Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 .243 or .270 which is best for deer >

.243 or .270 which is best for deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.243 or .270 which is best for deer

Old 02-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .243 or .270 which is best for deer

Another round to consider as Doctordeath stated is the 7mm-08. Same hull as a 243 but necked to a 7mm bullet. Very mild recoil yet gives you the ability to shoot a 140 grain bullet. I have one in a Browning A-bolt and it is one of my favorites for Alabama whitetails.
or my new favorite the 260 rem.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Well this morning I went and bought a remingtion 700 series .243. I plan on shoting either the 100gr core locks or the 95gr bollistic tips. I would never thing of doing this but I have a freind that shoots a rem. 700 .243 and he swars by using 55gr bollistic tips he says he has never lost a deer alot of that is problaly good shot placement I am sure. He went to AL. for a deer hunt this year and he said after tracking about every deer shot by someone in his camp 30-06 .270 300mag I beleive those are the guns he told me. He had a couple of guides with him that were his freinds and by the weeks end the were shoting 55gr ballistic tips also. You could take two deer a day and he took alot of deer that week and only had to track one over 75 yrds most he said dropped in there tracks. He told me this after I already purchased my gun and I hadn't told him about the purchase until after the hunting stories. His brother shots a 22-250 and he says it drops them in there tracks every time. He uses the smallest bollistic tips he can find for his gun. What do you people think of the bollistic tips?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I love the Ballistic tips but in the 243 I wouldn't use less than the 95 grain. I sure would not use the 45 grain ballistic tips in the 22-250 for deer. They are meant to blow uo in varmits.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

way to go, i think you'll be happy with a 700 and your choice in the .243, i think most people would agree one of the things that makes the .243 shoot so well is the very mild recoil, i'm not sure on you bullets selection but i would stay with the heavier bullets, in either choice bt's or core-lok

best of luck, let us know how it does
Old 02-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do you people think of the ballistic tips?
Not a personal favorite for me but many people love them. They will produce some of the quickest dropped in their tracks kills you have ever seen BUT they rarely exit a deer in a caliber as small as a 243. Meaning? If the deer does run you will have only a tiny 24 caliber entrance hole to produce a blood trail. Also ballistic tips (which are basically just a hollow point with a plastic insert in the tip) expand violently on impact. Meaning? They really hit hard but at the expense of consistent penetration.

A buddy of mine shot a buck last week with a 140 grain ballistic tip out of a 7mm-08. Shot distance was 45 yards from a rested position in a shooting house. The deer hit the ground like a sack of wet cement at the shot. My buddy gathered up his stuff and climbed out of the shooting house and was stunned to find the deer....GONE! Didn't see which way it ran and it left no blood trail. He and his brothers spent all that day looking and he NEVER found that deer. He threw the ballistic tips away. Unfortunately this is not a isolated case with my friends. Another lost the biggest buck he ever saw after a broadside bullet in the shoulder with a 150 grain 30-06 ballistic tip failed to put him down and left no blood trail. I know there are people who will post on here that claim 100's of kills with BT bullets without a hint of a problem. They will also tell you that anyone that does have a problem with them just can't put a bullet in the proper place. Well I can't speak for their personal kill record but I can assure you that most of the people I know no longer use them due to well hit deer that were never recovered. And these people can definately shoot.

Whatever you choose however I would stick to the heavier 243 bullets like James B and m.t.hands advised. Those 50 or 55 grain 243 bullets were designed for groundhogs not deer.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Todd funny you mentioned that. i got the bright idea i was gonna use ballistic tips one year in my 30-06...well bought a nice box of Fed Premium 165 gr BT's...yes 165's. I shot a buck at bout 30 yards with it...hardest I have ever seen a deer hit the ground. Well it was down and not moving..so I lower my gun and stand up..bout this time it starts kicking gets to its feet and may still be running for all I know..I never seen a drop of blood anywhere. I could actually see the hole in the upper part of its shoulder as it got up. I kow the deer died..as there were chunks of bone and muscle laying where it fell but no blood....and it was gone. Weird but true story. That made for a longggg trip home.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

GeeeeeZ Doe Dumper, look at the clock. Don't you ever sleep?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I knew when I saw this thread what it would do LOL. Yes it is true any of the above mentioned guns will take deer. I have owned and used nearly all the standards 30-06 270 243 30-30. Several years ago my wife surprized me with a 25-06 and I havent looked back I love it. Less kick then the 270 and more knockdown power then the 243. You can use it for varmits and deer without any problem at all.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

In our club there has been a lot more bad results with the ballistic tip bullets than good ones. You couldn't give me a box of them.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

I have decided not to use the bollistic tips. What to you people think is the best bullet choice as far as brand I know I will shot 100gr and I know the result of different brand shell effect each gun differently. I have to boxes of rem. core lock 100gr right know. Is that a good shell choice for the .243?

Quick Reply: .243 or .270 which is best for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.