Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Electric fences???

Old 03-07-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Electric fences???

I need to build pens around my feeders. . . .after looking at cost, installion and matainence it seems that putting up a hot wire is the best choice. Will I have any problems with the Deer jumping these wires. Top strand will be 40".

Thanks,
Old 03-07-2005, 12:47 PM

Default RE: Electric fences???

You should not have a problem at all. I grew around where you are and we ran hot wire around the hous to keep the cows and horses out and we still find deer tracks in the garden.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Dominant Buck

GeorgeTown,
Use to have honey bee's and had to install electric fencing around them,because of the
bears. Try to use a box with gold points,they will last longer.The first few times you
use it, it will remind you that it is working.Depends on cost and how fancy you want
to make it.Get different prices on different models.Sear's had them in thier Farm
catalog.See them there to see what you really want and go to a Farm Supply Store
to buy,it's usally cheaper there.

El Jeffe is correct about Deer and gardens!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:54 PM

Thanks guys. . .I found a small unit with a solar recharge for $88, Tractor supply, and they claim it will do 2 miles of wire. I am sure my 600ft, 3 rows, per pen will do just fine. So it looks like I am at about $10 per foot for wire or electric but the electric sure is cleaner and easier to install and maintain, no cows leaning on the fence.
Just wanted to be sure before I went and spent the money on this stuff, My wife would be pissed if I come back in 2 months and tell her I need to spend another $200 on fencing. Even though I earn the money she thinks she is the bank, go figure.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:00 PM

Try again. . .$1 per foot. . .
Old 03-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

i think that the deer will still jump it... i've seen deer jump 6 ' fences. Somethings i heard to help with the deer.. is dog hair.. put it in your garden sometimes helps, or hang Old Cd's out.. the reflextion sometimes scares the deer
Old 03-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

40" may be too high -- some of the does and smaller deer may walk under it. We use hot wire around our soybeans during early bow season to control which area the deer come to, and we never put the wire more than 32-36" high.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Try putting your hot wire at 36" and another strand of plain wire with bits of tape hanging from it 36" farther in . Deer are usually reluctant to get zapped and then have to cross another visible barrier . You might also try staking chicken wire flat on the ground for several yards out around the garden , they hate having sharp wire between their hooves .
Old 03-08-2005, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

if the deer wants in, he'll get in. he won't even bat an eye at 40" - over he'll go or under. I've seen deer do both - they can easily go under a fence that is almost right on the ground or jump 6'. guess i'm not really sure what ur trying to do - keep deer AWAY from feeders??? I think the only way ur gonna have success is to install 8' page fence (that's expensive).
Old 03-08-2005, 07:34 AM

What I think georgetownboyz is trying to do is keep other animals such as livestock out of his feeders. But what really keeps the deer out of unwanted places is hair clippings from your local barbershop.

Quick Reply: Electric fences???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.