HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   4Wheelers taking over!!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/83802-4wheelers-taking-over.html)

JONES 1969 12-23-2004 09:05 PM

4Wheelers taking over!!!!!

Where i live people on 4 wheelers are ruining the hunting for everybody they are cutting farmers fences to be able to get on their land causing them not to allow any one else to hunt cant blame the farmers wondering this happen in anybody elses area ?

Cloudwalker 12-23-2004 09:47 PM

RE: 4Wheelers taking over!!!!!

A 140 gr. ballistic tip through the gas tank will stop that (just kidding). Seriously, the guys I hunt with on weekends can't figure out why they are not seeing deer when they drive their 4-wheelers to the stand. One guy told me that he hadn't seen a deer out of this particular stand all year. I've hunted that same stand 5 times and saw deer 4 out of the 5 times (all does) but at least I'm seeing deer.

WV_Coalminer 12-23-2004 10:25 PM

Must be a WV thing jones. I had that problem. Called the law out here when I heard them and they happened to be coming out as the sheriff was pulling in. They got trespass warnings and I haven't seen them since. I also put up barbed wire with an orange cloth, for visibility (don't need a lawsuit) across one of their main trails.
Good to see another Mountaineer on the board.
Good luck,

Steve

cardeer 12-24-2004 12:41 AM

roofing nails

onebullet 12-24-2004 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: JONES 1969

Where i live people on 4 wheelers are ruining the hunting for everybody they are cutting farmers fences to be able to get on their land causing them not to allow any one else to hunt cant blame the farmers wondering this happen in anybody elses area ?
i dont use a 4wheeler at all and wished they would be banned during deer season, i definately have had problems while hunting with 4welrs driving them outside our allowed time limits which is 11:am to 2:00pm to allow for deer to be recovered and not bother others, seems like the second their done gutting em----they fire up the 4welr and crash about scarin everything for a half mile no matter what time- come on fellow hunters mutual respect and courtesy on this LAW-in Minn. please

JagMagMan 12-24-2004 10:22 PM

It ain't the 4wheelers fault! The 4wheeler is just a tool! The slob hunter, the poacher, the criminal, can make any "good" tool look bad, using it in the wrong way, for the wrong purpose!

onebullet 12-25-2004 12:19 AM

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

It ain't the 4wheelers fault! The 4wheeler is just a tool! The slob hunter, the poacher, the criminal, can make any "good" tool look bad, using it in the wrong way, for the wrong purpose!

like just because i ride a harley it dont make me a hells angel[8D]

kevin1 12-25-2004 04:33 PM

As was already suggested ,
scatter some roofing nails or place nail studded boards on their trails , they'll puncture the tire so that it leaks slowly to reduce the chance of injury to the rider . After they change a tire or two they usually get the hint , it ain't fun to push a quad . ;)

KevAK 12-25-2004 09:34 PM

i cant wait for the day when they ban atv's for good

stubblejumper 12-25-2004 10:18 PM

scatter some roofing nails or place nail studded boards on their trails , they'll puncture the tire so that it leaks slowly to reduce the chance of injury to the rider
If an innocent person walking down the trail steps on some of these nails or studded boards they could be injured.If it is discovered that you placed the nails you would be legally liable.Then again the injured person may seek revenge without involving the law.

fastfire 12-26-2004 06:13 AM

ORIGINAL: JONES 1969

Problem is not just in WV.
Big problem Here in up state NY also.
4 wheelers are not alone any ATV you pick were having the same problem with.

Firehawk7309 12-26-2004 06:31 AM

We have some problems here with 4 wheelers, but I think the real issue is some owners lack consideration for others, be it in riding around in off limit areas or hunting areas during season. I wish the police would crack down on these stupid individuals, I bet a nice fine would make them think about trespassing.

grizzmck 12-26-2004 02:21 PM

Without my ATV I couldn't hunt. Health, age and busted body parts. It is a great tool. There will always be those out there who have no respect for others and I haven't come with the answer to those yet. Best regards, Jim

uncle matt 12-26-2004 03:19 PM

I have to agree with the intelligent responses from Jag, Onebullet and Firehawk. We've been thru it too many times here about the sabotage thing and "toughguy" tactics (most performed anonomously). If you desire to "spike" some puddles to flatten tires (and I have done this) it's gotta be one YOUR property and hope nobody gets a personal injury, cause you'll most likely be in some trouble.

