HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   how long do you leave the hide on your deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/85197-how-long-do-you-leave-hide-your-deer.html)

DUCKSTAMPEDE 01-05-2005 10:59 AM

RE: how long do you leave the hide on your deer?

I talked to a foods expert-he advised that leaving the hide on for up to 6 hours is no problem-after that he says it should come off so the meat can continue to cool-for convience purposes it is easier to take it off while the carcass is still warm so I generally take it off as soon as I am done field dressing.

quiksilver 01-05-2005 12:48 PM

Usually only for about the first 2 miles.

After that, the pavement really starts to burn through the hide, and you'll start losing good meat. If you drive slower, it doesn't burn off quite so fast - try keeping it under 55 m.p.h., and you can sometimes keep the hide intact for 3 miles.

Make sure your dragrope is fastened to your bumper real good, or you're liable to lose the whole thing.

jk

onebullet 01-05-2005 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Usually only for about the first 2 miles.

After that, the pavement really starts to burn through the hide, and you'll start losing good meat. If you drive slower, it doesn't burn off quite so fast - try keeping it under 55 m.p.h., and you can sometimes keep the hide intact for 3 miles.

Make sure your dragrope is fastened to your bumper real good, or you're liable to lose the whole thing.

jk
I CAN SEE SOMEONE OF YOUR MENTALITY DOING THIS WHY ARE YOU ATTACKING ME AGAIN
THIS WAS A DECENT THREAD I SEE NO HUMOR IN WHAT YOU SAY- ISEE IT FOR WHAT YOU INTENDED

Deerslayer_37 01-05-2005 02:41 PM

We usually take the hides off when we get home. even if the deer is shot first thing in the morning during rifle season, its usually cool enough to let it sit until 630 PM or so and then we hang it and skin it. I shot one during early rifle season when it was 75 degrees out, and we just took it to a meat locker right away as my dad really didnt want to mess with it that night, and he wanted some venison HD's made(mmmmmm good). we tore down the old barn next to our house and rebuilt it. now we have one half thats insulated and heated for a shop area, and the other half is unisulated and not heated, so we hang deer up in there.

slayer

TerryM 01-05-2005 09:13 PM

We hang deer on a game pole in deer camp with hide on. If the temp warms up (very rare in Ontario in November) we will skin and quarter them and rush them to a freezer. Under normal conditions hide is kept on until we have them processed by a butcher. My butcher now refuses to take in a deer with hide off as he finds that his temp controlled hanging room ( which I have seen with 70 deer inside it ) cools and ages them nicely. He is expensive but does great work and since switching to him I and my family enjoy the game much more. Makes great sausage and pepperettes too!!!

IL Rancher 01-05-2005 10:07 PM

We used to hang pheasent until they fell of the line from their weight. Yes, it is a German thing, at least that is who taught me to do it. Also, you will find your best, most tender beef is aged forever. Back in the day of the thick backfated shorthorn they would hang them until they ripped through the hook. You would just scrap off the mold from the fat. Doesn't sound to sanitary but grandpa ate like that for the first 40 years of his life and is pushing 90 now.

Anthony

moose1915 01-05-2005 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: IL Rancher

We used to hang pheasent until they fell of the line from their weight.
Anthony
i do this with ducks, head down. what a difference it makes!

IL Rancher 01-05-2005 10:56 PM

I did it with a fat lamb this spring. Best meat I have ever had. Sucker hung a long time but oh it was good. Leg was like butter.

That all being said, the few deer I killed or was there when they were killed in Montana we skinned on sight, while the carcass was still warm but the buck was killed maybe 100 yards from the chiller that we hung them at.