Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

plots/baiting

Old 01-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: plots/baiting

treehunter get a copy of the Alabama Game and Fish rules and regulations and read it carefully. If you can't find one, I will be glad to send you a copy.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:18 PM

Vtbuck, maybe some imperial no till if its in the woods?

And yes folks, in my opinion, there is a huge difference in a corn pile and a corn field. When deer enter a food plot, they dont have to come to one spot to get all the food. Up in northern wisconsin, baiting has created unnatural deer densities in some areas because of some individuals putting out so much bait. Baiting draws the deer into one small spot where they usually come into contact with each other, which spreads diseases like TB and possibly CWD. Could be the reason CWD spread in our state. If it had not been for this, i probably wouldnt be so against baiting. I believe there is a difference in the 4 acres of corn we have behind our house and a big automatic feeder. a huge difference.

slayer
Old 01-10-2005, 08:27 PM

Planting is Not baiting. If it were, then all of the wildlife deps. that plant millet on public hunting land for waterfowl are the biggest violators.

For everyone who decries food plots or baiting, where do you hunt? In an asphalt parking lot?

Here's one for you to ponder. If I planted an oak tree 25 years ago and now hunt under it, is it baiting?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

deerslayer, that stuff has crossed my mind...
whiskysnoot, you make it sound, and this is just an observation, not an attack as if you grew up hunting over food plots, they are a common thing in hunting, and how could a person possibly hunt any other way? i know that where i live, planting is still relatively new to us, and akin to cheating for many. you hunt the woods, fields, natural food supplies, not plant, to many that's the lazy man's way out. i'm not saying that i agree, just letting you know what many people that i know feel about this subject. as is baiting, to many. and while i can see the point of having four acres of corn vs. four five gallon buckets, to me the only difference is that the deer are not within as close proximity to one another while feeding, thus less chance of disease transmission. food plots and bait piles both serve the same overall purpose, to unnaturally draw deer to an area for the purpose of harvest by the use of a natural food, albeit the food may not be native to that particular area, russian olive trees come to mind. by the way, what consitutes baiting in vermont, straight from the website is this "a person shall not take or possess big game by the aid of a snare, trap, salt lick, jack or other light or use these devices to entrap or ensnare big game." it then goes on to say that most deer attractants like licks have salt listed as an ingrediant, and to refuse to buy it if it contains salt. it gets more strict when it comes to bear hunting, no bait, period. you can only hunt over a natural bait, without adding to it. like ddrops under an apple tree, you can't put out more apples to keep them coming in.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:24 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-11-2005, 01:53 PM

Like was posted earlier, why should some be against another hunter as long as it's legal,
Same poster, Same thread..........

Now, a corn pile poured out of a 50# bag just a week or few weeks ...., that's different, much more chance of diesease, and totally against it.... THAT'S BAITING!

Make up your mind! Some of you guys crack me up...............
Old 01-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm such a SINNER!!!!!I do all three,use feeders(not timed),plant food plots,and hunt trails!!!!!FORGIVE MEEEEEEEEE!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Food plots are legal to hunt in our state if they are provided to feed all wildlife. Baiting with grain or corn for the sole purpose of luring game to kill is illegal. It may be slitting hairs but the law is the law unless you can organize and get a law changed, you better abide by it. I have no problem with someone who hunts over bait where it is legal to do so. The same with the high fence issue. If its legal and someone can afford to do it,(which I CAN NOT) then if it rattles their chain and they consider it sport then let them have at it.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cardeer % FLdeerman you should be ashamed! I am shocked by your behavior! You must repent your sins! Confession will cleanse your filthy souls!

Uncle Matt (just home from confesion in IL)

Quick Reply: plots/baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.