Four wheelers are great tools. If ya caught a trespasser, would you insist on cutting his legs off?

Uncle Matt (in IL)

onebullet 12-26-2004 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: grizzmck

Without my ATV I couldn't hunt. Health, age and busted body parts. It is a great tool. There will always be those out there who have no respect for others and I haven't come with the answer to those yet. Best regards, Jim
1. used properly for this reason i have no problem-- my back is also totaled - car wrecks, construction company accident and cant lift over 20 lbs or walk very far
now i gotta rely on buds to help me get my deer, and i aint gettin any younger or better at age 44

but at 18 i said i was never gonna grow old and cripped either. how did that happen??-- and now gotta pych myself just to make it to the stand 1/3 of a mile away--but there will come the day i have to switch to a 4wheeler, or catch a ride if i am to continue hunting,

I guess if everyone realized the future of the 4 wheeler lays in those who abuse the privilage NOW
may later in life finding that they wished they would have obeyed the rules rather than saying " aw f_ _k em i dont care i am gonna do as i damn well please and if they dont like it tough sh_ _" and ruin it for guys like grizz and myself

2. CUTTING FENCES-REMOVING HINGE PINS ON GATES then running all over the guys property COME ON
ATV people you know thats wrong- what if it was your land and your hardwork-you know you would be pissed!!!

3. they hunted for years without em--AND THATS THE WAY I WILL VOTE if this continues -even if i have to give up my hunting!!!!!! thats how strongly i feel about respect or lack of
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my previous post called for them to be gone ,banned,- my WAKE_UP call to the quad squads out there

an old saying goes ya dont know what ya had -till its gone-----

think about it and adjust your thinking

or put stock in your local tire shop, and medical insurance --your choice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

firehawks got one idea- fine the HELL outta em,
+ take the quad, just like if they had poached take it all--- word will spread fast

someone ought to send this thread to the quad and ATV magazines so they can get it figured out
there IS a problem !!!

s. il. hntr 12-26-2004 05:39 PM

got them here in il. as well. i hunt family farm and saw atv's almost everyday this year. granpa's not able to go out and catch them and i'm not there enough. although i did catch 1 kid and i could see the oh s%#t look in his eyes. never saw him again. no respect man.

RemMod1100 12-26-2004 06:29 PM

I only wish I'd had an ATV problem this season. Seems the favored means of deer hunting around here anymore is surrounding and chasing with pickup trucks. Saw one group of about 6 trucks be pretty efficient. 5 trucks at each get away point and one truck driving up the creek in the middle popping off rounds with a .22 pistol. Watched 'em kill 3 bucks and 1 doe from my deer stand 3/4's of a mile away. I watch Buck Masters once in a while but this lethal strategy hasn't made their show yet.

Whatever happened to quiet hours in tree stands or hunting by foot traffic only?

MontanaDave 12-26-2004 07:01 PM

I am new here so here goes. An atv is a tool just like any other. If used properly and legally you get great pleasure and a since of satisfaction. Before I bought my Yamaha Grizzly I saw many irresponsible hunters with pickups.

Where I live there are many legal roads on public land not well suited for anything else but an atv. This gets me away and farther back from the main crowd. I respect private property and never ask anyway because the answer is usually no. Now I can hunt several miles back, dismounted, and enjoy the experience hunting was meant to be. If I had a horse it would be even better, but I am not a horse person.

