Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

trapping

Old 09-10-2002, 04:31 PM

Default trapping

Im not too familiar with trapping but for some reason it doesn't seem right to me. I realize it's not all that different to a arrow or a bullet but trapping an animal and leaving it to die seems alot different. Im not trying to get on anybody's case cause im not well educated in this matter. If someone can explain what they do when they find the animal stuck but not dead. Does the animal die of starvation? Im sorry but i saw some pics of animal trappings and it pissed me off looking at them .

you start hunting and you suck, you keep doing it till you dont suck
Old 09-10-2002, 06:18 PM

Default RE: trapping

Trapping deer is ILLEGAL in every state.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:54 PM

im sorry i meant every animal

you start hunting and you suck, you keep doing it till you dont suck
Old 09-10-2002, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The lost art of trapping.It's a shame because trapping is a very effective way to keep predator and fur-bearer populations in check.By law,you are required to check your traps on a regular basis.In Pa.,it's every 36hrs.Here you are allowed to carry a .22 to put the critter down.Sounds quick and humane to me.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:01 AM

There is a place for trapping and most of the trappers use quick kill (conibear) traps. If there were no trappers skunk/raccons/foxes would prey on all small game animals and waterfowl until there were none to be found! This a major reason why waterfowl populations have tumbled over the years.

It also provides an income for people who dont make a heck of alot of money! Theres a farmer down the road from the place I hunt, his sons have permission to trap the beaver on the property(major reason for alot of road damage). They make about $1500-2000 a year trapping beaver's, you may say this is not alot of money. But when a family of 14(yes I said 14) makes maybe 15-18,000 a year that amount of money probably feeds them for the entire year!
Old 09-11-2002, 06:37 AM

It sounds like you might have seen one of PETA's ads about trapping and the lies they spread about trapping.

Trapping is about the only effective tool (method) to keep predator/furbears populations in check. I'm not going to go into that other than say it's no different than keeping deer populations in check. Damage and disease are the result of over populations no matter what animal (deer, beaver, coyote, etc) your talking about

It sounds like your more concerned about leaving an animal in a trap which results in a lingering death. DOESN'T HAPPEN! Like JimPic said all states have check laws. Trappers usually check their traps every day.

There are some traps that kill. Connibers work like big mouse traps, mostly used in water for beaver and muskrat. Footholds set for water animals are rigged to drown the animal. No lingering!

Footholds (not leghold) the animal WILL be alive when you get there. Usually they are shot (dispatched if your PC) with a 22. Footholds don't do the damage PETA says they do. There are NO TEETH on footholds, and some even have offset jaws (space between jaws) or even rubber jaws. Animals that are caught and released survive very well. How do you think they caught the wolves to put into Yellowstone. "They trapped them in footholds"

for every law thats passed - alittle freedom dies
Old 09-11-2002, 07:19 AM

Trapping is a necessity. We used to trap Muskrats and Foxes when I was young. The muskrats tear up the shoreline and do a ton of damage. The conibears are very lethal, almost instantaniously. The way you do it is set up your trap line during the day and check them at first light. The animals you're trapping travel at night and if you check it first thing in the morning you'll have a fresh animal. We would eat the muskrats and sell their pelts so nothing of the animal was wasted.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:18 PM
ck
Fork Horn

Trapping isn't for everyone. I started trapping when I was 12(50) now. Got up at 3am passed papers until light, ran about 100 traps, then had to be at school at 8:15.I always had a few bucks in my pocket. The teachers wondered way I could't stay awake in class. Go figure.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:11 PM

Just remember, hunting and trapping aren't all that different in the eyes of the anti's. They very well may paint us all with the same brush. So.....if trapping goes then so, perhaps, does hunting.

I personally don't choose to trap, recreationally. I am however, a trained and licensed Nuisance (did I spell that right?) trapper. I did purchase a regular trapper license though, even though I will not use it. I did so to show my support for those who do trap.

Remember what, I think it was Ben Franklin, said " We must all hang together, or, surely, we will all hang seperately."

I'll take good luck over skill any day!
Old 09-12-2002, 07:13 PM

I personally do not wish to trap but dont criticise others if they wish to--if they check traps regularly and humanely. people who trap and then goof around and dont get to the traps in a timely fashion sicken me. if left too long the animal will resort to chewing off its own limbs in some cases. the animals dont understand that perhaps some one will be there soon to end the suffering , they only understand survival.
i know of people who trap coon to "teach" their coon dogs with , i was throughly sickend when the guy explained once how he would let the dogs have the coon (in a pen) for a time and then when the coon wore down too much he would seperate the coon from the dogs until the coon had revied some and then give the coon to the dogss agin, he did this until he tired of it or the dogs finally ended the coons suffering from what i understand, he told me this in his own words.

also as this guy lived near me , i had been told by his friend that he had been baiting my cats to his home and then killing them. this young man gets off on hurting animals and killing them, domestic and wild. any way one day we kept smelling something dead near our home and i could`nt find it(although we suspected it was under our house where we could`nt see it), but after a couple days i came home from work to find the body of one of my missing cats lying in the yard. the smell had apparently been the cat under the house and a young pup we had had drug it out from under the house. the cats hind feet were gone, no other damage except a busted stomach from bloating from death that we could see, just two missing hind feet. i suspected that my neighbor had trapped the cat and it chewed its own feet off anf crawled home (under our house where it stayed) to die. my husband and uncle didnt beleive it was trapped but no one has ever been able to explain it`s two missing feet, but with no other aparent damage i can think of nothing else that it could have been. i suspected my neighbor may have been useing my cats for dog (training) bait also. i can`t swear to it and did`nt see it but you just need to know the twisted freak to understand where this thinking comes from.

any way as i said, i dont condem trapping, it to is a source of hunting and the main purpose is to preserve the hides in the best way possible, which could`nt always be if taken in a hunt.
also one of the softest most beautiful things i ever felt was a beaver pelt, i would have never known how luxourious they were if it had`nt been trapped and made into a pelt.
but if you do decide to trap please be considerate to the life inside those traps and dont delay when its time to check the traps. thanks, annie.