Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 questioning the accuracy of my 12 ga >

questioning the accuracy of my 12 ga

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

questioning the accuracy of my 12 ga

Old 12-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default questioning the accuracy of my 12 ga

I have a 12 ga pump with a smooth bore. I sighted it at about 40 yards before the season and it shot pretty much right on the money. I then took it apart and cleaned it. The second day of the season i shot at a doe about 50-60 yds away and missed. The best i can figure i shot under it (looking at the bullet strike on the ground and position i was in the stand). I resighted it and it shot about 5-6in low at 40 yds. I determined that taking it apart somehow caused it to shoot low. Well I haven't shot it anymore until this weekend and at 60 yds it shot 7-8in high. What is going on with this thing? All the shot groups were pretty close together so I know it wasn't my fault. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 12-28-2004, 09:21 AM

Default RE: questioning the accuracy of my 12 ga

Just wondering if you switched brands of ammo.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

nope.....same ammo out of the same box. Winchester 1oz slugs
Old 12-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing I can think of is the amount of torque you put on the "screw" knob that holds the barrel on. That is especially true if your back sight is on the receiver, not the barrel, or if you use a receiver mounted scope.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:28 AM

Using a scope ?
Old 12-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

no scope....i didn't take it apart between the 2nd and 3rd time shooting it. It hasn't been dropped or jolted so it should shoot the same on any two given days. I guess I will use the old 30-30 in it's place for the rest of the season. The risk of injuring a deer is just too much so i guess i will stop using it.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:16 PM

I have about 400 rounds that I gave away for about what you are having trouble with & every round was winchester slug 2 3/4" 1oz.
Box to box there was to much diff.
Bulls this box not even on paper next box.
That was why I ask obout if you used diff ammo.
Walmart sold some winchester slugs in boxes of 15 that I cut apart and found dif.fslugs,diff charges of powder I belive it all was the same powder
but it might not have been.
Use your 3030 for know, but try some diff.ammo and see if it does the same thing.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

funny you should say that, fastfire.......that is the exact ones I bought. I think i am still going to use the 30-30 for the rest of the year but this summer i will probably get some different slugs and do some target practicing
Old 12-29-2004, 07:44 AM

I use 12 Guage Rotweiler Breneke 2 3/4" Slugs. Works as good as any... I killed 4 Deer in 3 years with them. Missed 2 this year though. Well actually one... missed the Doe, but i could'nt see much of her Neck. Rushed my shot.

The Spike I missed with my first shot, and I connected with my second shot.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for all the replies though

Quick Reply: questioning the accuracy of my 12 ga

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.