Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunter drowns at public hunting grounds? >

Hunter drowns at public hunting grounds?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunter drowns at public hunting grounds?

Old 01-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunter drowns at public hunting grounds?

I feel bad for the family and the little guy. It's a tragic event that will live with the little one for the rest of his life but he will always know his dad was a hero! I agree with CalNewbie though, a lawsuit is not always the right way to go. This guy was doing what he loved to do in the great outdoors. There are always risks that cannot be controlled and will never be "fixed" with a lawsuit. This guy was enjoying life with his child and died doing what he loved to do. What better way to go! Read my quote below.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brave Papa there!!! Very sad though!!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:43 AM

Very Sad story. He must have been some man to be able to keep his son safe.

Thoughts go out to the family.

I grew up hunting and fishing that area. I couldn't count the number of days I spent on that lake or in those woods.

I'm not certain which area of Caesar’s Creek Wildlife Area that this man drowned in. There are some fields that do get flooded on the upper portion of the lake/wildlife area. I wonder if he fell into some standing water in this area. No matter what its a sad story and I hope the best for his son and family.

CalNewbie Wrote:
When you sue a government agency the money just comes from your neighbors. That money comes from everyone's taxes and could have been used for police, fire, etc. And since they're getting sued the city/county/state could very well decide its not worth it and close the area to hunting and/or other uses to minimize its liability. This is why people don't want to let people hunt their land, something goes wrong, even when its nobody's fault, and people want to sue.
A truer statement could not be made. A local sherriff was shot and killed by the guy who was running for that same office....well the murdered sherriff's wife was awarded $350 million (I know, $350 million! [:@] Don't start on this...its a whole differnt topic that burns my butt! ) from the city in damages....guess who will be paying that debt! The tax payers! I'm certain the amount will be lowered...but still....$350 million?? please...

The bottom line; I hope there is some peace in the fact that he was cool enough to safe his son.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:59 AM

Sad when a father son thing goes down this way.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 5 year old and I can not stand to hear stuff like that. I am numb all over.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea maybe sueing is not the way to go, i was really just fired up about the whole thang!![:@] Well now they know that this is a very bad part of the wildlife area and there should be something done, i dont care if its in a natural surrounding or whatever someone died there, and other people need to be warned, and there should be conservation officers that should be scouting the area for danger spots. Yea you can say well this,is this, and that is that, but right is right.......Look at the NIagra falls, do they have warining sighns? If people dont listen then that is there fault.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:03 PM

i know how u feel turkey i live in lancaster ohio. sad to hear (i dont rember hearing about it)
Old 01-26-2005, 11:36 AM

Turkey Fan,

Not wanting to argue the point or anything...but because of the tragic death of this man there should be a simple investigation. If any actions are required to help the public feel safer then maybe some simple signs could be placed; but by no way can you legislate, regulate or inforce common sense.

Do you know where exactly he died? The article was kind of vague...he might have slipped into the lake itself. I know a lot of people have drowned in that lake. (skiing, swimming, fishing, ect.) There are a few spots where the lake has "lagoons" or bays in the upper portion (knew several duck hunters who had blinds there). It's sad that he died in this manner. We really don't know the full story...could be as simple as he got someplace near the lake/creek and slipped in through the snow cover. Kind of hard to say.