HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   how long do you leave the hide on your deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/85197-how-long-do-you-leave-hide-your-deer.html)

onebullet 01-04-2005 09:49 PM

how long do you leave the hide on your deer?

i was wondering because i leave the hide on for the trip home 4 hrs and feel that i protect the meat from road[:'(]
i have read some feel its important to remove immediately for cooling what do you do?

young_gun 01-04-2005 09:51 PM

RE: how long do you leave the hide on your deer?

well if i have to move it somewhere i ussually keep the hide on. and cooling depends on how cold it is outside. if need be pack some ice into the chest cavity and and make sure to open it up good and that should be fine for the trip home and then take the hide off.

skeeter 7MM 01-04-2005 10:20 PM

onebullet, I am one who believes in removal of the hide for cooling purposes ASAP, which does not always mean immediately though! Travelling with a skinned animals can have it's own diverse effects unless frozen, it will be suspect to drying out and debris in a open truck box. In this case I would as well leave the hide on and if warranted in warm weather persay pack the cavity with some ice for a long duration trip. In most cases I hunt where the animal can be hanged, skinned with in a short duration and then I debone prior to travelling home. It really depends on your situation, but my advise is once possible remove the hide vs hang with it on till time to process (unless you have access to climate controlled cooling unit-like a walk in cooler).

ELKINMTCWB 01-04-2005 10:39 PM

YOUNG and SKEETER are very right on the skinning of deer

ELK is way different IF you leave the skin on them for very long at all you could loose some meat. With elk it is best to skin and qwarter it right after you kill it.

stubblejumper 01-04-2005 11:24 PM

I skin them right away.My truckbox is coated with armaguard and kept very clean.A rigid cover keeps dust and debris out of the box.

onebullet 01-04-2005 11:59 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

onebullet, I am one who believes in removal of the hide for cooling purposes ASAP, which does not always mean immediately though! Travelling with a skinned animals can have it's own diverse effects unless frozen, it will be suspect to drying out and debris in a open truck box. In this case I would as well leave the hide on and if warranted in warm weather persay pack the cavity with some ice for a long duration trip. In most cases I hunt where the animal can be hanged, skinned with in a short duration and then I debone prior to travelling home. It really depends on your situation, but my advise is once possible remove the hide vs hang with it on till time to process (unless you have access to climate controlled cooling unit-like a walk in cooler).
its 25-40 degrees where i hunt normally
when i get it home i hang it high in my tree i skin it and watch the temp outside
40-45 is common for me at hunting time falling about 10 degrees lower at night so 30-40 this year was great -this year i aged the deer 5 days outside,because the weather was cooperating- he tastes better than any other i have done i normally butcher immediately after removing the hide-

i do have an insulated a/c garage that might work too if the weather dont cooperate

my dad was telling me that they used to hang ducks by their neck and age them till the weight of the body fell off the neck and the head stayed there -
-i called him a bullshipper but he swears its true-someone else said this is popular in germany
have ya heard of this?

skeeter 7MM 01-05-2005 12:35 AM

onebullet the aging process for wild game is a much debated issue amongest hunters. I personally don't believe any aging is required in game animals, I have done it both ways and have found no difference in the meat quality or tenderness with venision in particular. I do believe their are benefits however to relax the muscle fibres post death, which really means the removal of rigor. Process happens within 24 hours after death, as long as the animal does not become frozen in this period. On occasion due to weather, etc I have had to hot bone or process prior to this period while I have found in some cases the meat might not be as tender if you will as hanging for the approx 24hrs, the most noticable difference is the amount of blood in the meat after dethawing. It has been said this blood is another reason the meat may have a "gamey" flavour if you will. In this case a simple soak in soy, milk, salt water or acid based merinade to remove or draw out blood eliminates the affects. This is the exact same thing I do with duck breast which are breasted asap in my case and iced if warm temps.

To me aging venison for long periods only cause drying, shrinkage and loss in the end. It can be especially dangerous where the temperature is not controlled, the optimium ambient temperature for aging meat is said to be 37 degrees and no higher than 40. I prefer to not risk my meat and if suspect I will butcher. However like anything we do what works and we feel provides us with the best results. It boils down to personal preference and experience. So "Yes" the debate will continue for years to come!!

Of course I am sure many and yourself will agree the butchering and field dressing process play huge part as well.

Never heard that one!!!

I agree bigger game we treat as well differently skinned, quartered and cooled ASAP.

cardeer 01-05-2005 01:07 AM

As soon as I get it home ,which is usaully less then a hour.That hide stinks when death comes , why let it stink up the meat

Georgetownboys 01-05-2005 07:10 AM

I skin ASAP. IMO. . .Texas is too damn hot for skins to be left on. We shoot and tag then many times stay put until the end of that Hunt 9:30 at 10 in the AM or after full dark in the afternoon. Then we loadem up and get them over to the skinning pole barn. They get skinned, quartered and have all the other useful meat removed right then. I use a very large ice chest and get the meat on ice with in that first few hours. This season we hunted some days in the 80s.

moose1915 01-05-2005 07:31 AM

ever eat filet mignon? i'd tell you how long we hang em here on the moose ranch, but it would cause an uproar....

but our venison is the best in town!