Mandatory hunter education is the key, especially remedial training. Many people will not take the time to be a responsible hunter and quit. That's my .02 cents worth. MD out!

onebullet 12-26-2004 07:14 PM

montana=i dont think people like you are the problem ya got respect-

besides some uneducated would shoot the horse out from under ya

reminds me of the joke a man puts wife in the stand for the first time and walks away about 200yds
he hears BOOM----so he runs back to see his wife holding a gun on a man and shes yelling "its my deer"- its my deer"
and the guy is yelling back "ok ok its your deer just let me get my saddle off it"

Duse500 12-26-2004 08:59 PM

Ya okay lets form a group and try to ban ATV's.
Atv's are loud,they tresspass,they scare the deer,
AND thier killing the nesting habitat for the blue-winged butterfly.

I got a camara stolen off of privite property by a hunter
100's of hunters tresspass in a matter of a month in every state.
people are accidently shot by hunters everyyear,
And what was that hunters name who went off ,,,,,,, CHI VANG.
Maybe we should ban hunting or is that different?
Oh yeah,we can call ourselves THE ANTI"S

llbts1 12-27-2004 12:02 AM

A 4 wheeler is like a truck, gun, screw driver or hammer. It is a tool. It can be misused like any other tool. Abuse and stupidity with is the problem, not 4 wheelers. My opinion and I have given it, so its Free! Larry

fastfire 12-27-2004 06:13 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Duse500

quote]

You don't have to there doing it all by them selfs.
I know an ATV is a tool But like any tool there is a time an place for it's use.
I also think that the biggest problem with the use of them is just plain lazyness (why walk that 300yds when you can ride).

doughboysigep 12-27-2004 06:17 AM

well said Jag.

not a big fan of the nail thing - that could lead to more serious problems. usually those that have blatent disregard for landowners will have even more disregard if they run over a bunch of nails. they may end up doing soemthing much more drastic to you or your land. I personally would post signs giving them ample waring (not that that should be necessary) and call the cops - they usually are better at giving the warnings.

i'm not gonna get into the whole ATV debate. i'll just say i am pro ATV and anti idiot atv users

quiksilver 12-27-2004 11:23 AM

ATV's have NO PLACE in Whitetail hunting. We use 10-30 pound treestands to kill 50-250 pound animals. These aren't half-ton moose, they aren't 750-pound elk. You can easily drag one with rope or a pull-cart.

Nothing really ruins my hunting day like seeing a quad zooming across the gamelands with a rifle mounted on the handlebars (unloaded and properly cased, of course).

It just seems this simple to me: If you're too lazy to drag your deer home, or too lazy to foot it into the backcountry, you probably shouldn't be hunting there. If you can't lug your stand in by the sweat on your brow, you should probably hunt from the ground or sit by the road.

Around home, ATV's have cost me more good hunting ground than I'd ever dreamt possible. They cut the fences, which lets out the livestock, they shoot from the quad, they leave a muddy mess and a trail of litter in their wake. They ride down the roads. They maim themselves. People actually give these things to their kids as TOYS! Then they call our law office wanting to sue somebody when the inevitable happens.

Granted, they have their uses, but the misuse has exceeded the bounds of reason, and it's probably time for us, as hunters, conservationists, and landowners to express our discontent.

I DO support, however, permitted ATV use among disabled individuals.

MOTOWNHONKEY 12-27-2004 12:51 PM

I,ll tell you what you do. You wave them over, grab them by the collar, and bitch slap them about 6 time across their helmet 3 in each direction. Them ringing ears will remind them to stay off your property. If they come back pull the helmet off and try it again.

stubblejumper 12-27-2004 01:39 PM

We use 10-30 pound treestands to kill 50-250 pound animals. These aren't half-ton moose, they aren't 750-pound elk. You can easily drag one with rope or a pull-cart.
First of all you can't always get a pull cart to the kill site due to mud or deep snow.Secondly a single person can't easily drag a 300+lb deer very far by himself.For the record my quad is used only to recover game and it does not move until the animal is on the ground.I do not hunt off of my quad.

quiksilver 12-27-2004 01:56 PM

First of all you can't always get a pull cart to the kill site due to mud or deep snow.Secondly a single person can't easily drag a 300+lb deer very far by himself.For the record my quad is used only to recover game and it does not move until the animal is on the ground.I do not hunt off of my quad.
Yeah, because every deer we get is 300+ pounds. I must've forgot.
For the record, I've never seen a deer that couldn't be recovered by dragging/rolling out with a rope or by using a hand cart. Of course it's easier to use a quad. It's the lazy way.

