Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What scope to buy???

Old 12-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What scope to buy???

where do you send your zeiss or kahles for warranty issues. LEUPOLD will get my hard earned AMERICAN MONEY!

Both the Zeiss Conquest and Kahles American Hunter are assembled and warrantied in the USA. No different than Leupold!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2004, 01:27 PM

I also have a 7mm mag along with an assortment of other larger bores. After a "not so enjoyable experience or two" I went to Leupold and have never been disappointed. I'm with the previous poster...better a $600 scope and a $60 weapon than the other way around. It's not just the recoil issue but the light gathering characteristics and clearity that do it for me. Again that gold ring on the Leupold has meaning. I just hope they never go for quantity vs. quality. Best regards, Jim
Old 12-26-2004, 01:43 PM

did you guys read he said he didnt want to break the bank
my 7 came with the bushnell elite scope on it 389$ out the door

some of us cant afford top shelf, nor need top shelf to "giterdun"

the scope already proved itself when the gun got dropped by my b-i-L after falling in a hole in a pasture, onto frozen ground

yea we would all love to have the best gun ,scope,truck,car,home -

but that aint life as we know it..

would you also put 250$ air jordans on an old man and expect him to perform just cause he has the shoes?????
or spend 500$ on a windshield for a 200$ CAR -I DONT GET IT, HES NOT SHOOTING A WEATHERBY, or other too expensive gun!!!
how about a 500$ bottle a wine for a 50 cent whore
Old 12-26-2004, 09:24 PM

Take a look at the Tasco world class nice scope for the money.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's not just the recoil issue but the light gathering characteristics and clearity that do it for me.
The ziess conquest offers superior light transmission for the same price as the leupod vxiii.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Fork Horn

Onebullet, paying money for a Weatherby does not mean you will shoot tighter groups than a cheaper gun. I paid less for my heavy barreled Savage than I did the scope. The package I have cost less than most Weatherby rifles alone, and will out perform most weatherbys out of the box. Price is not everything, but a cheap scope is a cheap scope. You will get what you pay for in optics. Bottom line, a leupold vari-x 2 or3 is a well made scope. I've owned several vari-x models. The nikon buckmaster would be a close second. These scopes are anywhere from $200-500 depending on model. For around $549-$599 you could have the zeiss. I have not priced the khales 3x9 lately but it is a well made scope with good lens coatings. Light gathering capabilities on the khales out perform most larger objective scopes. The zeiss I have is the 6.5X20 50mm. I paid $619.00 It is a target scope with windage and elevation adjustments. Yes it is overkill on most hunting rifles, but is a nice fit for my particular rifle. Bottom line any modern made, dirt cheap bottom of the barrel 3x9 scope on decent mounts and rings is going to kill deer out to 200 yards. How long will it last? Probably longer than you would like.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

paying money for a Weatherby does not mean you will shoot tighter groups than a cheaper gun
Exactly,Weatherby guarantees 1-1/2" groups out of their rifles while tikka rifles must shoot 1" groups before leaving the factory.Tikka rifles cost less than half the price of most weatherby rifles.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:46 PM

woody- as i said gun + scope out the door 389$ and your talking a 600$ scope ????? have you used a bushnell elite?? i have a leupold- and will use either gun- but i wont spend the money to by another leu after using others that work just as well on light gathering--at a fraction of the cost

HE SAID HE DIDNT WANT TO BREAK THE BANK---can ya hear me now???
damn i only got 4 more cent on this subject then i am outta money- for the subject

weatherby was just an example i could have used any expensive gun, benelli whatever-- you said it" a more expensive gun does not make you a better shooter"-nor does an expensive scope-- hey i got an idea how about matching the value of the gun to the value of the scope and vice versa-- what a concept

sounds like putting a rolls royce front end on a VW--- its still a VW

ps stubble i own a tikka- great gun thanks for the .02

i also have a jason scope,redfield and god forebid-- a tasco[]
Old 12-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

To me a rifle is only as good as it's optics, rings and bases. This doesn't mean you have to sell the farm to buy your scope but simply by as much as you can. While a 60 dollars scope might be adequate I want to know my scope is on, stays on & tracks true more importantly. This is something a decent to good scope eliminates from it's cheap counterparts. Once you appreciate this value then the clarity, brightness, light transmission, fast focus,etc will become more noticable.

For the decent quality I really have had excellent service from the 3200 Elite series. Giving decent returns in all aspects for the investment required.

Equally I am a big believer and supporter in Leupold rings and bases. All my scoped firearms wear Leupold rings/bases and my more used ones are held by the Leupold Double Dovetail design mounting system. I believe that a important part of the consideration is the mounting system and the Leupolds have been rock solid IME.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:19 PM

mjlane check out post titled" simmons scopes" and i think ya got your answer

Quick Reply: What scope to buy???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.