Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

TX deer limit question

Old 09-11-2002, 07:54 PM

Default TX deer limit question

Guys,

I have a deer lease in a 5 deer county and an opportunity for another in a one buck county. Is there a total limit imposed for taking deer in TX? I doubt I will even come close to 6 but just to satisfy my curiosity, can I take all 6 deer?

Thanks

"If at first you don't succeed, maybe cliff diving is not for you." -- Steven Wright
Old 09-11-2002, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TX deer limit question

Last time I looked in the Texas Dept of Parks and Wildlife regs, they had a total limit on deer. I can't really remember what it was but if you look on their website you should be able to find it.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, the most you can take per year is 5, unless you are on a state supported Deer Management Program. With the program in place you are allowed more anterless tags. In a 5 deer county, the most you can kill is a combination of 2 bucks & 3 does or up to 5 anterless. I am in a 3 deer (1 buck) county and I have no problem limiting out every year. If I wanted, I could easily limit out in the forst month, but I reserve some of my tags, because we not only have a long season, but I take my kids with me and they like to see me take one. My oldest daughter is ready to try and take her first one this year. I can't wait.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:59 PM

I have had questions about this also. So since the total bag limit is five, then in theory I can take three in Nacogdoches County (one buck, two antlerless)and then another two antlerless in Angelina County, right? Or does it mean that in order to harvest five deer, you have to be in a five deer county? Thanks.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:03 AM

5 total. look at the tags, 1 will say 1,2, or 3 buck county.the other buck tags will say 2 or 3 buck county.If you use the wrong one you could be screwing your self!

Hurry up and wait.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kry, the only way that you can legally take 5 deer is to be hunting in a 5 deer county.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:11 PM

OK guys so now that I know the limit, how does the tagging work? If I'm in my 5 deer county which tags do I use first? And how do I physically "tag" a deer? (Obviously this is my first time deer hunting)

"If at first you don't succeed, maybe cliff diving is not for you." -- Steven Wright

Edited by - newbirdhunter on 09/12/2002 18:13:51
Old 09-12-2002, 07:00 PM

Jag,

Where can I find that in writing? The outdoor annual doesn't say anything about having to be in a 5 deer county to take 5 deer. It only specifies certain regulations about 1 buck (east/west zone) and 2 buck counties as it specifically sets the combined buck bag limit in those counties. The annual leads me to believe that the same is not so for antlerless as long as you don't violate the particular county antlerless bag limit that you're hunting in, as well as the state bag limit. Not trying to be argumentative or a deer-hog, I am just kind of anal when it comes to knowing the game laws, as I guess we all have a responsibility to be. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kry,
I looked in the new Texas Outdoor Annual, and you are right , I don't see anything there either.
I have not bought my new licence yet though. It may say on one of the tags that it will be valid only in a 5 deer county. If not, then you should be able to take the does!
Frank
Old 09-14-2002, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

5 deer total in Texas

Quick Reply: TX deer limit question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.