Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Michigan 2004 Piebald Deer

Old 01-27-2005, 11:24 AM

Default RE: Michigan 2004 Piebald Deer

My question would be why would it be illegal to shoot an albino whitetail? Isn't it a genitic condition...not a rare breed or species?

Personally I don't see any reason why it should be illegal. (might be a little to easy to see in the woods...but still shouldn't be illegal)

Any thoughts on why it should be/is illegal?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Yes it is a gentic default to be exact. They have a resessive gene that is not good for the deer herd. The law in Michigan's case, was passed because a Senator was feeding one and someone shot it! People in high places have pull, politics at it's best. This law was passed on emotion and not fact. Even the DNR biologist say these animals should be removed from the herd. The law passed in 1979 has been in effect since, crazy law. This is another fine example of how our DNR is managing our deer herd. Fact is Fact................. Emotion is Emotion.......................
And the Law is the Law.

This is Michigans Law on the Subject

Protected Wildlife
Eagles, hawks, owls, swans, spruce grouse, wolves, lynx, moose, cougars, cub bears, and sows accompanied by cubs, and all white or albino deer may not be taken at any time. All nongame birds are protected, except starlings, English sparrows and feral pigeons.

WILDLIFE CONSERVATION ORDER
SECTION 3.100 PARAGRAPH (2)
(2) It shall be unlawful for a person to take or possess, at any time, an albino deer, being a deer with all white or colorless hair, or a deer with a coat of all white or colorless hair similar to an albino deer. Piebald, or partially white deer, may be taken under the provisions of this order.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:03 PM

It is clearly a full out albino deer, and whoever thinks it isnt needs to go look at some pictures of a piebald, they consists of the colors of brown and white, kinda like a cow. The pink nose and lighter colored hooves are also a sign of an albino.

It is a nice deer but check and know the laws before you shoot.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree - its an Albino - Not Piebald. Big diff in the 2 deer. Its still a nice deer no matter what it is.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/ddpbald.asp

A genetic variation (defect) produces the piebald condition in white-tailed deer, not parasites or diseases. Piebald deer are colored white and brown similar to a pinto pony. Sometimes they appear almost entirely white. In addition to this coloration, many have some of the following observable conditions: bowing of the nose (Roman nose); short legs; arching spine (scoliosis); short lower jaws. This genetic condition is rare with typically less than one percent of white-tailed deer being affected. Limited research indicates that two piebald white-tailed deer cannot produce offspring; however, a piebald white-tailed deer and a normal white-tailed deer can reproduce. Therefore if piebald deer are protected from harvest, the incidence of piebald births will increase within a local population. In Maryland!

http://www.buckmasters.com/buckmaste...1221Ghost.html
The Elusive White Ghost
By Rick Rentz

The 12-point buck was not only a very unusual color, but he was like a ghost during deer season. When the season was in, you never saw the white deer, but in 2004, he was spotted by a bowhunter on Thursday, Nov. 11, the day before gun season opened. However, the hunter decided he was too far away for a shot so, he passed, and the buck was allowed to live another day.

When shotgun season arrived in Delaware, we just figured it would be another year where the buck simply disappeared into the deep woods … always present but ever elusive. But, to our surprise, a local hunter on the neighboring farm spotted the great white deer. He took a shot, hitting the deer high in the back of the neck, but the deer ran off.

The hunter waited a couple of hours before tracking him, and, after finding the first drop of blood, the man was pretty confident he would find the downed buck. After tracking for a while, he and his buddies jumped the buck, shooting him with a load of buckshot in the left front shoulder. Like the ghost we described him to be, the buck wouldn't yield to death.

The white buck took off again, and they continued to follow the blood trail until it ran out. By this time, there were about 10 people looking for the deer. He meant so much to everyone. For 5 1/2 years, we had watched the buck grow from a yearling to a mature buck.

By the end of the day, the deer was not found and we were all sick to our stomachs thinking he would die without being found. The next morning couldn't come fast enough. We went back out and tried to pick up the trail, but with no luck. So we just walked away with our heads to the ground feeling like we just lost one of our own. It was now the end of the second day of shotgun season without finding the deer. We decided he wouldn't be found, so we were all back to our regular hunting schedule. But the white buck was still on all our minds.

At the end of the next morning's hunt, I decided to ride to the farm where we last saw the deer, just for peace of mind. A couple of buddies and I drove down the farm lane about 100 yards. When I looked to the right, I saw something white standing in the edge of the woods. It was the buck. He was standing with his head to the ground.

Knowing the buck was shot twice, I knew he had to be hurt. Quietly, I got out of the truck, sneaking along the edge of the woods until I had a clean shot. Hitting the deer with a double-lung shot, the buck took off like he had never been hit. Crashing through the thick briars to the bottom of the ravine, he stumbled yet was still on his feet. I wasn't going to let him get away again. I put a finishing shot behind the shoulder, and the case was closed on the great white ghost.

The elusive ghost turned out to be a non-typical 12-pointer. This was a nice deer and great rack for a piebald. The hunt turned out to be a closure to a tough life for the buck. He would have never made it through the winter in the condition he was in. When he was skinned out, we found there was no fat at all on him, his spine was snaked, and he had bad feet. I am having him mounted into a wonderful full body mount … can't wait to share those pictures!

Rick Rentz
Delaware

Come-on pay attention / get EDUCATED ON THE DEER!
Old 01-28-2005, 03:57 PM

The key word from what i read there was, ALMOST ENTIRELY WHITE, it seems to me that your deer is entirely white, and carries no characteristics of a piebald deer. And yes i do agree that you need to get better educated on these animals. You most likely didnt know it was illegal to kill and albino so now that you do you are trying your best to cover what you have done wrong. PLEASE DO GET EDUCATED!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Do you see the Brown? Here let me zoom in..........
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/r0300054.jpg[/Iimage

Maybe your color blind. I'm sorry for giving you a hard time. Can you read?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:35 PM

I would have to say that deer is about as close to an albino as they come.The light colored hooves and pink nose,but I always thought true albinos had either pink or blue eyes.
The article states the deer was checked by a DNR biologist and that the deer had brown eyes.
Now my piebald doe I got looks more like a tradtitional piebald.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:04 PM

Just so you know the only reason that hair on the deers hocks is brown is from scent and its urine, the area you say is brown is a scent gland, and the eyes look pinish to me.

And i also read an article in a book wrote by a Minnesota DNR officer on his experiences with law breakers and poachers, and one guy he caught was a writer for the outdoor section and totally reversed the situation in his column and said the DNR set a trap. How do we know this writer is credible and that a DNR officer actually checked the deer?
Old 01-28-2005, 09:46 PM

I still see no reason why it should be illegal to shoot either a Piebald or an Albino deer. (nothing wrong with the meat is there?)

Seems like an old "wife's tale" type of law to me.

As far as this deer is concerned....looks like glands on the legs and maybe rubbin stains on the head. Were the eyes brown or white? Hooves looked white/pink...couldnt really tell.

From what I see....if the eyes were white/pink then its an albino.

Quick Reply: Michigan 2004 Piebald Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.