Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
And the outfitter called this hunting........ >

And the outfitter called this hunting........

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

And the outfitter called this hunting........

Old 09-09-2002, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: And the outfitter called this hunting........

I have to be honest never read all the posts...but Daily who said a 150 class is nothing these days. Well it really doesn't matter, but I would say.....REALLLYYY. Yes bigger and more record deer are killed each year, but to make this statement well just isn't accurate. A 150 class animal is still the benchmark standard for Trophy Whitetail hunters. Let me tell you living in Canada where we see a number of trophy sized animal, putting a 150 class down up here(or anywhere) every year is no "Nothing Feat". I would hazard to say not to many even come close. I consider myself a "Trophy Hunter" and I can't make a claim I tag a 150 year after year. I have eaten a lot of tag soup b/c i never connected with a 150 or better. Sure I have had chances to tag 140's or 130's every year, but that isn't a 150. Also if guys are willing to shell out 7500 for a sure 150, that should say something right there about...150's no big deal. Daily don't blame you for being annoyed, a 150 animal is a trophy animal in my books and a sheer accomplishment. (When done the true hunting way, not penned,etc.) I know guys that won't shot anything unless it is bigger than their biggest, which is fine but not me. If I have a chance on a good, mature 150...I pull pin & know many other true "trophy Hunters" who are the same.

Daily, keep your head up and don't let anybody affect your beliefs or opinions. We were all 20 once and frankly I wish some of the guys I knew and hunted with were like you at that age.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:38 PM

150 class is nothing, come on who you guys trying to kid!!!

Ive hunted whitetails for 15 years, Ive never shot a 150 class, seen 2 that would go 150, and a friend shot one that went 146 last year. That is by far the biggest buck anyone I know has killed!

Ive got 2 that are in the high 20's and low 30's. If someone could put people into 150 class animals every year they would be a millionaire in under 3 years. Maybe you guys should actually watch a good buck be measured, im sure your 150 whitteils would drop into the the low 30's!
Old 09-09-2002, 10:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

While I certainly can't say that I tag a 150 buck every year I do at least see one or two every year.That being said I would rather take a 140 buck in the wild than a 150 buck inside a fence.As for the price $7500 is awful expensive for a 150 deer.I do know a saskatchewan elk rancher who sells hunts for big bulls.He treats his customers well but certainly has no respect for them and has a good laugh about them after they leave.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

SJ, it sure is expensive for a penned deer. When you consider many outfitters in Sask., Alta and Man. ave. 150 class bucks for what 3500 out of our wild deer populations. But it isn't a sure thing and I guess that is where the money comes in. I know many outfitters and guides who have guys hunt hard for a week for several years before pulling the trigger on a 150, so when you add it up they actually would have been cheaper to hunt this operation. But it is the thrill that keeps them coming, true sportsman with an opportunity to harvest a trophy in its natural habitat. (Nothing better) Trophy hunting gets in your blood and once you get a taste of it....just keeps building.

SwampThing, yeah ain't it the truth. I can't tell you the times I have heard of the B&C or what have you and it turns out not to be. Ground shrinkage...it happens. Only 1 WT buck I have downed was better than I field judged it at. Many have fallen short. No real way to score until you put a tape on it's gear.

Old 09-10-2002, 08:20 AM
ARO

i have hunted exotics on game preserves, and the hunt is what you make of it. wether its 80 acres or 8000 acres high fence, it still a preserve, if the animals cant jump over the fence, you are hunting a game preserve. it cracks me up how people try to justify to themselves, by saying but it was 4000-5000 acres, its still a big pen,and you know that there are big bucks within the high fence.
if people want to spend there money hunting that way, that is there choice. but high fenced is high fenced, no matter how big!!!

ARO

www.hunting-pictures.com/members/ARO/deer.html
Old 09-10-2002, 09:47 AM

Well this has everyone in arms!

Realizing everybody has different wants and needs I agree with the vast majority not to hunt on such a reserve. Price being what it is I am sure its just a businessman trying to reap in a capitalistic society. Guess thats what makes America beautiful. We all can agree to disagree (hahahahaha)

"Take a Kid hunting today!"
Old 09-10-2002, 10:12 AM

ARO,
High Fenceed operations here in this country are looked down upon. I South Africa they are a way of life as the Fence serves to mark the ownership boundrys. And this means all the game inside weather or not they go through, over or under which they do regularly!

Here in Ohio there is an operation I just checked out this past weekend that I WOULDN'T hunt - 200 acres for exotics and 200 acres for hogs. Lets see when I ask the owner he had 6 or 7 Elk, 15 or 20 Corsican Rams, and he listed several other species and the numbers.
Hunting was from stand but in 200 acres, even in southern Ohio I don't know. Thats a lot of animals in a small space.
2000+ acres unless totally feed(read timed feeders under stands) gives you a very good Fair chase oppertunity with you on foot hunting.

A Whitetail has a home range of around 600 acres so even a fenced block of land if considerable larger is not going to effect much in terms of habits.

My 2 cents!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-10-2002, 03:04 PM

webster's dictionary defines hunting as such:

to pursue for food or in sport
to traverse in search of prey

what this outfitter describes is DEFINATLY not hunting. the only place i will ever hunt is free open country.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:27 PM

Yeah the person would said it was mauser06 he's pretty young, I remember when I was 10. Whenever i'd see a buck i'd think it was massive. I think mauser06 said he was 15 that may or may not be the case. But thanks a lot skeeter7mm for understanding, and swampthing I couldn't agree with you more.

you start hunting and you suck, you keep doing it till you dont suck
Old 09-11-2002, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

that aint hunting thats shopping.

Brian

Quick Reply: And the outfitter called this hunting........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.