Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer and moose bullet?

Old 09-07-2002, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default deer and moose bullet?

This year I'll be hunting moose as well as deer up here in Alberta. My question is. I want a bullet that will perform well downing a deer as well as a 1200 bull moose?...any takers

Or is it possible to get 2 types of loads .one for deer and one for moose that will be close to zero on my scope. This is due to the fact that I may come across a huge buck out moose hunting and would hate to lose it due to the bullet not expanding. well you know what I mean?

My gun likes the slower loads like the winchester super x stuff or Federal classic?

Thanks in advance
AL

Hunt for the sport, share the outdoors and most of all be safe and enjoy it......know your
back stop when shooting!!
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/nicholal
Old 09-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: deer and moose bullet?

I would suggest a load using nosler partitions.They expand well and do penetrate much better than conventional bullets.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:26 AM

Swift Aframes, Barnes X, Bear Claw trophy bonded, Nosler partitions, Winchester Supreme, there are many more. They are not to hard to spot, they are reeeeal expensive compared to regular projectiles. You can usually buy(bullets not cartridges)100-180gr. Rem.Corelokt, for the price of 20-50 of the above bullets.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:59 AM

Probably a Nosler Partition, Winchester Fail Safe, or Barnes X Bullet. I've used Fail Safes on whitetails, and said deer didn't go too far (35 yards).

But, having said all that, I'd take a hit in the vitals, with a lead solid bullet, than a miss with any one of the three bullets above. Translated: you gotta do your part and make sure that the bullet hits!

Old 09-08-2002, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would pick one load and stick to that for the year. Moose really don't require more than deer to kill. Yes bigger and thicker hide but if you place the shot he's coming down. I am not a fan of the avg. bullet, like a federal classic. I only use prem bullets and for this I would suggest a Winchester Fail Safe or Federal Premium Seirra Boattail. I have taken many moose with a 270...140GR Failsafe and they have always preformed flawlessly. My only ? is why would your gun not like all prem. bullets? I have heard of guns not like Rem or whatever but never guys say my gun likes the cheap shells better. I know lots of guys who but cheap shells, but it is not their guns that dictate it.

To each his own, but I think the extra is min. but the benefits are huge. In any regards good luck!

Old 09-09-2002, 04:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-09-2002, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

PRetty much what the others said use a premium bullet like Swift Aframes, Barnes X, Bear Claw trophy bonded, Nosler partitions, Winchester Supreme fail safes and have fun these will do what you want. Good luck

Brian