Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Accident

Old 12-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting Accident

Well, I don't know these folks, but as a large majority of my relatives live in Caldwell Parish, I'm sure someone in my family does. Sad story and a glaring example about loaded firearms being unsafe.

Caldwell man dead after apparent hunting accident

By Tommiea P. Jackson

The Caldwell Parish Sheriff's Office was investigating an apparently accidental shooting death Monday afternoon.

Terry Coon, 48, of Nebo, was killed while hunting with his wife Kay at about 2 p.m. when a rifle strapped to Kay Coon's shoulder went off, shooting her husband in the back, according to police reports.

The Coons were hunting on Hardscramble Road near Louisiana 126 in the southeastern part of the parish, Sheriff Steve May said.

Kay Coon reported that her husband stood up on the four-wheeler to let her get off when the rifle fired.

She called the sheriff's department to report that her husband had been shot and needed an ambulance.

Terry Coon was taken by ambulance to Citizens Medical Center in Columbia, where he was pronounced dead at 4:04 p.m.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:44 PM

Default RE: Hunting Accident

I unload my gun if on a atv they bounce around too much for a loaded gun too easy for them too miss fire
Old 12-28-2004, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

it frustrates me to see how many people dont take guns seriously. it only takes one mistake for somebody to be shot and this proves it. accidents like this can be avoided if people would just wake up.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:00 PM

amen shootem amen - unload when a motor vehicle is involved always

R.I.P.

God give blessings to his widow-what a thing to live with
Old 12-29-2004, 12:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

No excuse fir it. loaded weapon on a vehicle
Old 12-29-2004, 05:20 AM

if it was an accident; she will have to live with it for the rest of her life.[&o]
Old 12-29-2004, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

if it was an accident; she will have to live with it for the rest of her life
an accident that never should have happened. Personally, I don't chamber a round until I am starting to walk to the stand (which by the way is only a 250-300 yrd walk). I used to wait until I got into the stand but there has been way too many times that I have walked up on deer before getting there.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

We all try to be safe and yes this accident could've been avoided but it doesn't change a thing for her. We have all done things that cause us to pause and say "That was really stupid" but that is human nature. We are human and sooner or later everyone makes a mistake while hunting but most have no consequences other than us catching your error and correcting it.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I feel bad for the woman but, it's her own fault.

1.It's illegal to drive around with a loaded gun on an ATV and it's stupid.
2.Why have one chambered, and how did this gun go off if the safety was on?
3. Does anyone listen when they say don't ride two people on an ATV?

Hind site is 20/20 but I haven't read a story about someone getting shot that couldn't have been easily prevented.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:21 PM

ONCE AGAIN AN ACT OF CARELESSNESS. SAFETY FIRST.

Quick Reply: Hunting Accident

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.