Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 01-05-2005, 11:08 AM

Default RE: Have you ever seen deer mating (breeding) in the wild while on a hunt?

bob d that is good.

In the pictures, the deer may not be trying to breed but simply expressing dominance over the other. In many animals, that is one way they show who is dominant.

Or they could just be sweet on each other.

Greg
Old 01-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have you ever seen deer mating (breeding) in the wild while on a hunt?

well with 24yrs of deer hunting experience you know these things, plus not knowing a friend & his son was hunting lower on the mountain then me they both saw the deer, and when I came down to my truck I saw them, and before I could say anything the father said that they saw a huge body buck with a 24" spread come from my area, answer you question?
Old 01-06-2005, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have to supply the background music for them...it helps them concentrate (..bow chicka bow bow )
Old 01-06-2005, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Firehawk...

I saw it twice. Shot one afterwords with a rifle. The other was while bowhunting. I was within 50-60 yards and couldn't see an antler at all.

Maybe it was a button buck...or maybe it was a Rosie O'Donnel deer. Nope...it was under 300 pounds, had to be a button buck.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Saw a decent 6 I was going to take at about 80 yds but the vitals were obscured by a tree. Next thing it moves forward and now I'm looking at it and there are no antlers. What the heck? Then I see both heads and realize whats going on. I had a doe permit but was just waiting for the buck to uh expose himself. I waited and watched figuring when they were done I would get the shot. HA. they moved off directly away from me, with the tree between myself and them, no shot. Now thats what I call hunting.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:39 PM

I have seen it once. It was cool. I sure wish I could get permission to hunt that area again.

TBO
Old 01-06-2005, 07:21 PM

About 10 years ago I watched a small spike buck chase a doe from one end of a bean field to the other. That little buck chased that doe for a good 10 minutes before she could finally go no further. When she finally stopped the little buck wasn't quite tall enough to do any "real damage". It was funny watching him rest his chin on her rump and lift himself up kicking one of his back legs in an attempt to do "the nasty" I kinda felt sorry for the poor guy.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:24 PM

I've chased these furry critters for 20 years now (and have be exposed to ALOT of deer on managed land in mulitple states for that entire period) and just this season in MO I saw a pair "get it on" for the first time in my life. The buck was a nice 16" 2.5 yr old 7ptr and the doe had a button buck with her. The buck was already in the foodplot (about a 3 acre clover patch) with several other small bucks and about 10 does and fawns.

When the doe entered the field the 7ptr went too her and then chased her for over 10 minutes. ALLOVER the plot, end too end, into the woods, out of the woods. I mean chased her like a bird dog. BUT the first thing I noticed was that the doe had her tail held out perfectly parallel too the ground for the entire time that I saw her. She finally stopped in the middle of the plot and the buck successfully mounted her, did his thing and then walked circles around her for 10 minutes afterward and wouldn't let another deer within 20yds of her (including her own buttonhead). Strangely she didn't move from that exact spot for over 10 minutes. She just stood there hunkered in one spot. Finally she began to move about and the buck left her for other deer and areas in the foodplot. Then an equally sized (rack) 8ptr who was OBVIOUSLY much older and massive, walked into the plot. But the 8 had busted his main beam off right above the G1. The 7ptr came over and began posturing, hair raised, heads went down and I thought I was about to see a brawl. LOL the 8ptr kept his full side facing the 7ptr and really puffed himself up. The 7ptr would get close but never get directly in front of or touch the older buck.

The 8 then went too the doe that was just bred and chased her into the woods and they were gone for the rest of the afternoon (cheap slut!). I think I heard the 7ptr laughing at the old buck and mumblin sumpin bout sloppy seconds...

RA
Old 01-07-2005, 02:35 PM

Hey Red I had no idea you ever got over here to MO!Do you bring your boat?
Old 01-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Spike

I saw it for the first and only time last year. A big yearling 9 point chased a doe over the hill right to my stand and they stopped about 50 yards away and did it. If they had gotten closer I was gonna shoot the doe but they never did. They went behind me and came back 10 minutes later and did it again. then they went back over the hill the way they came. A week or two later my dad shot him.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.