FYI - Cabelas Super Mag Hauler has a 550 pound capacity. That, of course, wouldn't carry any 550+lb deer that you may be shooting.

stubblejumper 12-27-2004 02:35 PM

Yeah, because every deer we get is 300+ pounds
I guess that either you are too lazy or unskilled to take mature deer.It is actually quite common for a mature buck to surpass 300lbs in Alberta or Saskatchewan where I hunt.I have never shot a deer weighing less than 100lbs and have not shot one under 250lbs in many years.I get one general whitetail tag( in each province) each year and am very selective about the deer that I will use it on.

quiksilver 12-27-2004 02:46 PM

Correctamundo

I am too lazy to walk to Canada to take a 300 pound deer. I guess I'm stuck taking these puny American deer. I, however, am not too lazy to drag mine out when I get one. I am not too lazy to walk my stand in.

I will not let my laziness become disruptive to nearby hunters when I rumble past. I will not leave a muddy mess when I leave. I won't disrespect my quarry by driving in after them. I ride the shoeleather express, and, frankly, I'm proud of that.

stubblejumper 12-27-2004 02:52 PM

I ride the shoeleather express, and, frankly, I'm proud of that.
You certainly are ambitious if you walk all the way from your home to the hunting grounds and drag your deer home again.I can certainly understand why you would want to shoot a small deer.

onebullet 12-27-2004 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Duse500

Atv's are loud,they tresspass,they scare the deer,
AND thier killing the nesting habitat for the blue-winged butterfly.

I got a camara stolen off of privite property by a hunter
100's of hunters tresspass in a matter of a month in every state.
people are accidently shot by hunters everyyear,
And what was that hunters name who went off ,,,,,,, CHI VANG.
Maybe we should ban hunting or is that different?
Oh yeah,we can call ourselves THE ANTI"S
its called RESPECT for others-----and thats why we are addressing it before they(antis) do!!!!!!!!

did you have something constructive to say????????this is about 4 wheelers- not stealing or bang bang vang - it is also about trespassing and you admit that is a problem, in every state,
got an answer???? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????
if not keep YOUR 2cents [:@] the future of hunting depends on ALL_REPEAT ALL of us

my answer is- you tresspass you lose your hunting priv's in EVERY STATE not just your own which is by the way why bang bang vang had to go to wisc -he had a trespassing charge against him here and didnt appear in court- did you know he owns 40 acres in kenebec county Mn

and he still chose to trespass??????????? more than once-- NO respect

on top of that- if did you read in the previous posts of mine and what I have to lose if not i will repost it for you below

onebullet 12-27-2004 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: onebullet

ORIGINAL: grizzmck

1. used properly for this reason i have no problem-- my back is also totaled - car wrecks, construction company accident and cant lift over 20 lbs or walk very far
now i gotta rely on buds to help me get my deer, and i aint gettin any younger or better at age 44

but at 18 i said i was never gonna grow old and cripped either. how did that happen??-- and now gotta pych myself just to make it to the stand 1/3 of a mile away--but there will come the day i have to switch to a 4wheeler, or catch a ride if i am to continue hunting,

I guess if everyone realized the future of the 4 wheeler lays in those who abuse the privilage NOW
may later in life finding that they wished they would have obeyed the rules rather than saying " aw f_ _k em i dont care i am gonna do as i damn well please and if they dont like it tough sh_ _" and ruin it for guys like grizz and myself

2. CUTTING FENCES-REMOVING HINGE PINS ON GATES then running all over the guys property COME ON
ATV people you know thats wrong- what if it was your land and your hardwork-you know you would be pissed!!!

