Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking to get a new rifle

Old 01-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Looking to get a new rifle

You can't beat the Handi rifle if you are on a budget. They sell for about 200-210 dollars and come in many good deer calibers including 270,280 30-30, 30-06 , 44 Mag, 308,7mm-08 and other options if you wish to add extra barrels which are also cheaper than dirt. For price you can't even come close. Not even with a used rifle as a rule.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

You can't beat the Handi rifle if you are on a budget. They sell for about 200-210 dollars and come in many good deer calibers including 270,280 30-30, 30-06 , 44 Mag, 308,7mm-08 and other options if you wish to add extra barrels which are also cheaper than dirt. For price you can't even come close. Not even with a used rifle as a rule.

Got the .243 today. With the 22 inch barrel, it is nicely balanced. Also, it is about 1 inch longer than my Ruger 10/22. Should be fun. The 25-06 has been a blast.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:11 AM

My wife and I use handi rifles. I have a 7mm 08 and she has a youth 243. Both are very accurate and easy to carry. I have more expensive rifles that can't shoot with them. I love them,and there cheap. I do how ever use a quality scope and rings.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

clearanceman. I had the 243 Ultra with the cinamin stock. Nice gun and it shot very well with lighter bullets. I tried the Barnes X bullets in it and it would not shoot them. Anyway I got to many Irons in the fire and ended up trading it off. I will probably get a 243 barrel for my 44 Mag synthetic.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:18 PM

I'm not going to suggest a particular gun, just a few things to consider. First, you need to decide what caliber and type of action you want. This should mostly be based on the predominent conditions you will hunt in. Will it be heavily wooded areas or wide open spaces? Then you need to make a trip to the local gun dealer and check out all the different manufacturers rifles that fit the bill. Which gun feels the most comfortable when you shoulder it? Does it come up quick and smooth? Consider bringing your hunting coat with you when you go. Years ago I bought a rifle during the summer. It came up real smooth when I was wearing a T-shirt, but when hunting season rolled around and I was wearing a heavy coat the butt of the stock would always catch on my coat when I shouldered it. It might sound petty, but it was always in the back of my mind. I don't like having distractions at the moment of truth and that gun was history at the end of the season.
You'll know the gun for you. It will just feel right, like it was made just for you. Then all you need to do is shoot, shoot, shoot, and then shoot some more until that rifle feels like and extension of yourself and it's all second nature. Good Luck shopping!
Old 01-17-2005, 10:07 PM

Can you slap a custom barrel on those handy single shot rifles??
Old 01-17-2005, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Auburn Tiger

Can you slap a custom barrel on those handy single shot rifles??

I don't know, the factory barrels are fine and dirt cheap. They have lots of choices. The guns are just a lot of fun. Well balanced, triggers are ok. Accurate enough, cheap reliable. The kind of gun you can take out hunting in the snow and rain and say who cares. But more than that. Still can't figure out why my .308 Abolt medallion stays at home and the 25-06 handirifle goes out more. Part of it is I like 25-06, but maybe the other part has to do with the challenge of single shot and the balance and handling of the rifle. I don't know, I like the muzzleloader too. Something about one shot is neat to me. Can't explain that either.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:34 PM

Something about one shot is neat to me. Can't explain that either.

I agree. I think it's the "one shot, one kill" attitude. If one doesn't hit the mark, you don't deserve the kill. Makes one a bit more patient for that "better shot" I bet.

I'm assuming if the barrel is attached to the receiver in the same way other barrels are attached, then I guess you could get a custom one. I like the simplicity of the single shot! No bells and whistles! But, I like bells and whistles too!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

A good, cheap rifle for deer, IMHO, is a Marlin 30/30. That was the first rifle I ever bought. With a decent 3-9x40 scope (which will cost as much as the gun), it is about as deadly as anything. Its easy to carry, ammo is cheap, and recoil is moderate. It won't make any spectacular long range kills, but when used within its limits, it is very effective.

If your looking for a longer range option a 25-06 or .270 would be up to the task. I have a 25-06, and have shot .270's. Most any brand of bolt action rifle will provide you with satisfactory accuracy as long as it is floated correctly. I haven't ever shot any of the single shot rifles, so I can't comment on them. Just keep in mind that topping your rifle off with a good scope will cost $$$.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:01 AM

JMO. . . . ..270 or 30-06. As for a brand name. . . .find one that feels good to you. Check balance, trigger, weight, length etc. Looks of reasonable guns but each one will fit slightly different.

Also, check out your local pawn shops you may be supprised what you can find if your not in a hurry. You may save 40/50% off list price for a used gun a real nice shape. I have picked up a few guns this way. Just take your time inspect closely and build a relationship with the guy at the store so if after going to the range your not happy you can return it.

Quick Reply: Looking to get a new rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.