hunter?"

That was the first post I actually fell asleep reading!!!!!! Holy crap that was boring.........sorry dude []
Old 04-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm getting the feeling that you wrote a book that isn't selling so well...
Old 04-05-2005, 05:33 PM

Well, I guess you guys now have something to help you to get to sleep on those wrestless nights instead of depending on sleeping pills or your ADD meds. It's not what I intended but glad I could be of some help.

The offer is still good for a bookmark if you think you could use one.

Regards
Ant
Old 04-05-2005, 09:07 PM

Ant,

I know you from newjerseyhunter.com as well... Does that mean I get a free copy of the book to go with my bookmark?

It makes sense to me, but I only read part of it....Im dead tired, so....Ill take another look again tomorrow.

I may be interested in your book though...sounds good so far.

I especially liked the first part about the tell em what your gonna tell em.....That could really help with my new second job Im starting up in Sales.....Im gonna tell em so many dang times they are gonna say yes just to get rid of me....hahahahaha....They can scream no in my ear, and I wont hear it.....but they can whisper yes from 300 yards away and I WILL hear that....write that one down, thats another good one.

Heres another one.....Competence breeds Confidence!

Have a good one---Matt
Old 04-07-2005, 11:16 AM

Thanks Mattiac. I appreciate the support.

Also thanks to Mossy33oak for the followup pm I received.

I must say there are some people on this forum that have a lot of class.

Ant
Old 04-07-2005, 01:41 PM

I'd certainly like to read more. IMO the biggest weakness of todays hunter it is that we are lazy and unorganized. Actually that was two weaknesses but they both fit. We take what we have for granted, and do very little if anything to protect our sport. While we sit around taking hunting for granted the anti's are active, well organized and mobil for their cause. If hunters weren't just flat out right about hunting the antis would have had our sport long ago, up on their mantle just as we have our deer heads.

I'd love to read more of this book. If todays "new age hunters" don't get ourselves organized it'll be out kids who suffer. Please send me the bookmark and also information on where I can find this book.

Thanks,
Adams
Old 04-07-2005, 02:31 PM

You make some great points. The fact is that most of hunters want to do what we love most - hunt. And why not, since many of us work during the day and have other obligations when we're not working - like raising families, maintaining our homes. So we devote what little free time we have after seeing to our obligations to hunting.

The New Age Hunter was written so that we can understand why we have the instinct to
hunt, as well as the important role hunters play in conservation efforts and wildlife
management. In my opinion we need to be able to articulate the critical roles that hunters
play for those non-hunters who are making up their mind about hunting. As it stands
non-hunters get their news from TV and newspapers which are an extension of the
anti-hunting agenda. So hunters are portrayed as mindless killers, not as guardians of
wildlife and conservation.

What The New Age Hunter does is explain how hunters can expand their role from hunter to educator. The fact is that many hunters don't take on the role of educators but we certainly can't expect the antis or media to give up their wrongheaded views and do so. We can't leave it to up to them but to a certain degree we have been. You probably won't believe this but there are MORE hunters than there are anti hunters (there are about 13,000,000 hunters and this number has been one the decline). In the book I also report that 67% of Americans approve of hunting (only 7% of Americans actually hunt). Just think of the opportunity we have to increase this percentage since the 33% who don't approve have only had the antis to listen to.

The New Age Hunter also has a chapter about the future of hunting. It looks at the forces
working against hunting from the "anti" movement, ecoterrorism, habitat removal,
population trends, politics, and more. It also suggests some ways to counter these forces.

The bottom line is we really don't need to take away from our hunting time to become new age hunters. Much of the info is available at our disposal and The New Age Hunter is a resource that provides the hunter with knowledge, direction, and purpose. I believe it is in the best interest of every huntsman of huntswoman to become new age hunters. We will need to be if hunting is to survive in throughout the 21st century and beyond. That's why I wrote the book.

Below is a link to a what I feel is an accurate review of the book.

http://www.womenhunters.com/new-age-...-kimberly.html

You can also visit my website at:
www.anthonypmaurosr.com

It can be purchased at amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, booksamillion.com, and just about any internet book seller. It can also be ordered in most book stores but they probably won't have it in stock.

You can see reviews on the book at my website including the NRA (American Hunter
magazine).

Anyone can pm me or email me for a free signed book mark. Emails can be sent to
[email protected]

Thanks
Ant
Old 04-07-2005, 04:09 PM

i didn't read the whole thing but most of it and i think you have a lot of good points out their. the beging was slow and didn't really get to the point and i think a lot of people stoped reading their. however the rest was quite good if you ask me
Old 04-07-2005, 07:35 PM

Thanks killer243

I agree. The Introduction of this book is kind of a teaser and it might account for its slow ramp up. There are a lot of issues covered in the book and they cover a wide spectrum -from the heights of the hunting's spiritual aspects to the monotony of coming up empty on a grueling hunt.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ant

Quick Reply: Are you a "New Age Hunter?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.