3. they hunted for years without em--AND THATS THE WAY I WILL VOTE if this continues -even if i have to give up my hunting!!!!!! thats how strongly i feel about respect or lack of
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my previous post called for them to be gone ,banned,- my WAKE_UP call to the quad squads out there

an old saying goes ya dont know what ya had -till its gone-----

think about it and adjust your thinking

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

firehawks got one idea- fine the HELL outta em,
+ take the quad, just like if they had poached take it all--- word will spread fast

someone ought to send this thread to the quad and ATV magazines so they can get it figured out
there IS a problem !!!
d- you remind me of the head of human services who just resigned and i quote"I dont know why the terrorists havent attacked our food supply its so easy to do"[:o] what an idiot why not give our enemies MORE ideas of how to attack us

Duse500 12-27-2004 07:38 PM

its called RESPECT for others-----and thats why we are addressing it before they(antis) do!!!!!!!!

did you have something constructive to say????????this is about 4 wheelers- not stealing or bang bang vang - it is also about trespassing and you admit that is a problem, in every state,
got an answer???? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????
if not keep YOUR 2cents the future of hunting depends on ALL_REPEAT ALL of us

my answer is- you tresspass you lose your hunting priv's in EVERY STATE not just your own which is by the way why bang bang vang had to go to wisc -he had a trespassing charge against him here and didnt appear in court- did you know he owns 40 acres in kenebec county Mn

and he still chose to trespass??????????? more than once-- NO respect

on top of that it did you read in the previous posts of mine what I have to loseif not i will repost it for you below
Panties All wadded up arent they
I will voice my 2 cents however and whenever I want
You dont like it to bad

onebullet 12-27-2004 08:37 PM

what did i say in an earlier post something about "if they dont like it tough sh_ _" or something like that? well there it is

ya just dont get it do ya?- help solve the problems- dont create more- be informed -help people think with educated minds - thats what its all about--will you be ready when this subject is layed on your doorstep? or will you be un-informed as to how people feel and react about this subject or others?

as for the panties thing
sticks and stones dude!!- or are you uneducated as to this childhood saying also??let me know

there are no problems only solutions--John Lennon the "Imagine"song

deeeeeep breath- release slowly
now lets try again!!!

thanks for your post on the trail camera i appreciated it- exactly the type info i need to make an educated descion?-decsion? see how smart i are i cant even spell:D as bill cosby warned me "i wasnt careful and i learned something"[:o]

GOD BLESS AMERICA MY HOME SWEET HOME-say a prayer for those in uniform who protect our rights to do this daily and for all in this forum who are being called on to serve..

Duse500 12-28-2004 05:16 AM

dident sound like you wanted to slove any problem,sounded like you had your mind set that ATV and the people that ride them are all criminals
My point was
You cant ban everything you dont like.
you cant blame everyone the has a ATV for something the few do.
Find out who they are,go to thier door and have a talk with them or most likely thier parents.(dont be an ass either)
If that dosent work call the cops and let them handle it.
post like this arent very smart are they

Well anyway
Sorry if I offened,or got your panties wadded up:DJ/K

onebullet 12-28-2004 12:40 PM

dude i been a biker for decades( my 8th harley) you dont even need to tell me about a few ruining it for all, i lived it before it was "cool"

i said ban them at hunting season- woke a few people up didnt it?

you dont think there gonna get banned if things dont change?, think again, read how upset people are getting and what their answers are to the problem,(nails,string tight wire meant to take someones head off- heres one nobody thought of -the mongolian swing with spikes) does it really need to come to that? read quicksilvers post about how ignorant people are-buy for the kids -then wanna sue somebody when they get hurt-- remember 3 wheeler ATVs? not only banned but shut down forever because of stupidity

no i dont think the post was stupid- trespass and this is the result, tire repair or worse,meant to make trespassers think about the consequences- law abiders dont need to worry about it do they? but they are not going to know if we dont say something! right?

mullis56 01-12-2005 07:28 PM

First of all, don't go crazy and say we should BAN ATV's.....they have a purpose. Many people misuse them, but my dad fell out of 24' stand 3 years ago and wouldn't be hunting if we couldn't take him to stands now with the ATV.

