Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

STRAP OR NOT

Old 01-24-2005, 10:34 AM

Default STRAP OR NOT

I was wondering if you would rather have a strap on your gun or not. I myself dont use a strap because it gets in my way and my gun is only 8 lbs so it isnt hard to carry in my hands. Let me know your opinion. Thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: STRAP OR NOT

I use slings on all my rifles, even shotguns. My hands are needed for other things. I just find them handy.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting with the sling on can tempt a guy to wear his gun on his shoulder instead of keeping it in his hands where it belongs. For walking before or after shooting hours a sling can be nice. Even better for dragging, because it frees your hands a bit. I use just a nylon strap, no pads. It takes up no space in my pack.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:24 AM

I use a modified rope strap on my rifles so I can use my hands for other things when I am walking. I detach the rope when I hunt for the same reason you sited-gets in the way.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:05 AM

I use a leather strap that in a pinch, can wrap around my arm near the wrist and shoot off the knee kneeling. I like the strap.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only use shotguns for deer and I have never used a sling. For turkey hunting I hardly ever make a walk and then shoot situation, I have a sling. When I and sitting I wrap it around my arm and shoot.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:18 PM

i use a sling on my rifle. i think it helps out alot, it makes it easier to drag out deer and i end up walking atleast 2 miles one way to get to where i deer hunt so i makes it a ton easier to get around
Old 01-25-2005, 12:26 PM

I have a sling on my rifle for the obvious carrying purpose but i also use it alot when shooting. I wrap my left hand around in my sling, pull tight and grip the stock. It seems to add alot of stability when shooting free hand.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a safari sling crom cabelas--I think it is the best thing since sliced bacon--the gun is carried parallel to the ground at waist height. The strap goes over the collar bone on your off-side. The gun can be shouldered instantly yet it allows you full movement with both arms and can even be used with a pack

hb
Old 01-25-2005, 12:56 PM

I use my sling exactly as Hiawatha does...it really helps for stability when no rest is available. I walk a long way into my hunting area, but I only shoulder my rifle when walking out after dark while using a flashlight. To each his own.

Quick Reply: STRAP OR NOT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.