Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NW Wisconsin hunting

Old 02-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default NW Wisconsin hunting

I have never deer hunted in Wisconsin before but am interested in hunting in NW Wisconsin, around Burnett County, for example. Is there public land to hunt in this area or do you have to make arrangements with landowners to hunt their property? I am interested in a do-it-yourself hunt, not a guided hunt. Burnett County is just an example. I have been there before and this is why the name comes to mind.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:25 PM

Default RE: NW Wisconsin hunting

Does it have to be in NW wisconsin? I live in central WI and there are some pretty good spots around here. Like Mead Wildlife center and 9 mile. But im sure that there are some good public areas up north to. Just pick up a copy of a map of WI and most will give hunting areas. And if there isn't any public areas up north there is plenty of landowners.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

This might help ya! There are some serious woods up there!

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/...findapark.html
Old 02-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would like to hunt Wisconsin also for WT deer ... I live in Alabama ..is there a draw there ...if not how much are out of state license ..and what are the chances of a private land owner giving permission to an out of state hunter? Also what are the firearms that are legal there?

Thanks for the info ..
Old 02-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the info for 04', Looks like $160 NR. Fees are supposed to change for 05'.
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/cs/nonrestypes.asp

Rifles northern half of state and shotguns southern half. There is ALOT of state/public hunting land thru the entire state. I don't think there is a draw for NR. I also believe you can buy over the counter antlerless permits for like $20 for each unit.

Hey Doc, I'm gonna warn ya your going to spend all that money coming to a state with not that many deer.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

It does not have to be NW Wisconsin, just some place with deer and lots of woods.

What I am actually interested in doing is starting my own "deer hunting camp" tradition. I did not have this experience growing up. I don't know any family or friends who have such a deer hunting camp tradition in-progress that I can try to wriggle my way into. What to do? Start my own camp!

I live in North Texas, near Dallas. Now Wisconsin is a long way, but I think it offers the elements I'm looking for. If I can find some place closer having the needed elements, I would go with that.

To keep my costs down, I'm looking to hunt public land and to rent cabins. I don't really want to just rent a hotel room -- not very much like the deer hunting tradition image I have in mind. The cabins should be back in the woods, not too far from the deer hunting land. We should be able to hang our deer outside (can't do this at your average hotel). We want to be able to cook in our cabins to experience that aspect and element of deer camp traditions. I know a place in Burnett County -- where my parents used to go on vacation every year for about 4 weeks in September/October to go fishing and visit with friends (a "fish camp" experience, almost) -- that would meet the cabin criteria, I think. I just don't know about the hunting lands around there.

Anyway, you get the idea. I'm not looking for trophy whitetails. That just isn't on my radar screen. Looking for a good hunting experience, with my own group, in our own "camp" (rented cabin or cabins). Enjoy camraderie, teach hunting and hunting values to youngsters, do some fair deer hunting without heavy pressure from other hunters, have good times -- playing cards, telling stories, limited drinking of adult beverages (by the adults). I already hunt deer in Oklahoma, which is fine for the hunting element. But I stay at my mother-in-law's house, and this is not deer camp (don't get me wrong, my mother-in-law is great and easy to get along with -- not like the sterotypes -- but it still isn't "deer camp").