Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Alabama Whitetail

Old 01-19-2005, 11:00 AM

Default RE: Alabama Whitetail

Well it sure is great to meet someone from back home. I've been hunting all around this year. I've been up in Moulton hunting, bow hunting down on swan creek, and of course a ton of duck hunting down there. I've been hunting alot down here but just with my ol mossberg pump 12 gauge. I did take an 8 point in moulton this year and a 10 point in choctaw mississippi at the farm. I've only got a 4 pointer down here in auburn but buddy I went to my same ol huntin spot just scoutin yesterday and met 2 people who had been camping up there for about 2 weeks they said and the guy swears he saw a 14 point buck and every morning he comes up to the start of the trail and starts justa hollerin. I'm going to get in the brush at about 4:30 tomorrow morning and wait for that son of a gun to come up. I sure to miss home though to tell you the truth lol I've got a bunch of cousins and friends up there and man its not the same ol' huntin season without all those guys by my side taking down them north alabama bucks :-) hey if you ever need any help with yalls deer population just shout me a holler, and if yall have any coyote problems i'll be more than happy to take care of them sons a guns
Old 01-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

yeah, i know what you're saying about it not being the same without family and friends. I just got out of the army this past august. I spent 6 yrs all over the world so this is the first season i have been able to hunt. Feels great to get back into it. If you are ever up here we are going to have to get together and see what we can get into. I've never done any coyote hunting. I hear you can't do anything with them except use the fur or have them mounted. There are still about 2 weeks left of the deer season. I'm hittin it hard and heavy to see what i can come up with. This guy that own land behind my dad's was saying that he has trail cam pics of a 14 pointer back there. Not saying he is lying but that is a pretty big buck for this part of the country. I do have my doubts but you never know.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the nice buck! Great pic too! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-19-2005, 11:37 AM

Well hey man I just wanna thank you for serving our country first off. You ever need anything man you just let me know I have all the respect in the world for soilders, espically those who come out of our neck of the woods. And yeah buddy we will ahve to get together and do some hunting. I think that i will be home not this weekend but the next to go duck hunting with my cousins one last night out on swan creek. Your more than welcome to come if you want to, those crazy guys got me into duck hunting when deer just used to be my only thing, well deer, tree rats and predators.
Goodness a damn 14 point buck up in north alabama?? goodness gracious I find that a little hard to believe as well buddy but man if that guy has pictures with his trail cameras you gotta send them to me and if its real You better go and get yourself that damn buck man :-)
Old 01-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

it is in the same area that my dad saw that 10 point. Maybe i'll see one of them this weekend. I also appreciate your support for the troops. I still have a lot of buddies down there in savannah, ga (where i was stationed last) that are going back to Iraq for the second time. Trust me when I say that one tour is hard enough.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:42 AM

I know that this is gunna make me sound like yoru pappy or somethign like that
but man if a biggen like that is hanging around our neck of the woods
you better wear you a whole lotta cover scent and cover your boots with some urine
I hope you get him buddy :-) And i hope that i can pick up this 14 point that has been running
around in the tuskeegee national forrest
Old 01-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

I can use all the advice I can get. What is the deal with using urine on your boots? What other things can i do to give me more of an edge?
Old 01-19-2005, 01:06 PM

Urine is something i never did until my uncle tom made me do it one day and i had a 10 point run up right under my tree stand so I do it almost everytime i go huntin now. The doe urine is a key when getting that big buck because if you've got the right scent on (as uncle tom says) "Boys with this stuff you just might get raped by a big ol buck." The bucks smell the doe urine and they come to it its just simple as that I dont really know the mechanics of the whole thing but its always been a plus for me. Also cover scent is a very very key item to have in your garb belt or bag. I always spray myself down and my buddies down throughly right when we get ready to go to the woods. Also you always need to make sure that you really get the bottom of your boots covered so that the deer can't smell your human stench all the way up your tree or shootin house. I mean i'm no master hunter or anything but these are just the little things that i make sure that I do. A good doe bleat is also a good thing to have. But what else you got on your mind? anything i can help with I will do my best
Old 01-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

I could use info on calls in general......grunt, doe bleat, rattling.......when where how often. These are just a few things I could use help with. I get up early, take a scent free shower, put on my scent free clothes and then head to the woods. I try to be in my stand before light. Should i get to the stand ( or tree where my stand will go) fast and quiet or should I go slow and really quiet? I spray everything with cover sent before i head into the woods. Should I use the doe urine only on the bottoms of my boots? What kind of urine should I use? I could bore you to death with questions I have. I guess it is the small details I could use help with, but those are the things that could make or break a hunt.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on a nice buck

Quick Reply: Alabama Whitetail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.