HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   4Wheelers taking over!!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/83802-4wheelers-taking-over.html)

llbts1 12-27-2004 12:02 AM

RE: 4Wheelers taking over!!!!!

A 4 wheeler is like a truck, gun, screw driver or hammer. It is a tool. It can be misused like any other tool. Abuse and stupidity with is the problem, not 4 wheelers. My opinion and I have given it, so its Free! Larry

fastfire 12-27-2004 06:13 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Duse500

Ya okay lets form a group and try to ban ATV's.
quote]

You don't have to there doing it all by them selfs.
I know an ATV is a tool But like any tool there is a time an place for it's use.
I also think that the biggest problem with the use of them is just plain lazyness (why walk that 300yds when you can ride).

doughboysigep 12-27-2004 06:17 AM

well said Jag.

not a big fan of the nail thing - that could lead to more serious problems. usually those that have blatent disregard for landowners will have even more disregard if they run over a bunch of nails. they may end up doing soemthing much more drastic to you or your land. I personally would post signs giving them ample waring (not that that should be necessary) and call the cops - they usually are better at giving the warnings.

i'm not gonna get into the whole ATV debate. i'll just say i am pro ATV and anti idiot atv users

quiksilver 12-27-2004 11:23 AM

ATV's have NO PLACE in Whitetail hunting. We use 10-30 pound treestands to kill 50-250 pound animals. These aren't half-ton moose, they aren't 750-pound elk. You can easily drag one with rope or a pull-cart.

Nothing really ruins my hunting day like seeing a quad zooming across the gamelands with a rifle mounted on the handlebars (unloaded and properly cased, of course).

It just seems this simple to me: If you're too lazy to drag your deer home, or too lazy to foot it into the backcountry, you probably shouldn't be hunting there. If you can't lug your stand in by the sweat on your brow, you should probably hunt from the ground or sit by the road.

Around home, ATV's have cost me more good hunting ground than I'd ever dreamt possible. They cut the fences, which lets out the livestock, they shoot from the quad, they leave a muddy mess and a trail of litter in their wake. They ride down the roads. They maim themselves. People actually give these things to their kids as TOYS! Then they call our law office wanting to sue somebody when the inevitable happens.

Granted, they have their uses, but the misuse has exceeded the bounds of reason, and it's probably time for us, as hunters, conservationists, and landowners to express our discontent.

I DO support, however, permitted ATV use among disabled individuals.

MOTOWNHONKEY 12-27-2004 12:51 PM

I,ll tell you what you do. You wave them over, grab them by the collar, and bitch slap them about 6 time across their helmet 3 in each direction. Them ringing ears will remind them to stay off your property. If they come back pull the helmet off and try it again.

stubblejumper 12-27-2004 01:39 PM

We use 10-30 pound treestands to kill 50-250 pound animals. These aren't half-ton moose, they aren't 750-pound elk. You can easily drag one with rope or a pull-cart.
First of all you can't always get a pull cart to the kill site due to mud or deep snow.Secondly a single person can't easily drag a 300+lb deer very far by himself.For the record my quad is used only to recover game and it does not move until the animal is on the ground.I do not hunt off of my quad.

quiksilver 12-27-2004 01:56 PM

First of all you can't always get a pull cart to the kill site due to mud or deep snow.Secondly a single person can't easily drag a 300+lb deer very far by himself.For the record my quad is used only to recover game and it does not move until the animal is on the ground.I do not hunt off of my quad.
Yeah, because every deer we get is 300+ pounds. I must've forgot.
For the record, I've never seen a deer that couldn't be recovered by dragging/rolling out with a rope or by using a hand cart. Of course it's easier to use a quad. It's the lazy way.

FYI - Cabelas Super Mag Hauler has a 550 pound capacity. That, of course, wouldn't carry any 550+lb deer that you may be shooting.

stubblejumper 12-27-2004 02:35 PM

Yeah, because every deer we get is 300+ pounds
I guess that either you are too lazy or unskilled to take mature deer.It is actually quite common for a mature buck to surpass 300lbs in Alberta or Saskatchewan where I hunt.I have never shot a deer weighing less than 100lbs and have not shot one under 250lbs in many years.I get one general whitetail tag( in each province) each year and am very selective about the deer that I will use it on.

quiksilver 12-27-2004 02:46 PM

Correctamundo

I am too lazy to walk to Canada to take a 300 pound deer. I guess I'm stuck taking these puny American deer. I, however, am not too lazy to drag mine out when I get one. I am not too lazy to walk my stand in.

I will not let my laziness become disruptive to nearby hunters when I rumble past. I will not leave a muddy mess when I leave. I won't disrespect my quarry by driving in after them. I ride the shoeleather express, and, frankly, I'm proud of that.

stubblejumper 12-27-2004 02:52 PM

I ride the shoeleather express, and, frankly, I'm proud of that.
You certainly are ambitious if you walk all the way from your home to the hunting grounds and drag your deer home again.I can certainly understand why you would want to shoot a small deer.