We use them to take people to and from stands, that way you DON'T LEAVE scent trails all over and waste your days hunting when you should be at home because you left scent all over and your chances of seeing any deer is slim anyway.

It isn't right to trespass period on foot or on ATV. In my opinion there really is NO difference in that, and as someone else stated you CAN'T STOP it, there are always JERKS that don't have respect for themselves, animals or other hunters.

People take inhumane shots with bows and guns all of the time....no difference. Each individual needs to only please themselves, and if they can look themselves in the mirror each day they'll do what they want to do.

We don't like hunters were we hunt who walk around the woods or walk to their stands 1/2-1 mile away because they put human scent all over. We don't hunt from ours, we hunt from stands, and we use our quads to drag or to put deer on when we are taking them out of the woods.

This does a couple of things....gets the animal guts away from your hunting spot and allows you and others to use that stand again in the near future. This also allows you to quickly get the animal out with the risk of hurting yourself or others and allows you to hunt more not making a life out of dragging.

We actually got our 1st ATV to help drag this is after we killed 4 deer and on coal mine property which is tougher hunting then hunting 3500 feet. Every 10 yards you have a 10 yard high hill, up and down, up and down. We spent 1.5 days getting these animals out, and were all physically dead from doing this.

BOTTOM LINE.......You have your drivers license to drive, however their are a few that drink and drive but yet they don't penalize you for having your drivers license because of the others that drink and drive. So, don't penalize or attempt to penalize everyone because of the few disrespectful individuals out their.

We don't too many issues with ATV's because everyone that hunts were we do, know right from wrong and if and when someone is out of line EVERYONE landowners, farmers and other hunters let them know.

Back to hunters education, police the area like a landowner and leave the place better then you found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

green01 01-12-2005 07:42 PM

you guys gotta remember that the atvs ride there all year long. the deer get use to them. a guy walking will chase more deer out than a fourwheeler. i have had atvs chase deer right to me for a kill. seems not to many people have time to walk anymore. so let them ride around and maybe you will see more deer. :)

Georgetownboys 01-13-2005 07:49 AM

Last month we got a call from the ranch next to ours. Someone took our gate off the hinges came on in and went rding. When they got to the back fence they cut it, letting the cows out etc. We have since modified the gate and recovered the cows. I sure would like to see some tough laws to help slow trhese guys down.

charlie brown 01-13-2005 12:30 PM

If you are having a problem with ATV users in your area DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! Sitting in front of the computer talking about will do you no good!! In a lot of the western states, and some private hunting ranches that I have looked at for whatever reason, the use of ATV's off of established roads is prohibited unless recovering game. I doubt many of you hunt right from the road, so push for your legislature to make a change in the rules. I have a 4 wheeler, I know may people that have 4 wheelers. There is a law that is in review here in NV regarding the use of ATV's. My family has used the 4 wheeler for hunting, as has everyone else I know. But when you have a LARGE expanse of land with no civilations in sight (I am talking 30-40+ miles and more), you need something that can run all day long, and won't eat a hole in your wallet because of gas. It is not uncommon for people I know to drive 100+ miles a day bird hunting. Stop at one spot, hunt it for a while, move to the next one 5 miles away, and hunt, etc. There is just no other way to do things. For those of you who think people are too lazy because they use a 4 wheeler to get game out, I say GROW UP!!! You will see this in the future. There for a while when I had my kidney transplant, I could not lift more than 10 lbs for two months. Sure, I could walk all day, but with nothing in hand. A 4 wheeler simply becomes a must in these situations. Or we could just ban crippled hunters and get rid of a good portion of the hunting population!! ARGGHH[:@]

I agree it seems like these issues draw people apart more and more. We should GROW TOGETHER TO COME TO A SOLUTION rather than complain about it non-stop!!