Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A hunt of a life time!!!

Old 09-03-2002, 03:12 PM

Default A hunt of a life time!!!

Im not going to bore anyone but last year i think i witnessed the best hunt in my life.

4pm rolled by and i saw nothing, I had been using all the proper technics and thought for sure something would pop up for it being mid of rut season. Around 4:30 i saw a deranged buck coming down my trail i would classified it as a 3 pointer but im not even sure. As i was debating on weather i should shoot or not a huge 12 pointer followed right behind. I swear the buck was 10 yards from my stand but since the stand hadn't been used for years there was no clearing for the shot. I waited as the buck circled the stand finally i thought i might have a shot. I drew back and aimed slightly low for fear of the buck dropping and my arrow missing, but ofcourse the arrow shot two low and the buck ran off. I felt like a moron because i had seen this buck before and promised myself it would be a goner if it got in my way. This thing had to score at least 180 man was it huge. Well anyways I decided to get down and walk a long route back to my truck. As i was walking I heard something running. I looked to my right (High brush/swap) and noticed a doe atleast i thought it was a doe running straight for me. My heart was rushing out of my chest. It stopped about 50 yards from me and ran back. I thought it noticed me and ran off so i continued to walk. About 10 yards of me walking I looked to right to see if i could see anything and here came the deer once again flying towards me. I thought tom myself what is with this deer. It did this atleast five times each time getting closer and closer. As it ran back i would try to move as close as possible to its stopping points. On its fifth stop it decided to cut across the field. Note that its about 40 yards from me but in tall brush, I could hardly see its head. As it was walking i started walking forward. I would try to meet it half way, I got about 25 yards and waited till it hit a small clearing where i planned to make my shot. As it got close i drew back and realeased. I made a perfect shot through the heart it died 40 yards from where it was hit. Sorry about the length but i thought someone might have had a similar story. It ended up being a button buck. Friends told me they saw the big buck around but i havent seen it since maybe next year.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:32 AM

Default RE: A hunt of a life time!!!

Sounds like an exciting roller coaster of a day. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-04-2002, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Daily it almost sounds like that buck may have been running her and she wasn't willing. Sounds like a good hunt though.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 09-04-2002, 03:14 PM

It wasnt a doe it was a button buck sorry if i confused you. You know when i think about it even though the buck was huge im still was really excited about being able to tell people i killed a deer by stalking it. In a since thats what i did. thanks for reading