Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Bear Hunts in Canada ... Question? >

Bear Hunts in Canada ... Question?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bear Hunts in Canada ... Question?

Old 03-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bear Hunts in Canada ... Question?

I have done some research on bear hunts in Canada and have come across something I would like to share with you guys to get your opinion. I have checked with several outfitters and most want to charge you a flat fee for a bear hunt where you are allowed to take one bear. The thing that I find questionable is that then most want to offer you a SECOND bear for a trophy fee of $500.00 or MORE which brings me to my qusetion. The way I understand the purchase of a bear tag is that when the tag is purchased in a "Two" bear zone that the tag bought by the outfitter allows the tag holder to harvest two bears not just one and if that is the case how can the outfitter sell that tag to a hunter as a "One" bear tag and then charge him ANOTHER $500.00 for a second bear? I want to make it clear that not ALL outfitters do it this way some allow you the two bears without a "trophy" fee but MOST of the outfitters I have talked with do want to charge you for that second bear. I know the simple answere is just to find an outfitter who allows you to take the two for one price BUT it seems to me some of the outfitters are trying to double charge you ... have anu of you guys come across this and if so what is your opinion?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear Hunts in Canada ... Question?

Some of the outfitters that charge for the second bear do so for the same reason that some deer outfitters charge for a second deer.That reason being to prevent a hunter from shooting a second bear or deer just to fill the second tag.If you are going to pay for the second tag you are more likely to hold out for a trophy animal instead of the next reasonable animal that comes along.As well,some of the outfitters charging for the second bear offer their basic bear hunt for a lower price.Many outfitters charge more up front instead of charging for a second bear.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:13 PM

I would think that since you already filled your tag, why not charge the hunter more? I figure there will probably be another hunter in the same stand over the same bait during the following week. Probably to give another hunter a better chance to get a bear, and up the % rate for their brochures.Also double the work.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:18 PM

[8D] i am in the deerhunting forum right?[:-]
Old 03-24-2005, 04:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some of the outfitters that charge for the second bear do so for the same reason that some deer outfitters charge for a second deer.That reason being to prevent a hunter from shooting a second bear or deer just to fill the second tag.If you are going to pay for the second tag you are more likely to hold out for a trophy animal instead of the next reasonable animal that comes along.As well,some of the outfitters charging for the second bear offer their basic bear hunt for a lower price.Many outfitters charge more up front instead of charging for a second bear.
I appreciate your outlook on this topic but I think the point I was trying to make is that if your hunting fee includes the bear tag then the tag actually belongs to you NOT the outfitter and if it done then why should you have to pay a second fee to the outfitter for the second bear? I understand that some of the outfitters use this to keep some hunters from shooting "smaller" bears BUT I am not sure that it is NOT just a way for them to make more money on a tage that YOU have already paid for. I am not trying to start a stink here ...just asking opinions .....
Old 03-24-2005, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am not sure that it is NOT just a way for them to make more money on a tage that YOU have already paid for.
Let me restate part of my previous post:

As well,some of the outfitters charging for the second bear offer their basic bear hunt for a lower price.Many outfitters charge more up front instead of charging for a second bear.
Overall you will not likely pay more for the hunt either way if you kill two bears ,but you may actually spend less if you kill only one bear.I have been on hunts where you pay a base price for the hunt and then additional trophy fees for each animal taken.When you added the trophy fees to the base price the total was no more than the cost of other outfitters hunts that charged a fixed price with no trophy fees.If for some reason you failed to take a certain animal you would actually save money with the trophy fee setup.