Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

haul out your kill

Old 03-01-2005, 08:47 PM

Default haul out your kill

what do you use to haul out your deer? a sled or do you use a pack frame. what is the most weight you put on your frame? was it a whole deer or quarters?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:01 PM

Default RE: haul out your kill

I thought thats what 4 wheelers were invented for? Even when I elk hunted in the Gila and Apache National Forests in NM it was legal to use 4wheelers to retrieve downed game. No obviously we didnt put the entire animal on the ATC and ride it down the mountain, but we got it out in 2 trips. That thing woulda been a NIGHTMARE to have to take out 4 quarters at a time and plus one person carrying the rack and cape (it was a 368" 6x6, I wouldnt have wanted to have carried that big SOB one foot!).

Sometimes modern technology IS good!
RA
Old 03-02-2005, 02:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

My wife
Old 03-02-2005, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer cart will easily do the job. They sell for around $100 and have wheels that make thing easier. I can't remember if mine came with tie down straps or not, I think it did but I put my own on. All in all, it has done it's job for me this past year.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

i made a cart out of aluminum put some bycycle wheels on it works great. the biggest deer i had on it only weighed around 200 lbs, but after i made it i let my brother get on it he goes around 240lbs
Old 03-02-2005, 06:52 AM

Here's me packin a mule deer doe from December. Would not really recomend this method of packing.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt some pretty steep mountains so I usually shove em' and watch them roll. They're a little more tender that way too.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

I prefer to do things the hard way, I get more enjoyment out of it!! A kids snow sled works good, as does a sheet of smooth 40 mil HDPE (plastis sheeting, really thick) And if I don't have them with me, I just drag the darn thing, I love the hard work of dragging out a buck, or throwing a doe over my shoulder and hoofing it out!!

And when we are hunting out west, quater them up and pack them out, no roads or ATVs where we go, do it hard or don't do it at all!!! (Just my opinion, not everybody sees it that way)
Old 03-02-2005, 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

Here's me packin a mule deer doe from December. Would not really recomend this method of packing.
Hiawatha, I've heard people being killed by carrying them like that. They throw the deer over their shoulders and head out of the woods, then some ******* actually thinks its a deer walking through the woods and POW. Just a word of caution.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:47 AM

jhalf, ya its probably not the most intelligent of ideas. The fact that i had skinned and gutted the animal helped because it no longer resembles a live deer. We were the only people hunting in that area and also my partner was walking along side me carrying the rifles decked out in full blaze orange.

Quick Reply: haul out your kill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.