Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SO HOW MANY DID YOU MISS?

Old 01-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SO HOW MANY DID YOU MISS?

I've whiffed on too many to recount. Most of my misses have came during my experimentations with open sight rifles, pistol hunting, flintlocks and the recurve bow. It's not so easy, to say the least. I've missed 'em with the rifle and the compound too, but not nearly as many. Y'all must be some pretty good shots.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have missed several with a bow and a few with a gun but I don't miss much anymore. I stay a lot calmer now and I take better shots. But over the years I would venture to guess 20 or so.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:41 PM

havent missed any
Old 02-01-2005, 04:51 PM

I will cry and say that I have probably missed more deer than most, with a bow probably 20. That was at age 12, with a gun maybe 20 at the most!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

The one that haunts me the most! Classic case of BUCK FEVER! I am walking down the railroad tracks and notice 3 or 4 hunters up ahead of me heading into the property behind ours. They are driving the piece away from the tracks but I figure I'll hang out and see if anything cuts back on them. Not 2 minutes later do I see a monster 10 to 12 point buck bust out of the thicket and start running down a pretty open field towards me. The tracks are about 10 feet higher then the ground on either side so I could see him real well. There is a line of thick cover that runs along the tracks and I lost site of him for about 3 to 5 seconds. He was angling away from me when he went in and I was crouched down walking fast to try and close the distance for the shot when he crossed the tracks. Well in the thicket he changed direction and (get this) jumps out dead even with me almost running me over! I pointed the gun (never aimed!) and let 3 shots of 00 fly but never stopped staring at the huge rack on his head! I never touched him. I watched him cross a huge corn field cross the road and heard 2 shots about a minute later! I was sick for the rest of the season! I feel sick right now typing this!!!! I have to go now.............
Old 02-01-2005, 11:23 PM

none so far ............knock on wood
Old 02-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

missed 1 this year. but the car didn't. I shot at a big doe and just plain missed (must have been the sun in my eyes or the moon phase) . It could'nt have been just me. ha! That doe ran like her tail was on fire straight to a nearby road and ran right out in front of a passing car that didn't miss. It was messy and I felt horrible. By the time I got there the car had left and there was not much deer to be saved either. I couldn't find any bullet holes in her so for me it's a miss. Just to be clear, I was not shooting towards the road but was 200 to 250 yards off the road and shooting away from it. I'm not a slob hunter just a bad shot. darn sun.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Dominant Buck

One and I have no idea why. He was directly under my stand.I came back the same day and shot one running hard and dropped it.
Chuck
Old 02-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

In 18 years I think between bow and shotgun it is about 15. This year I missed two that were both hit but made it to the next guy. A buck and a doe. Not only did I miss the buck I had to help drag it out about 500 yards(nice 12pt)
Old 02-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Not only did I miss the buck I had to help drag it out about 500 yards(nice 12pt)
Nothing like a little salt on the wound! DOH!!!!!!