Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you follow any personal guidelines when hunting? >

Do you follow any personal guidelines when hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you follow any personal guidelines when hunting?

Old 01-22-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Do you follow any personal guidelines when hunting?

I hunt on a long time friends land. One night around a camp fire we made a pact. We decided that each year you can only harvest a deer if it was bigger than your last one. It gets reset every year with a minimum of a 5" spike. In Florida we do not have tags, we are allowed 2 bucks a day from Sept. 25 - Jan 23. Our personal rule keeps up from hurting the herd on his land.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do you follow any personal guidelines when hunting?

I did the kill a bigger deer every year.This only worked till I killed a very big deer now I hunt elk :}
Old 01-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I play by my own rules. If I want a deer for the meat, I'd shoot a doe. If I see a trophy, its an older buck, and its nearing the end of deer season, I would consider taking it. It would have to be a really big 12 pointer, maybe 14. I've passed on some twelves a couple of times, either because they were still fairly young, or it was before Christmas.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:59 PM

this is my guideline and i think should be everyones elses only shoot what u eat there is no need to kill 5 deer a year unless u dont have that much money but in that case kill a 1000
Old 01-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use common sense and set goals for myself. I could care in the least what other people think
Old 01-23-2005, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well gee I thought that was what we hunt for,I eat what I shoot.I have given extra to the Manna Food Bank here in my town,sometimes I hunt with them in mind.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:00 AM

All little bucks walk, that's how they get to be big bucks. I have limited myself to 8-points or better in the past. This next season, I'll probably limit myself even further to 130 class or better. I also like to shoot a few does, always for meat, and it really helps the herd. If I have the opportunity, I try to shoot a doe or two to donate to feed the hungry.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

I use common sense and set goals for myself. I could care in the least what other people think

I like the sounds of that! Pretty much the same way I hunt! Common sense and personal goals each year!
Old 01-23-2005, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I set goals for myself that depend on my particular hunting situation. They could vary from one year to the next. Generally I don't shoot smaller bucks, and I try and shoot at least 3 does a year.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:04 AM

-

Quick Reply: Do you follow any personal guidelines when hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.