Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Camp

Old 02-10-2005, 12:19 PM

Default RE: Deer Camp

Solar Powered?

How's that work for you? How much power does it generate, i.e. what all do you run? How much does something like that cost to install?

Nice pics guys! Those are reallllly nice places.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:23 PM

I go up to a cabin in the mddle of the woods in "DA UP" with my buddies and sometimes my dad, our cabin is entirely of logs made back in the 1890s. We usually stay at camp for about a week because we have school and stuff. We formed just by being buddies forever now we just hunt together. I would say half of the nights we eat at the cabin and sometimes we go into town and eat out at family restaurants. Most of the time if one of us gets a deer and someone else doesnt we usally will share with that person so they can get a taste of it to.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

We use an old country school house. We have a grill and fridge and some tables and sleeper cots. We meet there during hunting days to fix lunch and stuff. Some of us stay there overnight if we are not close to home.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:52 PM

Alabamadan, I have two 55 watt modules and one 110 watt module with a total of 144 solar panels, which has a charging potential of approx. 13 amps to the battery banks. I have a 13" color TV, home alarm system with auto dial, DVD, VCR, water pumps, small microwave, small refrigerator, 4000 watt inverter, fan, ceiling fan, lots of compact flouresent lights among other things. Works great, and I do not have to pay anyone a bill. I have around $1200.00 in the solar system which was cheaper than the power company wanted to run poles and power to my cabin and the fight I was having trying to get an easement from the neighbor who lives in another state. I bought cosmetic blemished panels which saved me alot. After a night of using lights, TV etc. which only depletes the battery bank around 20% the battery bank is usually charged back up by 9:30AM.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:04 PM

All we had was a little 8x12 plywood shack in the middle of our wood lot. It had a couple of wooden bunks and a chunk stove. If it was really cold we'd take sleepin' bags and load of wood to the shack. Whenever it was too cold to stay on the stand you could slip into the shack and lay down on the bag and let the fire in the stove uncurl your toes.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:26 PM

TC,

That's really interesting and a great idea! When I described my camp a few posts back, I described the camp that is "owned" by some cousins. I do want my own camp and I'll describe it.

I want to build a true log cabin in the woods for my hunting cabin. My wife's great great great grandfather built a log cabin in Mississippi during the land grants of the early 1800s. It still stands today almost 200 years later. It's been unoccupied for about 30 years and of course there is some decay, but the original log walls, foundation, ruff truss system, etc... is still standing. I want to use that as a model to build mine.

I have drawn out a plan where I have one large room to serve as kitchen, dining room, and living room. With a big fireplace. I mean the kind of fireplace like they have at cracker barrel restruants. On the other side of the house I have a small bathroom, a bunk room, and a bedroom for me and my wife. Porches wrap two sides of the house. A shed on the backside for cleaning game.

I want this cabin to be pretty far out in the woods and thought I had solved all the utility problems before, but now with your solar power solution I think I truely have. I'll use your solar solution for the electricty. I have a portable generator which was my previous solution, but I like your much better. Where can I learn more about this solar stuff?

For gas, I was planning to have a big propane tank out there. My uncle has one where the tank is actually buried in the ground except for the top where it's refilled and stuff. I was going to use gas for the stove, water heater, space heaters...as much as I could.

For water, I was going to use a cistern system if I couldn't find a well. I even thought of having building my own water tank on a hillside or something that would serve as a reseviour for the cistern system. Of course a well would be better, but you can't depend on that. I do realize that I should still have to bring in drinking water.

For sewage disposal, a good old fashioned septic tank should do the job.

I want to have a place that is my hunting cabin, but also feels more like a place to get away from it all. I want a place that my wife would consider going to for a weekend retreat as much as I do. My current deer camp........well......women just don't go there often.

The one thing that I haven't quite solved is how to protect it from theives. [:@] I've been thinking off heavy shutters and heavy doors, with perhaps eloborate locks or something. But let's face it, if they want in they'll get in especially in a secured location where they could just take a chain saw and go through the way without anyone hearing. I'd welcome any suggestions on that one.

TC, I'd really like to hear more about your place. If you don't want to post it here you can PM me.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Slamfire

All we had was a little 8x12 plywood shack in the middle of our wood lot...
Yeah my best friend has one fo those. You still have all the fellowship and fun, but on really cold windy nights it's brutal.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:29 PM

Alabamadan, got my panels from this place http://www.sunelec.com and most everything else from these guys http://www.backwoodssolar.com
Old 02-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

AlabamaDan,

Sounds a little like my place on the inside and porches, only I used stick built and vinyl to cut down on cost and maintenance. Good ideas on utilities and cistern. Don't dismiss deep cell batteries that you can take home and recharge after a few days either. They have fluorescent DC lights that use much less electricity, and fans that run off the heat of the woodstove (no batteries or power to run them). As for thieves, don't leave anything of value there and use hidden motion detector cameras in key spots.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:02 PM

Alabamadan,
You can also use a rainwater collection system for washing dishes, hands and general cleaning. I keep it clorinated with granulated clorine. I bring water down for drinking, cooking and bathing.

Quick Reply: Deer Camp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.