Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 High tech hunters push ethical envelope >

High tech hunters push ethical envelope

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:46 AM

Default High tech hunters push ethical envelope

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/03/04/h....ap/index.html

Friday, March 4, 2005 Posted: 11:27 AM EST (1627 GMT)

GRANTS PASS, Oregon (AP) -- Ever since man picked up a rock to kill dinner, hunters have been technology pioneers. These days, they've got more gadgets than ever to choose from.

Heat sensors will spot wounded game in dense brush, remote-controlled cameras can scout game trails. There are motorized duck and deer decoys, electronic duck and coyote calls and even holographic archery sights.

But some of the latest in hunting tech pushes the ethical envelope, and some states are outlawing high-tech innovations that game managers feel give hunters an undue advantage.

A San Antonio entrepreneur recently created an uproar with a Web site, www.live-shot.com , that aims to allow hunters to shoot exotic game animals or feral pigs on his private hunting ranch by remote control, with the click of a mouse, from anywhere in the world.

"The idea of sitting at a computer screen playing a video game and activating a remote controlled firearm to shoot an animal is not hunting," said Kirby Brown, executive director of the Texas Wildlife Association, a hunters' group. "It's off the ethical charts."

The Texas game commission appears to agree, and is moving to outlaw remote-control hunting for native game animals. But it will take an act of the legislature to stop it with exotic game animals on private property, and at least one lawmaker says that is just what he will do.

Live-Shot owner John Lockwood figured his idea was not much of a stretch from the predominant Texas practice of shooting from a tree stand at deer drawn to mechanical feeders and would allow disabled hunters and servicemen overseas to continue to enjoy the sport.

Under his plan, the hunter would aim and fire a .30-06 rifle by remote control from a computer terminal, with a video camera allowing him to sight in on his prey. An attendant in the blind with the rifle could override any unsafe or unethical shots.

"It's just like it was if you paid for a guided hunt on my ranch, or any one of a thousand of them here in Texas," said Lockwood. "Ever since we stopped running after our prey and killing it with our hands we have evolved into distancing ourselves farther and farther from the game and making it more and more efficient, for whatever reason we want to take it."

For some game regulators, it was mechanical duck decoys with spinning wings -- one of them goes under the brand name Robo Duk -- that crossed the line when they began showing up at blinds. Following Pennsylvania's lead, Washington state outlawed them in 2001.

"The issue for Robo Duk is similar with some of the other technological advances," said Dave Ware, game division manager for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. Because they appear to give hunters an advantage, they presented regulators with a dilemma: should the devices be allowed but the duck season be shortened?

"When we asked hunters what their preference was, outlaw equipment or shorten seasons, they were very definite they would rather we outlaw equipment than shorten seasons because time in the field is so important to them."

Oregon followed suit in 2002, and included a prohibition against mechanical deer decoys. California restricted mechanical decoys to the latter part of duck season.

When Alabama decided last year to begin allowing decoys for turkeys, the state drew the line at motorized decoys.

The issue continues to be hotly debated around the country.

Finlay Williams created Robo Duk in Santa Maria, California, after seeing that a kite with shiny metallic spinners would draw in ducks mistaking the flash for the wings of birds landing on water.

He figures the mechanical decoy gives the occasional hunter a chance to have a more satisfying outing. Besides, the ducks that survive one encounter with Robo Duk aren't often fooled again.

To justify the longer seasons for archery hunters, Oregon outlaws such innovations as mechanical broadheads, which have blades that expand on impact, allowing the arrows to fly more accurately without the wind resistance of broadheads.

Another group that enjoys longer hunting seasons around the country are hunters who use muzzleloader rifles. In Oregon, whether they set off their blackpowder charge by flintlock, side-lock percussion, or the modern inline percussion, the ignition systems must be exposed to the wind and rain.

"It's back to the intent of maintaining a primitive weapons hunt," said Tom Thornton, game program manager for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Rather than going more modern, Walt Christensen, past president of the Washington State Muzzleloaders Association, is heading the other way. He plans to hunt next season with a flintlock, joining friends seeking the challenge and romance of the older technology.

"No matter what kind of weapon you use, in hunting you still have to come back to that concept: You don't shoot a game animal that is 4,000 yards away just because some advertisement says that's a reasonable thing to do," said Christensen.

As hunting innovators develop more reliable ways to take game, more ethical questions are sure to arise.

Lockwood, the Web site-hunting entrepreneur, thinks the ultimate innovation is just around the corner and is a technology that won't be very difficult to adopt.

