Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Differences between a button buck and a doe? >

Differences between a button buck and a doe?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Differences between a button buck and a doe?

Old 01-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Differences between a button buck and a doe?

ORIGINAL: cardeer

You got good advice. Me If I'm not sure I dont shoot.
Now that's the best approach !
The only advice that I could add to this is when in doubt just check for a "belly horn" , does don't have one ...
Old 01-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunter rich

Let it also be known that if you are trying to increase the buck numbers on your land letting the buttons and yearling bucks walk doesn't gaurantee that they will be there next season, unless your property is high-fenced. It has been shown that males tend to leave the area they were born for their own area. I can't directly qoute or even name the researcher(s) or publication, but I have read this many times in the past few years.
One thing is for sure, if you shoot one, that one definately won't be back--you're tryin' to do the right thing if you want more bucks bertos750, good luck
hb
Old 01-12-2005, 04:37 PM

Thanks to all you guys. You confirmed a few things for me and I learned a few things too. I guess due diligence and experience are my best options. We have an extra firearm season here in illinois this weekend for antlerless only and I want to do the right thing. Can't wait to get out there.

Thanks Again.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Departments of fish and game put "antlerless" seasons for a reason. If you have an antlerless tag, shoot an antlerless deer and get over it. There is no harm in killing a "button buck." If you are concerned about hitting one, don't shoot any that don't have antlers. Now, it is pretty easy to tell the difference, though it is not guarenteed. If a larger antlerless deer has one or two smaller ones with it, don't shoot any of those guys. I would rather tag a fawn, than shoot the mama and leave the fawns to fend for themselves for the rest of winter. Find a deer that seems to be more by itself, shoot it, and move on.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:19 PM

Bert, besides being 100% sure of your target, there is one other way to avoid killing button bucks. Never feel pressured to kill a deer even if it is the last five minutes of the last day of the season. I've seen many people (including myself as a youngster) kill button bucks when they were trying to fill their tag during "crunch time".
When hunters take their time, get a good look at the deer they're shooting at, and are selective, the end result is almost always a good one.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:59 AM

Sometimes it's kinda hard on the real young ones. But after a good look through some glass you should be able to see some little fuzzy bumps on his head. I also look at the glands on the back legs, not always, but the males seem to be darker. Lastly might be nice to let the youngest ones grow until you can tell, but if you can't be sure, don't shoot unless you have tags for both sexes. I shot a button this year too thinking it was a Doe, my bad, but I had a tag and the freezer was in need of meat. The season has since gotten better.

Also I must agree with, BowHuntingFool, the youngest bucks are pretty doppy and the older smarter ones let them walk first. I usually don't shoot the first one I see but wait for his buddies. At least that's how I would like to do things.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

how about the old flat vs. round head for telling the differences between the sexes? i haven't ever tried it myself, maybe someone else has. and i know that around here, even during the rut, the little skippers still hag with mom, so i wouldn't use that as a good indicator myself.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

All these probably been mentioned in prior posts but #3,4,5, are probably the most sure fire way to tell the differance.

1) A lone deer is often a displaced BB.

2) If 3-4-5 deer walk out to feeding area,many times 1st one out will be the BB(their cocky and stupid).

3) The BB head will always be flatter than Doe. A biggy

4) Doe will have a dome shape noggin. A Biggy

5) Doe head is long and slender compared to short stubby lookin BB head. Another Biggy

Having said all that,everybody is gonna make a mistake once in a great while. I have thru the years.

I hunt a lease farm. We have all finally agreed we are going to make serious attempts at not shooting any BB's or spikes. We have couple guys that shoot 1st and ck head gear later. I keep tellin these clowns that a BB(or spike) is next yrs 6-8 point and the following yr 10-12. I think its finally sunk in.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:02 PM

Another way to avoid killing a small/young deer is to avoid shooting the ones that have a "box-like" body shape. An older deer will have more of a "rectangular" shape to its body.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:16 PM

If the head is flat, its a buck. If its round ,a doe. I shot two lone does this year and both were yearling. However, i've shot one nub that was alone. Actually, one of the does i got last year was alone too, and she was a yearling. yearling bucks disperse on average 3-5 miles so it doesnt bother me shooting a button buck by mistake.

slayer

Quick Reply: Differences between a button buck and a doe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.