Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My little misadventure.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default My little misadventure.

Went out Monday, before sunrise, for the first day of black powder deer season here in Ohio...

I was on my way to my stand, following the path I made in the snow the day before, and I slipped on a ice covered log. My left shin scraped against a branch that was sticking upward, and I fell on my right knee and right hand. I felt a sting in my leg but kept moving.

I got to my spot, got settled in, it was about 10 degrees and calm. As the sun rose, I realized that my leg still hurt, so I looked at my shin. I first noticed that my pants were torn. I looked closer, and both my under-layers were torn as well. I looked through the holes in the fabric, and saw my leg -- it looked fine -- so I continued to sit, watch, listen for that trophy buck to come along.

About an hour passed, and I realized that my leg still hurt pretty bad, so I checked it out again. The pain was below the hole in my pants, and thinking about it, your pants ride up when you sit down, so I looked further down my legg. Blood. Not too bad, but that explained the pain. I sat till about 10:00 am, then decided to walk the area I was in. I hunted until around noon, but didn't hear or see anything except for other hunters.[&o]

So I head home for lunch. The plan was to go back and hunt the last couple of hours before sunset. When I get home, I look at the "boo-boo" on my leg. It's a small puncture with several long scratches, and a descent amount of skin was scraped off.

After cleaning and dressing it, I eat, relax, and wind down, and I realize that my wrist really hurts. I have trouble moving it, and it won't bear much weight. Great! A sprained wrist!!

A bit later, after sitting down for a while, I try to get up and find that my knee has intense pain. I have trouble bearing weight on that leg too, and full range of motion causes pain. So, I messed up my knee too!

So, one little slip in the snow causes three injuries which, combined, pretty much puts me out of commission. I've been resting and icing, so maybe tomorrow, the last day of season, I can get out there for a while -- maybe.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:41 PM

Default RE: My little misadventure.

lumps and bumps from logs and stumps, contusions- confusion- an blood transfusions

heal fast dude and thanks for sharing
Old 12-30-2004, 12:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Boy your in terrible shape,hope you feel better
Old 12-30-2004, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

Hope you heal soon. I slipped and fell in the Connecticut ML season and didn't remember bumping my ML scope but I went down pretty hard. I resighted just to be sure and had knocked the scope off by 6" or so. You might want to check your ML !!!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:14 AM

sorry to hear that.hope all will be well soon.Some time a sprain is worst than a break,hope your's is not that way.

"GET WELL SOON"
Old 12-30-2004, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

Ouch! Hope you get well soon and good luck!
Old 12-30-2004, 07:06 AM

thats bad , but cardeer has you beat with dislocated hip
Old 12-30-2004, 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: slugman

thats bad , but cardeer has you beat with dislocated hip
was cardeer chasin boogey women again?
Old 12-30-2004, 03:41 PM

I hate being hurt. I used to have a job that required me to walk outdoors, in all weather, for five hours or so each day. I worried about being leg injuries because I might miss work. Now I have a desk job, and I worry about leg injuries because I might miss hunting!

Hope you have a quick recovery.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:35 AM

Make sure you check the wound carefully around the puncture area-if any of that branch or sliver actually broke off in the wound it will tear you up-but don't you just hate it when a good thing (ML season) gets screwed up like that!!

Quick Reply: My little misadventure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.