Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 09-03-2002, 07:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-03-2002, 07:48 PM

Default RE: build your own or buy?

I build my own stationary stands and, for me, it's cheaper than purchasing the metal ones.
I get old, used pallets from my place of employment for free. The only components I have to pay for are the two 4x4 posts, one 2x4, and various nuts/bolts.

Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish.
Marcus Fabius Quintilianus (35 AD - 100 AD)
Old 09-03-2002, 07:53 PM

I have two 15 foot metal stands from cabelas 69$ and 7 permanent wooden ladder stands. The 2 metal stands I use for both ny and pa. I put the metal ones up for only the 2 weak gun season. Or if I find a hot spot late in archery I might throw one up. If you leave them up much longer they start to squeak. The metal stand are probably more economical and a heck of a lot easier to put up. However I enjoy building the wooden ladder stands. After putting up several stands with regular wood a few years ago I converted to treated last year. It is well worth the extra money for galvanized nails and treated lumber. A 16' wooden ladder stand cost me 60$ that is using grade A lumber (The cull piles were all empty). I Would recommend rounding up a few buddies to help put them up, they get ungodly heavy. If you ask me I would build one rather than buy. Let me know what you decide to do.
EDDIE
Old 09-03-2002, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Build your own out of metal if you can weld.Cheaper,last longer and easier to move than wood.

Edited by - ret3006 on 09/04/2002 01:51:14
Old 09-03-2002, 09:04 PM

Those of you who build your own wooden stands...Would you mind posting some plans, or pictures. I have been interested in building a wooden stand for quite some time, but don't really know how to go about it.

Thanks;

I'll take good luck over skill any day!
Old 09-03-2002, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

Well ive done all of the above, and decided to invest in a climber.
thats all i use now. (API Grandslam Bowhunter)....cant go wrong
Old 09-03-2002, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use both.I have a couple of portable chain-on stands,a couple of ladder stands I made out of 2x4'',2 homemade steel ladder stands and a permanent stand made of 2x4's.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:27 AM
Spike

I have a climing stand. but next year I going to build some permenent stands. I end up hunting the same spots every year. I end up moving the climer 5 or 6 times.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can buy decent hangin stands for 40-70 bucks nowadays. It's almost cheaper just to go ahead and buy one of those.

My mind belongs to my work...
My heart belongs to my family...

But my soul...belongs to the woods.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I either hunt from the ground using my own version of a portable ground blind, or I build permanent wooden stands. This year I plan on building a few wooden ladder stands if the guy who owns the property I just got permission on allows me to do it. Plans? I always wing it, it depends upon the tree/trees and how high it is.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.