"The next one will be lasers," he said. "How far can you shoot a laser in a straight line? As far as the eye can see, basically."
Old 03-06-2005, 06:59 PM

Default RE: High tech hunters push ethical envelope

Hunting is too easy with all the newfangled stuff they have out now. It just dont make it a challenge. I'm happy with the junk I have. The only stuff I'll buy is clothes and scent.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jeep4x4

Hunting is too easy with all the newfangled stuff they have out now. It just dont make it a challenge. I'm happy with the junk I have. The only stuff I'll buy is clothes and scent.
While I totally agree that the NUT in the topic subject has NO business calling that remote crap..... hunting! I'm afraid I seriously beg to differ with your statement as well! You show us your trophy room lined with world class bucks and not immature deer or the notion that you're a "maet hunter" and I'll take a step back. Fact is, mature bucks are the most adabtable big game animals in the world and every new trick we learn, they learn one as well. The bottom line is the fact that most mature buck activity is under the cover of darkness and there is nothing that is going to help us with these animals but good ol' fashioned hard work and patience and perseverence! So for you to state that hunting today just isn't a challenge,.... I say show me all your "easy" B&C class bucks! I say the buck will still win the majority of the time and that's what keeps us all coming back! Good luck and good shootin'
Old 03-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anything for a buck.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where I mainly hunt in east Texas, a 120 class deer is GREAT. Yes, there are some 130-150 class deer in the woods, but they are few and far between and pretty much ghost-like. I have been using camtrakkers for about 5 years as a scouting tool. Some people don't like camtrakkers under the premise they make hunting too easy. I hunt ALOT and got pictures of 5 bucks this year in the 120-130 class, but I never saw a single one with my eyes. My brother and I have 3 cameras between us on our 650 acre place and check and move them regularly. My son killed a 118" 10 pt that we had NO pictures of. He killed him with in 30 yards of a cornfeeder walking through a food plot where a camera had been for more than a month. Where did he come from and had he ever been there before or was he just in the wrong place at the wrong time?
I agree with IL-Cornfed that the gadgets mentioned by the first poster are over the edge of ethical in my book, but even with all the high tech gear in the world, hunting is and always will be ALOT about LUCK. As I said before, I hunt ALOT and have killed some nice deer in my 21 years of deer hunting, and both of my sons have killed a nice deer apiece in their short hunting careers. Even with camtrakkers, corn feeders, and food plots, we have to spend time in a deer stand. Even spending HOURS in a deer stand, the deer have to move through the area where we hunt in the daylight and within range. Hunting maybe easier than chasing game down with rocks and spears, but hunting is still not easy.
These are mine and my youngest son's deer for 2004. Both were our best bucks ever.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see any problem with using different gadgets but having real interactive interactive hunting like this website www.live-shot.com , that's just wrong. Live-Shot owner John Lockwood is a "disgrace" to the sport of hunting;... hunting which is something he knows nothing about.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:38 AM

I agree with jeep 4x4
Old 03-07-2005, 10:06 AM

This is not hunting being offered here. These are nothing more than killing sessions. What a sin. The feds should get a list of the clients that use his service. I bet its full of rapists, murderers, and serial killers. Who else would kill a beautiful animal from their desk? Psychopaths that's who.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:10 AM

Next to game farms and high fence hunting tree climbers are the most unethical of all hunters.
To sit up in a tree with bait or scents on the ground dressed in scent-lok camo you have taken away every protective sense that a deer has. (eyes, nose, ears). There is absolutly no skill on the part of the "hunter" the deer finds him instead of a hunter finding deer.
You don't need the ability to shoot, they're seldom over 30 yards, you don't need to learn tracking, still-hunting, even woods craft, just ride or walk to the nearest tree and sit there.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: moosehornhunter

This is not hunting being offered here. These are nothing more than killing sessions. What a sin. The feds should get a list of the clients that use his service. I bet its full of rapists, murderers, and serial killers. Who else would kill a beautiful animal from their desk? Psychopaths that's who.
I agree and disagree with this post. No, it is not hunting and is nothing more than a killing session, but it is not unlike the many "game ranches" that offer "hunts" in "pens". The people that use a service like the LIVE-SHOT are the same people that go to "game ranches" and shoot game that are basically domesticated farm animals. I am well acquainted with a family that runs a "game ranch" and is making a ALOT of money selling these kinds of "hunts". Their website is www.pineywoodsgameranch.com. They high fenced 500 acres and are buying and releasing all kinds of game animals in their "pen" for people to come shoot. These people are not rapists, murders or serial killers. They also not hunters; they are "shooters". All they want is a photo for their bragging board and a mount for their wall--THE EASIEST WAY POSSIBLE. These people are not psychopaths; they are regular "Joes" with more money than good sense that have figured out that money can buy anything. This brings me back to LIVE-SHOT. The developers of this technology are not bad people; they are simply capitalizing on a group of people with no ethics as hunters and no respect for the animals that desire to kill. The bottom line to this group is DOLLARS and CENTS.

Quick Reply: High tech hunters push ethical envelope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.